cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

@blackkitty2014, ahhhh, the Big Island. That's a good island! 💖 

Oh, that's a fabulous idea about the Vietnamese coffee filter. 😍 

@blackkitty2014   I've never seen that before!  Go for it; coffee's worth it. 🙂 

I've been driving myself crazy tonight trying to figure out the name of the new spice company that imports spices from Vietnam (ginger, red striped dried garlic, cinnamon,) that was on Williams-Sonoma's site recently in their new pantry products section, but are now taken off the site.  The man who started the company is also a chef and cookbook author. The spices sounded really good, and were cheaper on the direct site.  I hope they're still around.

That looks like fun @blackkitty2014 ! Isn’t great coffee just the best. The last time the hubs brought some Kona back from his work trip it was just a fortune! So fun you can get such good stuff close to you! 

@blackkitty2014  That sounds like perfection!  Do you have a favorite way of brewing it?

@blackkitty2014, mmmm, kona coffee!!! And vanilla and macadamia flavored too! Yum. Your pic makes me miss Hawaii even more. 

Noodle-free eggplant lasagna.  I thought I'd take a picture before I baked it in case it doesn't look pretty then. 🙂

We're growing fairytale eggplants; I highly recommend this type!  They are small, the male fruits don't have any seeds (I think this is how it works, but I'm not up on my plant biology,) and they taste as sweet as cucumbers raw!  We had enough basil to use in this, and topped it off with marinated mozzarella balls and our cherry tomatoes, which don't last long at all, for some reason.  Not like the store tomatoes do.

20210717_185316_HDR(1).jpg

EDIT: Final product.

20210717_195615_HDR.jpg

That sounds amazing, @Ispend2much6!

@CookieGirl1  Thanks!  It's even good cold. 

This looks mighty delicious, @Ispend2much6. Envious that you grew those tomatoes and fairytale eggplants! I’ve given up on veggie gardening, but have some serious admiration for those who do it. This looks so good.

@eshoe  Awww, thanks!  I started gardening again after a many years' pause.  It's getting bigger every year. 🙂

That looks really delicious @Ispend2much6 . I forget to make eggplant stuff. I have tons of new tomatoes right now it seems so this would be a good use for them. Gotta grab em before the critters do! 

@Sunnysmom. Or the worms and beetles! My fave cherry tomato recipe is sauteeing them with a little garlic and olive oil, then adding a small can of plain tomato sauce to make a quick sauce. Add some fresh basil then toss with a long pasta shape and burrata

😊

OH yes @Ispend2much6 I make that too! Same way almost as well. DeLICious. 😋

Darn 🐛. Eww. 

Wow looks so delicious @Ispend2much6 😋

@blackkitty2014. Thank you! It was an experiment but it worked out well. 

We'll see in a few weeks how this experiment turns out. Spicy freezer pickles.

20210711_211425_HDR~2.jpg

@blackkitty2014 @Sunnysmom   The pickles are pretty good.  I tried mixing two different recipes together when I made them, and here's what I found out:

1. Using white vinegar is pretty potent!  I may try for 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 white vinegar next time.

2. They taste nothing like mass-produced pickles.

3. It seems like a lot of recipes call for a LOT of sugar; next time I would definitely cut back.  I used white sugar, although some recipes call for brown sugar. 

4. Definitely use dill.

5. Use fresh garlic, not dehydrated like I did.

6. If your recipe calls for celery seed, don't substitute celery powder- it's too much.

I think our best bet will be using these on sandwiches.

Thx you @Ispend2much6 🌹

@blackkitty2014   I changed my mind; the one I sampled yesterday was partially frozen, and today they are thawed and much better!  I'd make them again.

Thanks @Ispend2much6 , good to know. Sounds like lots of work. Lol. I love pickles so much tho I may have to try it. 😊

@Sunnysmom  Thanks!  It's not that bad.  The worst part is peeling and slicing the cucumbers.  Some recipes have you boil the brine and pour it over the cucumber mix before canning (that's what I did,) some don't.  Next time I will probably try one that doesn't require it.

testing