cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Anonymous Insider

Re: What's on your plate?

lately, southwestern burritos with corn bread and Brussels sprouts, bean and bacon stew with mulled wine, curry pizza, and the next thing I cook will be salmon and bacon burgers with avocado and pepper jack cheese! 😄

Today's food:

Breakfast- Cup of tea, cup of coffee, bowl of reduced calorie apple cinnamon oatmeal

Lunch- mini side chicken ceasar salad (no croutons, light dressing), Pellegrino water

Dinner (planned)- Pan-Seared Flank Steak (about 4oz), side salad

Snack for hockey game- air popped popcorn

Was hungry so dinner came early.  I need to learn how to pan-sear better...

Me too - I can never seem to get it right!

Anonymous Insider

@drrragon- Those cookies sound so good!:)

yup, those Brits have got it going when it comes to cookies and sweets 🙂

ok, I was bad and went and got myself a package of Cadbury's Digestive Biscuits.  Basically they're cookies with one side dipped in milk chocolate.  So addictive!

@lylysa --that soup looks DELICIOUS!  Must try it sometime.  I've been really into soups lately since finally learning from my mom how to make pork bone soup.

Ooooo, you'll have to share that recipe!

The fish and tomato soup is super easy to make, the hardest part is chopping up the veggies and even then it's not a big deal!

It's incredibly simple!

Boil water in a pot.

Throw in pork bones.

Throw in some ginger slices.

Simmer for 2 hours.

Throw in chopped tomatos, carrots, turnips, mushrooms optional.

Salt to taste.

Simmer for another 0.5-1 hr.

Yum!!!!!

It's the kind of soup that's even better the next day!  🙂

Thanks for sharing, Drrragon! Simple, yet delish dishes are the best!

Anonymous Insider

@lylysa- YES they do have Jalepeno Cheetos and their not healthy but they ARE GOOOD!

Time to go hunt down a bag next time I hit the grocery store!

Alright, recipe time!!!!

For some background story, my aunt has been making this soup for as long as I can remember. Growing up, I always ate it, it's super basic but so good, kind of like comfort food to me. Though my first attempt comes nowhere near hers (I did the shortened/quick version and she slow cooks her for about 4 hours), it turned out quite yummy! With the left ovr fish, tomato, potato, carrot, and oinion mix and pieces, I put it in a ziploc and froze it for use next time when I make it again! It's a very light soup so it pairs well with food, you can even add in brown rice, quinoa, or pasta if you want to change it up and make it more like a meal!

Tomato and Fish Soup

Ingredients:

-Red Snapper (though you can use other types of fish, I like how RS tastes, you can get filets so you don't have to worry about bones or get a whole fish scaled and fileted and use the spine pieces and head, if you use pieces where bones are still in, you can get a soup or muslin bag to put them in so the bones just seep out)

-5 tomatoes, chopped into quarters, remove most/all the seeds you can (you can add more if you're making a larger pot or for more flavor, I normally grab the on-the-vine variety where there's about 3 or 4 large ones and maybe 1 or 2 smaller ones)

-3 or 4 white potatoes, cubed

-2 or 3 large carrots, sliced

-1/3 of a large, sweet onion, cut into long strips/pieces

-Salt

-Pot of water

(Optional method will include)

-Oil (I like to use sesame)

-Garlic and ginger

Alright you can see I have an "Optional Method" this is for a shortened cook time if you can't spend 3-4 hours slow cooking and simmering this soup. If you're looking to do this recipe in about an hour, use the first step below, if not, you can just add your fish pieces directly to the pot of water.

1. Wash/rinse fish pieces off and pat dry with paper towels, sprinkle both sides with salt. Heat a pan with some oil and add in cut ginger and garlic (feel free to make pieces larger, no need to do a fine dice if you don't want). Lightly fry/cook pieces of fish until half way cooked. Set aside, if you have a soup or muslin bag to put fish in so you don't get bones in the mix, let the pieces settle a bit before putting them in the bag.

2. In the pot of water, add in your fish pieces, potato, tomato, and onion pieces. Bring to a boil, no need to keep it at the highest heat/temperature available, it can cook on a medium high or even on 7/8 level on the stove.

3. Let the soup cook on the stove, adding salt as you please and checking the taste, I like to check within the first 20 minutes. The longer you leave it the more the flavors release and mix, again, you can wrap up this soup in an hour or even let it slow cook on low or medium/low heat for 3-4 hours. Keep monitoring the soup, don't let it boil over the pot, the potatoes will soften, the tomatoes will soften (even separate from their skins), onions will turn transparent, and fish will fall off the bone or break into smaller chunks/pieces, again, add salt to your tastes.

4. Depending on how long you want it to cook, once it hits that mark, turn off the heat and serve! Like I said, if you want to turn it into a heartier soup, add brown rice, pasta, or quinoa to the mix (growing up I would go back for a second bowl and add rice to it).

Enjoy!!!

fshsp.jpg

for 5/13/2013

Breakfast:

-Colombian Blend  coffee with Fat-Free skim milk & sugar free hazelnut syrup shots

- museli with fruit in a to go cup from Au Bon Pain

- Lunch:

- Avocado Chicken & Cobb Salad from au bon pain

- perrier water

- Dinner:

- water flitered through my brita pitcher with sliced limes

- Avocado & zuchinni salad with seasalt, white wine & garlic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, black pepper & minced garlic combied together in a bowl of yummyness

- scrambled eggs with 1 tbs milk mixed in for fluffier effect & fat free cheddar cheese melted into it, & 2 turkey sausage links

- snacks throughout the day:

- Caribou Cold press with vanilla & a couple tablespoons of heavy cream (Caffine lover paradise with pure sugary creamy smooth goodness of badness!!!!)

- a cup of ginger ale I love gingerale!!!! even when I'm not sick

- yellow squash & green zuchhini sliced & baked in  a light sprinkling of oilve oil, rosemary, sea salt, basil & black pepper

For my measly everyday exercise habits of everday life:

around 4 miles or so my fitbit said I shaved off the extra point something and just went with the 4 in this comment no need to get all techie on myself!! I run around like a chicken with my head cut off at work sometimes not to mention I had to pick stuff up from another firm make a trip to the post office for work as well yada yada and actually believe it or not this wasn't a very busy active day for me at work usually by the end of the work day I log at least 5-6 miles not including my wrap up walk at the end of the day.

then today I went around the lake by my house for about 1 mile but it's something like more around 1.7 but whose counting?! anyways my problem mainly is that I don't do enough cardio and aerobics I need to fit that in on top of my walking sometimes i feel with the way I eat so much carbs and sugars sometimes. and how i choose to walk instead of get more active I feel I am just choosing the easy way out but oh well one step at a time I guess for now LOL

Ginger ale! I'm a sucker for that too!!! 🙂 Every time I go out and a place has ginger ale I order it since I don't normally buy it just to have (I'd go through it way too fast). I love mixing it with orange juice and even cranberry juice like a spritzer!

Anonymous Insider

Currently things that aren't the most healthy for me, just got done moving and getting groceries and clearing the kitchen tomorrow, so delicious healthiness is on the way!

moving is quite possibly the worst activity mankind ever invented!  I think you should treat yourself to a nice beauty item or maybe an ice cream sundae 🙂

Anonymous Insider

I had 2 lobster tail on saturday, 2 on sunday, and 1 in the morning 😉

Yum yum!!! I love seafood!

Anonymous Insider

This isn't really anything on my plate but I would like to confess that I have become a Jalepeno Cheetos addict.

They have those?!?!?!?! O_O I feel like I've been living under a rock now!

testing