cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

@SamtianI don't know what it is about them, but they're a lot of fun.

Hi everyone!  I mentioned in the Party Thread that there should be a cooking thread, and Samtian referred me here! 

This is my pasta sauce, tried to copy an old family recipe that was never written down, and I'm so happy it came awfully close.  It took over six hours to make, but it was worth it.  Simple ingredients, but the method requires a lot of attention. Lots of garlic here, @wheeeee- an entire head!

sauce.jpg

Six hours? I bet that was worth every second to have a sauce get supppper slow simmered to perfection! And YASSSSSS to lots of garlic!!! ^_^

Glad you could join in here! 😄

1 Head of Garlic = Delicious-ness!!!!

No such thing as too much garlic!

@Ispend2much6

I agree!

Mmm looks yummy! 

Thanks, @Samtian!

Here is my Chicken 'Tortilla' Soup

(my husband ate the tortilla chips this weekend not realizing I bought them for this soup.  hahah!)

This is the same sauce from the chicken tacos.  I added a quart of chicken broth, can of stewed tomatoes, adjusted spices and cooked more chicken.  Mixed in the black beans & veggies.  This was soooo good!  Didn't miss the tortilla strips and also ran out of  avocado.

tort.jpg

I love it when chicken tortilla soup  has corn! I love corn! I am loving how the yellow, red, and green just POP!

Hello @wheeeee! You've made/eaten some yummy dinners lately. Tonight we had peanut- and pistachio-breaded pork chops with millet and steamed carrots. Looks sort of simple and it pretty much was--the hardest thing was making sure the pork was thoroughly cooked without burning the crust.

pork-chop-43-2017.jpg

Pistachios are yummy!  Need them with pork chops!

I've never done pistachios on pork, but I have used it on chicken and even asparagus.

@DiVWA, any tips on cooking the pork without burning the crust?

@lylysa, I used quite a bit of oily in my pan and didn't fry the chops for the total cooking time; I microwaved them for the remaining time a couple minutes at 70% power.

Ooooo, nice! Thanks for sharing! I would have never thought to incorporate the microwave into the process, but it makes total sense!

Have I posted enough??? hahaha!  @lylysa

(sorry, it took so long!)

Buffalo Wings Recipe

Spoiler
1. Chicken Wings pack (1-2 pounds per person)
2.  Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper
3. Buffalo Wing Sauce (Franks Red Hot Wings, Louisiana Hot Wing Sauce)
4. Vegetable Oil (for frying)
5. Veggies (carrots, Persian cucumbers, celery, cherry tomatoes, peppers, etc.)
6. Bleu Cheese or Ranch Dressing (I like Marie's brand)

1. Soup pot for frying
2. Tongs, Asian strainer
3. Bowl or small pot
4. Prepare the plate with paper towels for frying wings. Extra clean plate.

We are gonna work backwards, so you don't cross-contaminate. 

Veggies
1. Cut-up Veggies, arrange with dressing and set inside fridge. 

Sauce
1. The pro-way. Empty bottle into a small saucepan and cook on low to reduce and thicken. If you like that 'smooth sauce flavor' add 1-2 TBSP of butter. about 15 minutes. 
2.The lazy & skinny way. Empty into a medium bowl, cover with paper towel and set inside the microwave. Don't add butter. ;')

Chicken
1. Fill-up pot with about 3-4 inches of oil and set on low to start heating up.
3. Cut-Up/Wash/DRY chicken wings. Freeze the wings tips for homemade stock.  
4. Season with spices.
5. Check oil temp and start frying in batches!
6. Frying is like 10-15 minutes.  More like 13 minutes for me. Don't over-fry wings! 

Making Hot Wings
1. When wings are ready to come out heat up hot sauce in the microwave for 30 SECONDS. 
2. Place the heated Hot sauce on counter, grab the plate with paper towels and clean plate.
3. Remove wings from oil.  Dab the oil away on paper towels.
4.  Dip the wings in sauce and then set on clean plate!
5. If you reduced sauce on stove, then dip there. 

Serve with the cold veggies!  

If you want Garlic Hot wings.....sprinkle a little garlic powder on top.  I do this! ;')

wings.jpg 

Never, you will NEVER post too much! I love it all!!! Everyone who posts here just puts a smile on my face!

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

I love buffalo wings!

Last week Super-Easy Sunday Supper.

Spanish Style Stewed Whole Chicken.  

Normally this is served with rice, but I like egg noddles better after eating it this way in Peru.

My House

peru1.jpg

In Peru

(perfect hang-over food. either from altitude or drinking!)

peru.jpg

OMG, this dish looks like some no-nonsense good ol' comfort food! That's probably why it's also perfect hang-over food!

AGAIN need recipe!! hahahah for allllllll!!!!

Cajun Shrimp Boil with Andouille Sausage. 

I want to make crawfish but those are only sold in 65 lb sacks around here! 

Can't see this in photo but it was spicy and garlicky just like I love! 

gumbo3.jpg

gumbo5.jpg

testing