cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

I found these at my local market this weekend and popped one in my mouth to try. It truly does taste like cotton candy, which I did not like. I spit it out. 😄

LOL! Did anyone see you spit it out? For some reason, I picture some dramatic scene where you spit the grape out and it goes flying across the supermarket and pegs someone....my imagination likes to make things comedic 😛

Lol! My first impression what the same.  But then I had a few more and I actually enjoyed them a lot. 🙂

I can verify these are very good, but an odd color.....

It was my first try and I liked them after the first grape. Lol, the flavor threw me off because well it's a grape that tastes like cotton candy.

I've seen and heard about these! Definitely curious! 

Definitely give them a try, it's very different.

Tonight's dinner: Creamy sausage stuffed mushrooms (based on the recipe by the same name on Food52) and sliced local honeycrisp apples. It's a shame that my lighting is rarely very good by the time dinner is done. (Ignore the mushroom in the foreground; I began digging in before I remembered to take a photo.)

image.jpg

Wow this looks good! 

LOL @ the mushroom already meeting it's delicious end!

image.jpg

Spring Greens, sliced Sirloin, shaved Parmesan.

1/2 an avocado with cod roe Furikake, Cæsar dressing.

Yummmmmm! This looks so good! I love avocados but have such a hard time buying them and knowing when they are ripe. I always cut them before they are ripe or the are too ripe and brown inside but look fine outside. I am not a good fruit or veggie picker!

etscore1 is correct. I buy a bag at Sam's usually and they are almost always very hard so I put a few in the fridge so they can keep longer, then put 1-2 in a paper bag to speed ripening, and leave the rest on the counter. That way I can stagger the ripeness. If I forget and they are all ripe at once? Guacamole party. 😉

A helpful tip for avocados is to pull off the little stem (?) at the top - the color inside should reflect the color of the meat inside. Of course if the stem has been removed for a while, it's going to appear brown no matter what color the inside appears.

In terms of firmness, basically what I've come to learn is if there's any question about whether an avocado is still too firm, it probably is, and that means it's probably not ripe yet. Green is almost never ripe, though every once in a while I've come across an unusually soft/squishy green avocado. You don't want any dead spots or super soft spots, just like any other fruit. 

I'm terrible at picking out peaches, mostly because I always want to eat them right away and they're never ripe enough at the grocery store.

I'm always glad the peaches are sold hard, otherwise they bruise so badly! Here in humid warm Arkansas, I can ripen one in about 2 days in a paper bag with an already-ripe banana though. My fiancé looooves peaches and hates to wait. 

That's a great idea - as is how you stagger your avocados! That's actually one reason I don't buy the bag. But we never have a problem in our house with avocado consumption! 

I've missed your yummy salad posts, Mimibel!

I'm not typically much for salads, but yours always make my mouth water!

Haha, thank you lylysa ❤️

I do love to make robust salads, filling ones with protein and big flavors! 

That's probably salads don't tend to catch my eye because they're not packed with enough flavor and protein so they seem ho-hum to me, but you're like a salad artist!

I don't (and can't) cook but I thought I'd share the shrimp fried rice my mom made for lunch today (this is why I work at home as much as I can!)

IMG_0178.JPG

Dah size of dat shrimp!!!!! And egg!!! Yes, please!

testing