cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

This is the rest of the grass-fed beef brisket that we got. Today my husband made Texas style barbequed brisket. He grilled this at a low temperature on the BBQ over some hickory wood chips. Very tender and slight smoky flavor.

smoked-beef-brisket-6-7-2015EDIT - Copy.jpg

Oh my. I need this in my life.

Oh my gosh. This looks AMAZING.

I don't know which brisket looks better.  They both look amazing and delicious!

That brisket looks like it's trying to escape the pan!

Slow-cooker meal today (no photo, sorry) - Pork Tinga (adapted from Rick Bayless's recipe).

Pork butt, chorizo, potatoes, and onions slow-cooked with tomatoes and chipotles in adobo. Topped with cheese and avocado.

YUM

Slow-cooker meals are so great!

Yesterday we had braised carmelized-onion-crusted beef brisket (grass fed) with broccoli and small potatoes. We like everything in one bowl with gravy over the top so excuse the rather informal plating (or "bowling" LOL). First photo shows the brisket straight out of the oven, before the gravy was strained and reduced. Second one shows the nice onion crust (which came off pretty easily when the roast was sliced, but still looked great and was yummy). Third shows final result in the bowl.

onion-crust-brisket-6-6-2015aEDIT - Copy.jpg

onion-crust-brisket-6-6-2015dEDIT - Copy.jpg

onion-crust-brisket-6-6-2015eEDIT - Copy.jpg

Today's dinner... Chicken drumsticks sauteed  braised? ( no idea what's the word for this particular method ) with onion, garlic and smoked bacon. With my old nemesis - broccoli! I've found out this to be the most acceptable way of eating it for me. I fried/sauteed it on some butter, with some garlic, salt and pepper... and, it's almost yummy. ( Friggin delish when you're starving! 😄 )

Oopsy! The chicken skin is already gone. It had some urgent business in my stomach, so it couldn't wait for the photo shoot.... Sorry 'bout that. 😉

Chicken with broccoli.jpg

This looks yummy. Even without the skin.

You're too funny with veggies. When I first started eating broccoli (as a grown teenager) I had to have it with melted cheese on it. I haven't eaten it that way in years. You know your trick for eating broccoli would totally work for kale, right? 😉

Skin is the best part of the chicken!

Kale... Yeahhhh... But, I think I'd rather have it raw ( maybe I should try this massage with olive oil of yours ) , if I really have to have it for some unimaginable reason. When it comes to green leafy veggies, I definitely prefer them raw. There's a chance I'm gonna eat them if they're raw. If you cook them... No chance! No thanks! 😄

I don't mind bitter. I absolutely LOVE dandelion greens, for example! And, I love them when they're bitter. It's just the taste of kale itself that I can't stand....

Ordered out for dinner tonight from my favorite Mexican restaurant! Grilled veggie burrito with rice! 

image.jpg

Here's the salad I had for lunch. Took photo just for etscore1 😉

salad-6-5-2015EDIT - Copy.jpg

Spoiler
Ingredients: slivered black (dinosaur) kale, slivered radicchio, thinly sliced red onion, chopped baked maple ham, fresh blueberries. Massage kale and radicchio with good extra virgin olive oil. Add rest of ingredients. Toss everything together.

Ooh, I will def make this. Yum!

This is such a lovely looking salad! I keep trying to get into kale but it's hard for me to truly love. My friend told me about this hybrid vegetable called Kale Sprouts. She said they are amazing roasted in the oven with olive oil and salt and pepper. I will let you know how they taste! 

My go to salad ingredient are chopped up bell peppers! I feel like bell peppers don't get enough love. They are one of my go to vegetables. I prefer the yellow and orange variety ;). 

One day I was eating chopped up orange bell peppers raw for lunch. My coworkers thought I was eating cheetos at first! 😛 

<3, Randee

Randee, try removing any of the stalks the next time you try kale. The stalks are what makes kale taste bitter. It's not going to magically make kale taste like cupcakes, but it should definitely help. 

Whole Foods has a great kale salad in their self-serve salad area (near the hot items, soups, etc.). They tend to have two, but one has feta and... maybe dried cranberries, almonds and something lemony? 

Good idea! Thanks for the advice, etscore1. I'll give that a try!

<3, Randee

I LOVE bell peppers! My fave are the green ones. But, I love them all ( and, all peppers in general ). I put that stuff in and on everything, and like to munch on them just like that, fresh and on their own, too! Ooooo, I do so many things with them... Yum! One of my fave veggies. 

Now, kale... I totally get you. That's where I drew the line. I already eat some nasty stuff I don't really like, as it is, I do. Because it's healthy, they say. Pfffft. Whatever. But, kale... I'm not gonna eat that nasty thang! Ever! 😛 Some things you just don't do. 😄

Anonymous Insider

Sounds better than a coworker I had that would eat raw whole onions...

I can't imagine eating whole raw onions...

<3, Randee

Randee, I know what you mean about kale. It's an acquired taste, I think because it's bitter and we don't eat enough bitter things like our grandparents did. I ate it cooked first, usually in olive oil but also in recipes using fruits and olives and things like that. I used to turn up my nose at the idea of eating it raw, even after I started liking it cooked, but then saw a chef on cooking network massage it first with olive oil to break it down. This massaging really does work! Now I find I'm bored with traditional salad lettuces.

You're right that bell peppers don't get enough love. I'd have to say that they're one of my least favorite veggies. I admire you for eating it so often and lovingly. 😉

testing