cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

lol that's weird, noo!

I made zucchini bread. I walked away from it to let it cool and by the time I got back to take a picture this is how much was gone. haha

DSCN0723.JPG

Yum! I thought I didn't leave any trace of my visit but I forgot about the missing half.....

Great way to get zucchini into your diet! Can you see or taste the zucchini in it?

Have you ever made zucchini brownies? I used to make them when I was baking desserts and using gluten flours. If you looked closely, you could see tiny specks of green now and then but for the most part, the zucchini was basically hidden and the taste wasn't there at all.

I can't really taste the zucchini I think because I shredded it very small but it is definitely very visible. I usually add 1 1/2 times the amount of zucchini the recipe calls for because I think it makes the bread more moist. 

I have never made zucchini brownies, but I did one time (way back in high school) make a zucchini apple pie which was so so good.

You're right that zucchini helps make baked products more moist.

Recipe for Zucchini Brownies:

Spoiler

Dark Chocolate Zucchini Brownies

The texture of these brownies is cake-like and chewy. The chocolate flavor shines through, however, and the zucchini is very subtle. Zucchini is available year-round in most produce departments, so don't wait for summer to try these!

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups zucchini, shredded

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

3/4 cup olive oil

3 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 teaspoon instant coffee crystals

1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly oil a 9x13-inch metal baking pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, sugar, olive oil, vanilla extract, and coffee crystals. Add the flour mixture and stir until well mixed. Stir in chopped walnuts.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. (If using an insulated metal pan, bake for about 40 minutes; if using a regular metal pan, bake for about 35 minutes.)

Cool completely in pan on a wire rack before cutting.

Makes 24 brownies.

Adapted From "Olive Oil Baking" by Lisa Sheldon

These sound really great, DiVWA. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Zucchini is my favorite vegetable but I have yet to try baking with it. It's definitely next on my to do list! 

<3, Randee
Anonymous Insider

My husband has made zucchini brownies a couple of times. They don't always turn out with a cakey consistency though, sometimes they are runnier or something. But they are SO. DARN. YUMMY! I was just saying to him a couple of days ago that he needs to find the recipe and make them again.

Did my mom visit you? LOL. I've never had zucchini bread but it sounds delicious.

10988533_445017355648139_5749382006396436672_n.jpg

Hey guys. I just finished making this pizza. I even made the dough myself 🙂 Gluten free too.

The ingredients are mozarella cheese low fat, olives, tomato, green pepper, and onion. Sorry about the missing piece. My mom couldn't contain herself and took out the pizza and got a slice... she didn't even use the proper cutter thing. ;;

Anyways. It tastes so good. And best of all, free!

That pizza looks amazing! That's awesome that you made the dough yourself too! I need to try that one of these days! 😉 

<3, Randee

Randee, it's so therapeutic too. I honestly just wanted to keep kneading until my shoulders hurt, it felt good. lol. 🙂 And I didn't feel that heaviness I feel when I'd go out to buy pizza. I've been making these thin crust too. I just need to buy a pan that has the little holes in it so the crust under can cook well.

I love how fresh and bright that looks!

Ummm... yes, please!

Blackwhiskey, do you have a recipe for the crust?

Yes I do!

• 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 T. sugar
  • 1 .25-ounce package active dry yeast
  • 1 t. olive oil
  • 1 t. salt
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

For the whole wheat flour, I used the gluten free instead which on the bag says (substitute for wheat flour). I bought it at Sams Club.

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the warm water, sugar and yeast, mixing gently until bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Let the mixture set for several minutes, or until a small layer of foam appears on the surface. Add the olive oil, salt, and whole wheat flour, mixing until combined. Add the all-purpose flour gradually, until the mixture forms a soft but not sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for several minutes or until elastic. Lightly oil the mixing bowl and return the dough to the bowl, turning once to coat. Cover with a dry towel and place in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.

2. Once doubled, punch down the dough. Knead for several minutes into a tight ball, then return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover with the towel, and let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

3. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Lightly oil a pizza pan or baking pan.

4. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to a circle of desired thickness, about 14-16 inches in diameter. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, top with desired toppings, and bake until golden brown, about 16-20 minutes.

I copy pasted this from a site where I got it from.

Thanks BW!

No problem 😄 It's enough to make maybe 3 pizzas with that recipe. I made one yesterday which is ^ that one. But it came out thick. So today I made one with what was leftover and made a thin crust. So with that in mind, I think 3 mediums.

Blackwhiskey, this looks super good! And gluten-free too!

I think it looks yummier with the piece missing.

Looks killer, BW..

I'd steal a piece, too!!

jedi-cat-o.gif

LOL! ¡No pasarán! 😄

6 Replies
testing