cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Too cute!

That looks super yummy! are those small onions in there? I like how rich the gravy looks too.

It is yummy! And, yes - those are pearl onions in there. 🙂

Thank you, Diva.

For Super Bowl half-time dinner, I made nachos. These are not your standard nachos so perhaps many people wouldn't like them. These are more like a salad on top of a nacho.

Ingredients: bottom layer of homemade baked plantain chips, then some cooked adzuki beans, organic roughly sliced arugala leaves, grass-fed ground beef seasoned to be spicy (sort of like "taco meat"), sliced red onion, sliced green onion, sliced pepperoncini, chopped ripe avocado, homemade salsa, and organic cilantro leaves.

nachos-2-1-2015cEDIT - Copy.jpg

Can I come watch the Superbowl at your place next year? 😄

Sure weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Pull up a chair.

I like your nachos!

This evening we had baked chicken with roasted carrots. Chicken had a crust of seasoned cashew meal and ground flaxseed, and was served on a small bed of raw sliced red kale that had been drizzled with roasted hazelnut oil. Side garnish dishes were a sliced banana and some raw seeded tomato chunks.

chicken-1-31-2015bEDIT - Copy.jpg

So tasty looking.

Do you just coat the chicken with the cashew meal and ground flaxseed or do you use an egg or something to bind it?

And what is with the bananas?

I have seen platanos (in Puerto Rico) with dinner, but you are the first person I have seen using a banana as a side dish.

Does it help with digestion?

Do you harvest them?:smileywink:

Also, I love your serving sizes!

Those things next to the bananas are the roasted carrots. I had coated them with some EVOO that I had added a few seasonings to.

With the chicken breast, I lay out some wax paper (but you could use a plate) and put some cashew meal, ground flaxseed and some seasonings on it then mix it all together. I took the chicken and dipped it in the remaining seasoned EVOO from the carrots (I don't usually do this but I like transferring a taste from one plate ingredient to another, if that makes sense--sort of like using lemon in more than one plate item). Then I rolled the chicken breast into a small amount of coconut milk that I had poured on a plate--you only need to wet the breast. Then I put the breast into the cashew-flaxseed mixture and rolled it all around to make sure the coating was over all of the breast. Then I put the chicken onto a broiler (that already had the oiled carrots on). I drizzled just a touch of oil on top of the chicken crust, but this really doesn't need to be done. Baked all of it in convection oven for about 35 minutes at 425 degrees.

I don't usually put a banana in the middle like that but when I thought about it, I thought that its sweet taste would be complementary to the seasoned chicken crust and hazelnut-oil-drizzled greens and I was right--it was an unexpected treat. I also liked the way the banana wrapped itself around the greens to keep them corralled from the carrots.

This is my last Polenta Friday until fall. I made plain polenta but tried substituting the parmesan cheese with ground flaxseed; the result was just as yummy but perhaps the polenta held up better structurally and may be slightly grainier (still just as tasty).

Here is the final version of my recipe, in case anyone wants to try it. Drop me a PM if you try it!

Spoiler

Butternut Squash “Polenta”

2 pounds fresh butternut squash *

3 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (the kind in the green sprinkle container is okay to use) or 1/2 cup ground flaxseed

1 cup blanched almond flour

Preheat the oven to 320 degrees F. Peel the squash and then dice it into about 1/2-inch squares. Put the diced squash inside a couple of vegetable steamers. Steam for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is very soft. Let it cool and then put all the squash into a large glass bowl. Mash the squash by hand with a potato masher.

Add the beaten eggs, salt, nutmeg, cheese and almond flour and mix well. Put the mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish that has been lined with parchment paper. The mixture will be the consistency of thick mashed potatoes; use a small metal spatula to spread the mixture to all the edges and smooth the top.

Bake for 1 hour, or until the polenta feels firm and is browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the parchment (with the polenta on top) to a large cutting board. Cut the polenta into squares in whatever size you want. Serve hot with a sauce on top.

For leftovers, pre-cut them into squares and wrap each square into its own cling wrap and then store all wrapped squares in a sealed gallon freezer bag.

To re-warm leftovers, defrost the wrapped square(s) overnight in the refrigerator. Microwave or reheat in the oven until the square(s) is/are heated through completely.

Optional add-ins:

Dried seasonings such as rosemary, marjoram, thyme, lemon pepper, oregano, aleppo pepper, red pepper flakes, etc.

Finely chopped fresh scallions, or herbs like parsley, basil, chives, etc.

Whole fresh cilantro leaves (no stems)

Chopped carmelized (fried) thinly sliced onion or fried bacon (chop after it’s fried)

Chopped sun-dried tomatoes (the kind that’s dry, not the kind packed in oil)

Grated garlic

* Try to choose a squash that is longer in the “tubular” area and less bulbous. Then try to just use that part for the recipe because it’s easier to peel and dice than the bulbous part. Best to weigh the squash before peeling/dicing. Cut off the long part first and weigh it (unpeeled) to try to get to the needed 2 pounds; if more is needed, then cut into the bulbous section, seed it, halve it or cut off a part of it and add it to the scale until reach 2 pounds or an ounce or two over 2 pounds.

I know I'm gonna be trying this... But, I don't know when. Anyway, you will hear all about it when I do. 🙂

Lunch today - homemade chicken broth, with almond flour dumplings. Those dumplings are to die for! Best gf dumplings I've tried so far. They make my chicken broth all cloudy, but I don't care. 🙂

Soup.jpg

I don't have the recipe in English... And I don't know if I could translate it... My cooking vocabulary is not the best...

Yum! This looks good! And almond-flour dumplings! I'd love the recipe.... [emoticon of cat begging]

Perhaps a pictorial that shows measuring out and assembly? A girl can only hope.

Diva, they are the awesomest dumplings in my gf journey, so far! I miss my mom's farina/wheat semolina/cream of wheat(?) dumplings so much, and these are almost as comforting as those! 🙂

I'll try to find something similar in English, just to see the vocabulary used, and I'll try to translate it for you... It is very easy to make, I just need words/terms/expressions. 🙂

Tonight we had roasted brussel sprouts with baked wild salmon over cranberries.

salmon-brussprouts-1-27-2015b - Copy.jpg

Details:

Spoiler

The brussel sprouts were tossed with some lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and then roasted for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

The salmon was baked skin side up (this makes the healthy omega-3 fat melt down into the fillet), for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, on top of the cranberries. The bed of fresh cranberries had been tossed with a bit of maple syrup, orange zest and chocolate (liquor) bitters. The salmon melded with the underlying cranberries a bit.

Because the skin wasn't crisped up, we peeled it off and didn't eat it. Had it been super crisp, we would have eaten it.

This looks like such a delicious and healthy meal, DiVWA! I made some roasted brussel sprouts last week but i left off the lemon juice and just did olive oil, salt and pepper. I'll be sure to add the lemon juice next time. I love lemon juice on salmon also! Yum! 😄

<3, Randee

Mmmm that looks delicious!

Garlic Parmesan chicken with zoodles today... YUMMMMM! This is sooo delicious! I made this two weeks ago, and I just had to make it again asap!

( Yep, some spinach in there, too. 😉 )

Chicken Parm Zukes.jpg

Recipe:

Spoiler

Garlic Parmesan Chicken

Ingredients:

3 tbsp. butter
6 cloves minced garlic ( More like a whole head of garlic in my case. What can I say... we love garlic! 😛 )
2 chicken breasts-chopped into bite size pieces ( I use boneless and skinless chicken thighs instead. I hate chicken breasts! )
sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, vegeta
¼-1/2 cups parm cheese ( I'm sure I use more )
2 cups spinach

Instructions:

Saute garlic in butter for a minute or two.
Add chicken pieces, salt, spices, and cook until no longer pink in the middle.
Make sure to stir chicken to coat with butter and garlic.
Add parm cheese and stir until the chicken is coated.
Add spinach and cook until wilted.
Serve by itself or over pasta or zoodles.

Easy peasy and fantastically delicious!

This looks yummy. And you even put some spinach in there! So proud of you!

I like to make my zoodles curly. My spiral slicer makes the curl so long though that I have to break it off or cut it every once in a while. Otherwise, our pasta bowl would end up with several long zoodles each. I get messy enough when eating but a super long zoodle would really splash my sauce around.

😄 *pats herself on the back*

testing