cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

goulash.jpg

It looks so good....You best send me that recipe too!

Uh oh! That's gonna be tricky... I don't have a recipe for it. I just... make it. Without measuring anything. Plus, my English cooking vocabulary is not that good.... I can try, though...

This looks yummy.

We eat low carb too. Or I should say lower carb. We did eat low carb for about a year but then wanted to ease into eating some carbs because low carb all the time is super hard. We still eat much fewer carbs (than we used to eat) most of the time. Now when we eat carbs, we try to have them be healthier veggie type carbs like squash and yams and whatnot.

Are you shooting for a certain max number of carb grams a day? When we were really into low carb, we tried to keep it well below 100 grams. Very difficult to do over the long term.

My answer ended up being way too long, so I decided not to clog the thread with it, and PMed you instead. 🙂 I hope your PMs work now?

I'm trying to find some "acceptable" way ( to me ) of eating avocados... Because, they're oh so healthy. Right. I don't think I care anymore... They're nasty!

Avocados are breaded in eggs and almond flour ( plus spices ), then fried. It's not bad ( the best way of preparing them so far, that's for sure ), but they're nothing special, either. Not to me. But, if you like avocados, I definitely recommend this.

We had them with some riced cauliflower, sauteed on butter with some onions, garlic, prosciutto and spices. And, some leftover "veggie burgers" from yesterday.

Those grilled avocados look so delicious! I will have to try doing that very soon! There is this Japanese restaurant I go to that has Avocado Tempura. Definitely not diet friendly but it is seriously delicious! It comes with this spicy dipping sauce that is to die for!

Lately I have just been cutting my avocado in half and eating half an avocado as a side dish with my meals. If I don't feel like making a salad, I'll just eat an avocado with a spoon and some sea salt. It sounds boring but I've been trying to avoid eating too many tortilla chips so it's a good way to eat avocados but down on the tortilla chips ;). I love avocados though! They are definitely up there in my top 10 favorite foods category!

<3, Randee

You don't like guacamole? Or nachos?

Nope. 🙂

That is a challenge.

The very first time I ever ate avocado, I didn't know anything about it so tried one that was super hard and not ripe. I didn't like the taste at all (I mean, who likes it unripe?) so I mashed it up and applied it to my face as a mask.

Years later, I had it in an authentic Mexican restaurant as guacamole and absolutely loved it. I haven't used it as a mask since that first time. LOL

Using an avocado as a face mask always seems like such a waste of an avocado! I used to make a hair mask from avocados and mayonnaise but now I hate wasting my avocados on my hair. I'd rather eat it! 

<3, Randee

That is not as bad as my friend in junior high school.

She had never had a mango before and bit into it like an apple!!!!! With the peel!

Muaha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

That is bad, EvangelineDamon! That is like the time I was purchasing zucchinis at the grocery store and the person ringing me up couldn't figure out what vegetable it was! 😛

<3, Randee

It really is a challenge. But, I think I'm done. I think I'm gonna start applying them to my face! 😄

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, I've tried a chocolate pudding ( healthier version ) made with avocados once... That was not as bad as it sounds. Not bad at all. It is just that I was constantly thinking that I'm eating avocados with honey and cocoa powder, so that made me really... hmmm... uneasy! 😄 But, it was, dare I say, quite good. Gotta try it again sometime, to see if it's a go. 🙂

Tonight's dinner was mac n' chili. It is a casserole like dish that combines mac n' cheese and chili. Plus, chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

DSCN0702.JPG

DSCN0704.JPG

That dinner looks delicious!! Do you have a recipe that you follow for the Mac 'n chili?  

<3, Randee

I'm glad that your photo of the cookies is more of a close-up, although I think I gained a couple pounds just looking at it.

Except for Polenta Friday posts (one remaining to come), this may be my last post for at least a week, unless I post a lunch plate. I've made so much food we have a ton of leftovers, so we'll be eating leftovers for at least the next 10 days.

This is pasture-raised brined-overnight pork belly slices, with some roasted parsnips and carrots and a half banana and kiwi on the side. The pork belly is super yummy, but next time I'm going to crisp the skin at the end. I'll likely add a thin sauce drizzled on the bottom of the plate next time too.

pork-belly-brined-1-13-2015aEDIT - Copy.jpg

Recipe:

Spoiler
For the brine, combine in a dutch oven: 12 cups water, 4 tablespoons vinegar, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds, 4 dried bay leaves, 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. Bring brine to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and let completely cool. Place 2-3 pound pork belly into the brine and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. Next day, preheat oven to 425 degrees and remove belly, dry off, place on cutting board, make small cuts here and there (be careful to not go too deep and cut through). Drizzle with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and rub with 1 teaspoon sea salt. Place belly on wire-racked roasting pan and cook first 35 minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and cook for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees and cook for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 275 degrees and cook for 15 minutes. Total time in oven to this point should be 1 hour, 20 minutes. Then, if you want the skin crisper (which you will, trust me), increase heat to 375 degrees and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes. When skin is nice and crispy, remove from oven. Let cool 5 minutes and then slice. [Recipe source: Paleo Takes 5 or Fewer]

LOL! You've become a food hoarder now!!! I don't mind if you share mixed combo posts about what you end up putting together from your leftovers. 

That pork belly looks delicious and super moist! The idea to crisp the skin next time will make it even better, I'm sure!

Well it is hard to stay away from this thread.... Yes, I'm a food hoarder. We don't eat out much so depend on my cooking to keep things interesting. I always make too much so we always have leftovers.

I do like making a pretty plate with leftovers, so maybe I'll post something....

About the pork belly: this was my first time brining. Most times I see brining recipes they require a lot of salt, but this one required only a half tablespoon so I thought I'd try it. Brining certainly makes the meat moister. But the pork belly has a nice fat cap on it (which is the side you face upward when roasting or baking), and crisping it makes it delectable. I should have done it this time but my husband wanted me to just serve it up and if we liked it, to make a note to crisp it next time. (Better if he hadn't been there at the time or I would have crisped it up.)

I love making enough for leftovers! Whenever I make dinner I have enough for my bf and I to take for lunch the next day at work. Saves so much money to where I'm not having to go out and buy food each day. I make it a point to portion out meats and veggies whenever I grocery shop so that there's enough for a dinner/lunch portion.

That's awesome the brining recipe didn't require you to salt bomb the pork. I'd love the recipe if you have it!

My family gets roasted pig for the holidays and special occasions and the pork skin is always crisped up and so yummy! It's like a pork skin chip, a bit more hearty than pork rinds in a bag since those are more airy.

That's not my photo, but that's how the pork looks, you can see that there's a nice layer of crisp skin on top...mmmm mmmm!

yes, that was the crispiness I was missing last night. But all is not lost -- I can crisp the skin when I heat the leftovers.

I always make lunches for my husband (we have microwaveable Tupperware for this, but he removes the food from it and reheats in a Pyrex casserole dish because the Tupperware has BPA). He is the envy of some of his workers, who come by to check out what he's eating for the day. LOL

I edited my original post to add the recipe. The hardest part is having to keep readjusting the oven temperature.

testing