cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Supppppper easy, cake-like cornbread recipe I follow (my home-ec teacher back in high school gave it to me):

-1 box yellow cake mix

-2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix

-2 cups of milk

-1/3 cup of oil

-5 eggs

Preheat oven to 350, lightly grease a 9x13 pan (merely cut the recipe in half if you're using a 9x9 pan). Sift or mix dry ingredients together, add in milk, oil, and eggs and beat together. Get rid of lumps in batter, pour into pan, bake for 40-45 minutes (if you're using a 9x9 pan it may take 35-40, so just keep an eye starting around the 35 minute mark regardless of pan size). 

I adore this recipe because I'm a fan of sweet cornbread and this takes all the guess work out of how much sugar to use and avoiding making it too sweet but also getting it sweet enough. It pairs great with any upcoming Thanksgiving meals or even on its own paired with a cup of hot tea or coffee!

This whole thread is making me wish I could cook. 😞 It's funny because you would think with a chemistry background I could manage to make edible food but alas, no.

Anonymous Insider

It's nearly the holidays so you can cheat french toast easy. Grab brioche or any egg bread like Challah. I've found cutting up into half slices works best around a quarter or third of an inch thick. let it stale up a few hours in the oven/fridge/open. Douse the mess of it with a food whole milk + cream top eggnog with cinnamon and nutmeg. Pan fry up a nice crust on it all (medium low heat, keep a bit of oil in the pan for each batch you put in). Since eggnog is typically pasteurized, it is fairly goof-proof.

That sounds really good! Definitely will give it a try. Thanks!

That actually sounds pretty tasty, as long as it doesn't actually taste like eggnog. 😛

Anonymous Insider

I promise it doesn't. This is just a way to cheat having to crack eggs and mix up the slosh. 😉

Nice! I'll keep that in mind then! 🙂

I hear ya, girl! I can cook but not well and I certainly don't enjoy it. 😞

It's just sad because my mom is an amazing cook and she can make anything! I think what happened is that growing up she never let me be in the kitchen with her because she didn't want me to make a mess or do things differently than her way. So I stuck with my dad and worked on cars and fixing things around the house.  We also did countless renovation projects together. So now I just don't know how to start learning to cook and my husband and in laws spoil me so I don't really have to cook.

Sounds to me like you have a pretty good deal with the husband though! 

Growing up I had it in my mind that I was going to be the opposite of my mom. Not because I didn't love my mom or respect her, but it's not the life I thought I wanted to lead. My mom stopped working when I was very young and has never worked full-time since. She did all the cooking and cleaning when I was growing up. She still does the bulk of it. But my mom's twin, my favorite aunt, was an engineer who got married in her 30s and kept her maiden name. She seemed more independent and that is what I wanted to be like. 

Fast forward a few years and I had my kids at 22 and 24. LOL But I have worked since my oldest was six weeks old and I'm the breadwinner in my relationship. So I guess I got the best of both worlds in some sense. 🙂

Yes I totally lucked out with him! He has a crazy schedule and works all the time but he does most of the cooking on the weekends and I just eat that the whole week.

I know what you mean. My mom was a stay-at-home mom too. She worked before we were born but stopped. I always felt like she sold herself short because she is so talented in many ways and can do a lot besides housework and managing kids.

I totally get what you mean. I always feel satisfied if I'm pulling my own weight 🙂

Well I'm sure he feels just as lucky to have you as you do to have him! 🙂

Aww thanks! ❤️

Last night, we had a pizza from the Sausage Factory (Castro, SF) and it was everything I had been dreaming about..

We ordered a Tony's Special (Salami, Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, Onions & Sausage), walked up the block to the Castro Coffee company and picked up two bags of fresh, dark beans...

-the Fog Lifter has been my new favorite for the past few weeks; "Strong Morning Blend of Central American and African Coffee; Bold Flavor with kick."

and a new of that I think I am already loving

-Barbary Coast ReserveA full Dark blend of Central American and African Arabica's .A strong but not smokey roast that's sure to please your palate

Both of those coffee blends sound so good! 🙂

This is a future plate -- tonight I'm making leftover baked chicken, steamed green beans, and some fresh butternut "polenta." I'll put some Trader Joe's turkey gravy on top. BTW, for those of you with Trader Joe's stores, their turkey gravy (available right now, until it's sold out) is a great pantry gravy for any time of year. It can actually be used as gravy for beef, pork or chicken too. I don't have much processed food around but this is one short-cut idea that I like. It seems to have much less "bad stuff" than other packaged gravies...

Fabulous!

I'll put it on the shopping list for Sunday. 

Thank you...and your future plate sounds delicious.

TJ right now has butternut squash on sale for about $1.79 each--any size. (If you don't see this in your TJ, then maybe it's a local thing here.) If you see it at TJ, grab one that feels more heavy--it's a great bargain. Butternut squash is a super yummy squash--besides making a "polenta" with it, you can roast it or mash it. When I mash it, I add butter, some sugar-free apricot preserves, and a splash of soy sauce to it. According to NutritionDataSelf dot com, butternut squash "is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium and Magnesium, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese." The glycemic load is only 8.

I picked up a butternut squash today.

They had so many different squashes there from $1.49 to about $4.49..

Thank you for the head's up and information on it.

Would you like my butternut squash "polenta" recipe? 🙂

Yes, please...

5 Replies
testing