cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Oh I love that kitty. I'll try to get this dang spoiler tag to work for me:

Spoiler

Butternut Squash “Polenta” (gluten-free)

2 pounds fresh butternut squash

3 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (the kind in the green sprinkle container is okay to use)

1 cup blanched almond flour

Preheat the oven to 320 degrees F. Peel the squash and then dice it into about 1/2-inch squares. Put the diced squash inside a couple of vegetable steamers. Steam for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is very soft. Let it cool and then put all the squash into a large glass bowl. Mash the squash by hand with a potato masher.

Add the beaten eggs, salt, nutmeg, cheese and almond flour and mix well. Put the mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish that has been lined with parchment paper. The mixture will be the consistency of thick mashed potatoes; use a small metal spatula to spread the mixture to all the edges and smooth the top.

Bake for 1 hour, or until the polenta feels firm. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove the parchment (with the polenta on top) to a large cutting board. Cut the polenta into squares in whatever size you want. Serve hot with a sauce on top.

For leftovers, pre-cut them into squares and wrap each square into its own cling wrap and then store all wrapped squares in a sealed gallon freezer bag.

To re-warm leftovers, defrost the wrapped square(s) overnight in the refrigerator. Microwave or reheat in the oven until the square(s) is/are heated through completely.

Optional add-ins:

Dried rosemary

Dried marjoram

Dried red pepper flakes

Dried thyme

Lemon Pepper

Finely chopped fresh chives

Finely chopped fresh scallions

Grated garlic

You did it!!!!

With perseverance, we can accomplish anything. ha ha

Thank you very much.

This looks a lot "easier" than I thought it would.

I like how you brought a real-life Garfield into this thread!

It is pretty easy.

Instead of steaming the squash, you can always bake it in the oven and then scrape it out from the peel too. Not sure the time for that but probably 45-60 minutes at some temp over 400. I have a couple steamer baskets w/pots so find it's easier and quicker to steam it (but then again, if it were baked, you wouldn't have to pre-cut it so that would save some time).

The end result is very much like polenta in texture but it's more orange. And there's a squash taste, but really not what you'd expect--it's a bit more subtle, allowing for your sauce to come through. I like that the texture is similar to polenta and so different from normal squash dishes. I like regular polenta except that I've gotten to the point that corn taste is unpleasant to me--probably because I gave up eating corn for a while. (Seeing King Corn and documentaries about GMO probably doesn't help either.)

Anonymous Insider

Other than eating out for tex-mex, I avoid corn too. I'm kind of sad that what originally started out a dense protein grain was modified to be nothing but sugar. Well, among all the other tragic things that corn is now.

I can't resist corn.....I'll sit and eat any left over corn salsa from Chipotle if possible.

I love that scene from Nacho Libre.

Anonymous Insider

Pico! Raw onion is the worst sometimes a couple of hours later. In fact, a coworker gave me her recipe for her Garbanzo salad.

10oz drained and cooked (hot or cold doesn't matter) Garbanzo/chickpeas

1 sm yellow onion chopped

1 sm tomato or 2-3 romas chopped

1 juiced lemon

Combine and season with salt, fresh ground pepper, and sprinkle in ancho or other mild spices to taste. This is supposed to marinate overnight but I've been known to fix it fresh and serve immediately.

No pictures, but I ate at Chipotle today. Sofritas finally came to town, it's spicy tofu, so I got a giant burrito bowl. It was so good! I'm going to fall asleep now with a giant grin on my face. 🙂

Well we got home last night and had Boston pizza and chocolate bars for dinner.   Mmmmmmmmm.   

Drooling...

We like to order pizza first thing when we get home from overseas.  It's comfort 'home' food.   The chocolate bars are residuals from Halloween.  

Last night, we had the other two crabs and ravioli.

Tonight was a delicious fare of Fish (and Scallops) and Chips from Camelot's.

We had fresh lemons and Captain Toady's Tartar Sauce. It was hard to find a non-preservatives filled one but we found this and have stopped our searching; ingredients: Canola oil, white distilled and white wine vinegars, cucumbers, eggs, water,  fruit concentrates (pear, apple, peach,) pineapple syrup, salt, garlic, onions, skim milk solids, mustard seed,citric and lactic acids, lemon juice, xanthan gum, peach puree, natural vitamin E (protects flavor), natural flavors, turmeric.

'Twas a very yummy treat.

I would have taken pictures but I ate it! ha ha

So you went to Camelot....... 😛

OMG Best movie ever!!!!!! I don't know how many times I've seen it and it never gets old!

It is cold here! My man requested tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner.

DSCN0644.JPG

That is one of my mans favourite meals!!!! 

I may not be your man, but can I request this as well? 😛

Anonymous Insider

We had grilled cheese on the brain too!

I left my Lodges in the oven to get an extra layer while I was roasting carrots and my husband came to me all sad. "What's wrong?" "I was hoping for grilled cheese." "Why would you think that?" He knows we don't have the stuff around. "The pans, they reminded me of those bacon grilled cheeses you made [it had to have been 2-3 years ago]." "Oh yeah." The local WF had gotten in some huge loaves from a local baker, Straus butter, I think it was a Tillamook cheddar, and then the bacon was Maverick uncured. Most enormous grilled cheeses and our guest had the most distressed look on her face, "how am I going to finish this?" I don't recall that actually being a problem! I haven't made grilled cheese since I haven't been able to lay my hands on all those things on the East Coast. 😕

We have a grilled cheese restaurant and they're pretty good (their tomato soup is more like a marinara <3) but they frustrate me with the order checking. Twice now the clerk has ordered up something I didn't ask for.

That looks so good! Grilled cheese is the way to my heart! 

2 Replies
testing