Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What is your opinion on ELF Cosmetics?

I saw this brand called ELF and it is very cheap, but how good is the make up?

Tags:

Re: What is your opinion on ELF Cosmetics?

Elf is something that you have to try for yourself (and its not like the price could stop you). They have a lot of great products and some not so great ones, you just have to test them and see which ones work for you!

I agree!  You have to try it for yourself. 

I like their Studio line of brushes and blushes. I have never had any luck with their eyeshadow besides the studio baked palette and their $1 chubby liner pencils. Both products work ok with primer, just don't expect any extravagant wear time. Their nail polish is surprisingly good as well.

I looooove the Studio brushes. I bought the set and they are some of my most used ones.

Don't be fooled by price. I dont like some other inexpensive lines but I think elf is great.

And was a counter manager for clinique and Benefit.

Elf is really great!,, I used to work for Lauder!

I've tried just about every brand of cosmetic made. I've reviewed a lot of them on the Sephora review board. I'm, without a doubt, a cosmetic junkie and addict and will try most brands at least once.  I've tried ELF.  Some of it actually compares favorably with top of the line high end cosmetics and some is even better.  The ELF 100 shade eye shadow palette, for only 10 dollars, was on Oprah's list of favorites and one of the blushes was a favorite of one of the top fashion magazines.  (I think it was Allure).  My one doubt about trying the products was that much is made in China where quality control is notoriously poor.  However, I have tried a lot of the ELF products, having been given a large gift certificate.  The eye liners and eye brighteners are excellent, come with a built in sharpener, and are long lasting. Some compare with UD and Stila. The glitter liners are very good. The liner/shadow duo pencils have been excellent. The eye shadows in the large palettes are excellent, also, and the round duos are equal to those sold by L'Oreal, and almost match those in quality and size.  The eye shadow quads (four shades for a dollar) were slightly disappointing but still, better than much of the drugstore shadow. I can't really complain about them, anyway, since it was four shadows for only a dollar.  The blushes have been good.
I choose my products by what the product can do for me, not by the brand nor an expensive price.  While I may be addicted to cosmetics, on the other hand, I'm not a cosmetic snob.  Quality and safety is most important to me.  While name brands are often better, it's not always the case, and often, the most expensive brand is not the best one.  Other times, the cost reflects heavy advertising, marketing, and research and development costs. ELF doesn't seem to do much advertising, which is one of the reasons the cost can be kept low.  It also doesn't go with fancy cases.  Everything I've received so far, comes in cases that are easy to transport. 

The brushes that are sold separately are excellent, considering that the majority of them are only a dollar each.  I was particularly impressed by the eye shadow brush.  I didn't expect a dollar brush (some are a little bit more) to be as good as they turned out to be, but they are. I believe makeup application can be only as good as the tools used to apply them, and the ELF brushes are decent, although I do prefer my Stila concealer brush, a few of my Tarte brushes, and two Urban Decay brushes that I have. The thing is, I always clean my brushes each time I use a brush, so if one brush is drying, I always have extra dry brushes.  ELF had a recent giveaway where they gave ten loose mineral eye shadows as a freebie.  I got ten shades of my own choosing.  While not a fan of any loose minerals, I compared the ELF shades I received to those from BE and Illasmasqua, and found the ELF better than both and the sizes of each container comparable to expensive brands.  The ELF mineral eye shadows usually sell for $3 per container, way less than comparable high end brands.

I have tried blushes, bronzers, moisturizers, eye makeup remover pads, applicators, palettes, gloss, brushes, and other products from ELF.  Since the majority of the products are only one dollar, I've tried a lot, perhaps at least 100 products, and only have one complaint about the quad eye shadow which was a dollar.

My one real issue is that shipping is much slower than Sephora. ELF gives a free product with orders if you share friends' email addresses.  My friends have been, on the whole, satisfied, too.

I still have my doubts about using anything that comes from China, until the quality control is better.  I do make exceptions for Sephora products that are made in China, because I know Sephora has its own quality control.  As far as ELF goes, I've been pleased but, because it's coming from China, until quality control in that country is better, perhaps years away, I only use my ELF products on limited occasions.  I cannot fault the products, though.

That said, I prefer to buy my products from Sephora because I'm very happy with the quality control, For the most part, the products sold at Sephora come from countries with quality control that satisfactorily compares, or is even better than our own US quality control, plus Sephora has quality control of their own which gives me more confidence than buying products from countries where there have been quality control issues. Even the best companies can't check every single product, so I prefer to know that the products I buy at least come from those where there is good control nationwide. In addition to the quality control issues,  I greatly appreciate the help from the Sephora beauty consultants, which includes suggestions to try new products, plus orders purchased online arrived within a few days, satisfying my need to have something right away.  Shopping at Sephora is great retail therapy. I also appreciate the excellent return policy that Sephora has.  Although I haven't had to return much, my Sephora store was great when I had recently had to return two disappointing products.  I also like the 500 point beauty perks, which are usually much better than those offered by competitors.   

(While I'm on the subject of the Sephora  return policy, I purchased some DiorShow mascara from a major department store, when that department store was having a sale during the holidays.  (Buy 2 Dior mascara and get 1 full size free).  The store shipped and made a mistake, shipping one wrong product.  Even though the store made the mistake, and the mascara was unopened, returning it was like going through an inquisition and required that I wait over an hour for the department manager.  Something like that would never happen at Sephora which is another reason, why I usually buy from Sephora.  Sephora's customer service is generally excellent).

I've only tried their Hypershine Lipglosses I got a set for 4.99, and that is a good price. They smell nice, have a decent taste and the color is pretty and sheer. Think these are a good deal for bare lips or to put over a lipstick. 

A lot of youtube gurus have reviewed their stuff. The ELF hd powder is supposed to be good, but it was out of stock online last time I checked. Basically, like everyone else has said, ELF is hit and miss.

Elf really is hit or miss. I would recommend going with the Studio Line if you are going to buy anything from Elf. The Studio Line is the one where everything is $3. Their brushes are a bit better. I do like the blushes I've tried from there. I mean, they arent comparable to NARS, but they arent bad for $3. 

Definitely stick with their $3 stuff if you want to buy Elf. 

I find their stuff is cheap. Not just meaning a low price, it's also cheap quality. I've tried many of there products and there was only one thing that was ok!

Tags:

Actually, I hate to sound so negative, but I just don't like any of the ELF products.  I've found them to perfectly fit the statement that "you get what you pay for". 

🙂

I have bought several of the eyeshadows, both eye brightening shadow and the Duo Creme shadows and it's as these ladies have mentioned: definite "hit or miss". Some are VERY pigmented and work fairly well, while others are sheer and take multiple applications. But since they are so inexpensive, I say it wouldn't hurt to experiment a bit if you see a shade you like. I don't buy any of the foundations or anything like that, the quality ( and my skintone) isn't there, but I LOVE the Studio line of brushes.

I agree with Kalex, some are pretty good and some are ter...

I agree with Kalex, some are pretty good and some are terrible. The brushes that come with the kits are awful, you can just toss them, and the eyeshadows can have some pretty extensive fallout when you put them on, but if you use a shadow primer, they stay on reasonably well. Also, hold a sticky note or some other kind of eyeshadow shield to keep the fallout from getting all over your cheeks.

But if you like the color of some of the shadows and aren't going to use them as your go to shadow (like some of the brighter colors that won't work for everyday), the price can't be beat.

Re: I agree with Kalex, some are pretty good and some are ter...

ELF is always tempting at Target, but I agree with kalex; it's either hit or miss. I have tried the complexion evening / brightening powder (the one with the pink, yellow, blue and green shades), and it was awful on me -- chalky and drying. The bronzing powder drew me in because it's a pretty light color -- I'm very fair, so many bronzing powders can look orange or dirty on me -- and this one wasn't bad. I also bought a lot of the brushes -- they're obviously not as high quality as MAC, Bobbi Brown, etc., but for $1-3, they're really not bad! They don't shed, and they get the job done for my needs.

Re: I agree with Kalex, some are pretty good and some are ter...

Kales, pretty and katie have it right. I pretty much ONLY buy their brushes--and then I only buy the studio line. The 'high end" ones at $3 and up. I've tried their false eyelashes-- TERRIBLE! I've tried their eyeshadows-- many of them are crazy sheer. But they are my go to for brushes.

I have tried several of their products in the past and ha...

I have tried several of their products in the past and have found that they are very hit-or-miss.  Some stuff is pretty good and others are downright terrible.  I suggest going to their website and reading thru the reviews before purchasing much.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
testing