Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What is your current profession in life?

Whether you're in school, an aspiring makeup artist, an edgy hairstylist, a stay-at-home-super mom, the 9-5 desk junky, runnning around in your scrubs, or ya just don't know yet...what is your current occupation in life? *If you list school, please share what degree you're working toward* Everybody feel free to list pointers and opinions. This isn't a thread about who is better, what is better, and how it is better. This is about what differences we are making in life 🙂

Anonymous Insider

Re: What is your current profession in life?

This is a very interesting topic, I love hearing about others lives.

I'm in my last semester of university going for a biology & psychology double major.  Right now I work as a TA teaching BIO 103 labs -introductory biology for non-health professions. I start medical school this fall. 

Good luck with medical school! And congratulations!

Anonymous Insider

Its great to see what everyone does the rest of the day  I really feel like I know some of you 🙂  

Oddly enough, my background doesnt have too much to do with makeup at all!  I started off in Early Childhood Development and wanted to be somewhere in education for young children.  About 90% through, I realized that even though I love kids, the demands were much too hard when I had my own baby to care for & had to decline a few opportunities.  

Right after, I found myself a Kaiser Permanente, credentialing physicians prior to bringing them on to care for patients.  I have about 6 years of experience in the medical-ish field 🙂

Throughout the years, I've freelanced as a MUA & obtained my makeup cert.  When it was available, I jumped at the opportunity to work for Sephora... now here I am!

I do plan on taking some classes this fall, just not sure what for yet 😞  Possibly some Marketing & Business courses.  Sigh... school.

xo, Mia

It's definitely intense working and going to school, and I'm sure it'll be crazier for you than I since you have a little one! But it'll definitely be worth it if that's what you hope for! 🙂

I'm a 9-5 junkie.

I don't use either of my international relations degrees (BA, MA), but they were a great experience!

If I were to get any more specific, I'd probably be identifiable since my company's pretty niche. 😮

I can give this tidbit- I do a lot of graphical design even though I never went to school for it.  A lot of having a good eye comes from practice- and can be learned even without formal training.

That said, I was always creative growing up and (duh) love to experiment with my makeup, nails, etc.

I agree, we are relatively similar. Always had an "eye" for graphic design. That's how I got started at the company I currently work for actually.

Eat, breathe, and sleep Adobe 😉

Anonymous Insider

This is an awesome thread!  I am in my third year of college.  I'm an English major with a minor in Education.  With that combination, I am working on being licensed to teach 7th through 12th grade, but I really want to teach at the high school level.  I have always loved reading and writing, and I believe my grades illustrate my ability at the subject, so I have my fingers crossed for the future!

With all the work I put into school, I don't have a full time job.  I have a work study job on campus and I help a lot around the house since my parents are both on day shift.  I should start a cleaning business lol.

After a few years of teaching, I would love to go to a cosmotology school to get my nail tech license.  With the summers off, I need something to work on if I cannot teach summer school.  I'm the type of person who has to be doing something.  I literally cannot sit still lol.  

I can't sit still either lol! Good luck with school!! Based off previous nail posts, you should definitely be a nail tech! You'd be amazing!!

love this thread! Im a fraud investigator for a corporation. Sounds more exciting than it is 😕  my passion is writing. i am in the preliminary stage of writing my first full length novel. 

its interesting to hear what everyone does in real life.

Its about a teens descent into Schizophrenia from her point of view. Total fiction. Im still interviewing people that suffer from this horrible madness. Theres definitely alot more to it than I thought and different degrees that it effects people. So  im hoping to have all my research done by the end of may and begin writing In June. This has honestly been alot more labor intensive than i orginally thought especially with kids and work. LOL. but i plan to use Amazon to publish so I have that figured out at least! 

Huge kudos for the book topic. From a nurse point of view, I would love to read this- good luck with writing!

I'm a freshman in highschool! So no degree to work toward yet!

What type of novel?

Anonymous Insider

Interesting, investigating anything forensically to find the cause and effect is one of my passions too!   Although, my forte is doing this with computers >.>

It really is interesting what everybody does!

A novel?! Wow, what's it going to be about?

You should follow your passion, but I know it's easier said than done 😉

I work full time at an engineering firm, I do dispatch, data entry, receptionist, basic clerical work.  

Neat! What sort of engineering?

Anonymous Insider

I obtained BA degrees in both journalism and creative writing. I've been freelance writing on and off for a wide range of different websites for years.

When I first graduated I was able to land a job with a tech PR firm. I quickly realized that it wasn't for me and migrated back over to editing. My second post-grad job was working as a managing editor for a daily deals website (similar to groupon and living social).

After that I moved on to Sephora! I have a fair amount of makeup application experience from various MUA jobs during college, so that in conjunction with utilizing my writing skills really make this a great match for me.

In the future I hope to continue working behind the scenes in the beauty industry rather it's through social media or marketing.

I'm currently a full time student working toward a Bio Major. I'm also a part time Pharmacy Tech. I'm also a makeup junkie by night LOL. Makeup is my side hobby. 

You sound like my boyfriend besides the makeup part 😉

Are you pursuing professional school for your PharmD?

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing