Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

What does BeautyTalk mean to you?

A long long time ago, in a galaxy fa-...well, in Sephora actually, BeautyTalk was just a little place for people to ask beauty questions and get answers. Then it slowly grew into a community with more variety of topics being discussed. Then the atmosphere changed and.......well, I'm not sure what it is anymore. Yes, there will be some degree of disapproval/disappointment coming up, but if you want drama, PM me instead.

The original intent of the forum was a Q&A, which is what I still kind of sees it as, and the reason why I'm not too bothered when people ask similar questions. If I have a penny for every time someone post about how to contour, I would have enough to....buy a pack of Sephora blotting paper. Anyways, just like they have the right to post repetitive questions, you have the right to ignore it, let someone else answer it, or linking it to a previous answer. Because BeautyTalk has been here for a couple of years, there's only so many *really* new questions that people can ask. I believe in giving every newbie a chance, because I remember how terrified and tentative when I made my very first post online in a forum, and everyone have written good posts and bad posts (for all I know, this post/thread could turn out to be a really terrible idea). And also, you don't have to like everyone on this thread, I'm sure there are some that don't like me, and that is fine. It does not make you or me a bad person.

The forum nowadays have kind of shifted away from Q&A to a more chat about beauty and life environment, which I'm fine with, altho it took me a bit to adjust my mentality. However, I'm unsure about hijacking thread and the inside jokes. I have a bit of dry humor and likes being sarcastic sometimes, but usually limit it to people I know. If I see a thread where ppl are poking fun at things, even if I don't agree I let it be instead of being a party pooper (unicorn poop in 3...2...). But if ppl hijack a legit question thread to post inside jokes, well, it seems a bit cliquey to me and kind of brush off/ignoring the original poster. When in doubt, I believe in behaving in a professional manner, but this is not a professional skincare/beauty forum, so I understand if this seems a bit stiff/stuck up. It's just that some threads are like a big party where anything goes, so if I don't agree then I leave, but other threads are more....factual? legit? where such behavior might not be appropriate?....the crossover confuses me. Or maybe I'm just too old (in BT age) since to me, this is like the casual office party, where I have fun but still keep it somewhat professional polite, while some people sees it more like a dorm party, where anything goes?

I don't know, that was not as well written as I wanted at all, but basically to me, BT is a semi-professional environment where people do beauty Q&As along with some get to know each other things. If you want to make a party thread and get naughty, then fine, but if some of the inside jokes end up hijacking other unrelated thread that could've been important to someone, not as cool. But, what is BeautyTalk to you? or rather, what kind of place do you want BeautyTalk to be?

Re: What does BeautyTalk mean to you?

Lol, n00ner? I still don't know why that is bad...

Ah, used the google machine, I got it. Afternoon delightupload_8401884584271303928.jpg

thanks for the vocab lesson!! that once had me confuzzled!! 

Hehe, now to teach more bad phrases....

i think there are is a variety of things - yes it's a place to talk beauty...i like looking at the hauls, seeing the empties and swatches and finding new ideas for products.  

i also have been fortunate enough to meet some amazing women who i am able to have a chance to be silly with at times...bt does have an off topic board and i feel that if they did not want these posts..this board would have never existed.  with everything serious and crazy and horrible that happens with the world is being a little silly that bad?

To me it's a place where I can discuss my love of makeup with other makeup junkies. People I know in real life just aren't all that interested in makeup so I love that this is a place where makeup lovers can all come together.

I started browsing BT well over a year ago by searching threads for makeup that would be good for my Indian skin tone and complexion. I only started posting this passed October and I thought BT was overall a great place. I think with the amount of time I have spent here, I've gained some knowledge and would like to help newbies and veterns of BT. Everyone has an opinion and I think we are all entitled to give it.

Just my 2 cents! Smiley Happy

BT is the place where I go pretend I don't have a paper due in the next 2 hours 15 mins and will probably not write until the last 45. Best place ever <3

I come here to look around. I click on a question and read, inform myself, etc. I think everyone here is pretty cool and respectful, although I can't say I'm here every day so I don't know for sure. The times that I have seen a post derailed a bit it's only been in a silly shenanigans way, which I do like because I have enough seriousness at work but I can see how someone might take it the wrong way. I guess the reason why I like it is because personally I don't give advice as I am a newbie, and if I can't give advice or have no questions and can't be silly, I would feel left out.

And done, gotta go write that paper. For reals this time Smiley Happy

Haha, I don't mind the shenanigans (and have saved a couple llamas pictures for future reference), but it's the thread hijacking that I'm hesitant on. I know what they are talking about, or I don't care what they are talking about, but I can see how this would confuse and turn off new BTers. =)

I have to say my favorite off-topic thread is the naughty pet one. XD

I haven't been around to see a real hijack I suppose. 

BT is a place where I can share and learn about beauty/makeup (and occasionally fashion). 

Well said, beautytester!  For me, this is a place to talk about make up, beauty, and of course the lives of people who love beauty and make up.  I don't mind repetitive threads (I have probably posted a few myself) because people are always trying out new products, so the suggestion might change once a few months have passes.

I also don't mind the inside joke threads, except for when a legitimate beauty query thread get hijacked by in jokes.  I think people have been going a little snow/stir crazy for a couple weeks, thus all of the llamas/deyore/photoshops- which I think are great and do have a legitimate place in the community.  Just maybe, not as a response to someone who is actually looking for help.

I agree that it can come off as a little cliquey- just my opinion as someone who is newer to BT and who also is not up late for some of the (hilarious) threads where these jokes come up.  It's fun to wake up and see what crazy antics all you night owls were up to overnight, but maybe if I was brand new to the community and didn't have some sense of the personalities of the posters, I might feel intimidated or excluded if the only answer I got to a question was a gif of a mustachioed alpaca. Smiley Happy

I don't mind the cliqueyness, it's the way of life sometimes. I just don't like when it gets mean. Don't get me wrong, there are sooooooo many times where I think, you've got to be kidding me with this, but I try to be gentle, you just never know how fragile people are on the other end of the screen, ya know what I mean. Idk, I think all of these online bullying suicides has made me paranoid about internet etiquette, I prefer to be mean in person lol.

Its no fun unless you can SEE them cry right? Smiley Tongue 

That is so true though, we (I) always assume the people here are of a certain age when really they might not be and they could be fragile.

Even my bestfriend and I who live far apart often fight because we think the other is being rude when we are not trying to at all, internet relationships when everything is spelt out in words is very tricky..

Yeah, I'm usually a pretty sarcastic person in real life, but I try to be more reserved online. Sarcasm is sometimes hard to get across without the benefit of tone of voice and facial expressions.  I worry that it might come across as just mean to someone who is already having a rough time!

i like the camaraderie, don't mind the jokes and the silliness so much because i realize that a lot of the women on here are working professionals and have to be serious all day and perhaps they feel comfortable enough on BT to be themselves and cut loose a bit.  however if it crosses the line of just hijacking or trolling a post i would hope that the mods would step up and handle the situation. 

When this forum started it had a more professional vibe because the emphasis was basically on exchanging beauty ideas and asking questions or for product recommendations.  There was an actual group of Sephora staff that presented itself as professionals in the industry who gave very good advice and shared their expertise.  Two or three of them would answer one question in some instances.  Now that the board has grown in membership size and the mods seem to be more focused on making sure nothing they deem "inappropriate" stays posted, some of the original structure is gone and it appears that anything goes.   Sephora quite frankly fostered the concept of dividing people up in groups with the heart concept and accompanying tags they assigned and then later creating the rouge designation.  The inside jokes and familiarity naturally stem from it.  If a person isn't interested in a subject, or doesn't get the reference within some of the threads then why not move on?  I think it's definitely much different when I first started, and when I lose interest I don't log on for awhile.  But I don't think it's not as good or valuable. 

Oh! Valid point! Many of the mods here have/are working in the industry, and I do wish we would see more advice/beauty chats from them instead of the CS stuff they are now stuck with due to Rouge mess and because they are nicer/better at it than some of the actual CS ppl we chat with (we love you, mods!). Occasionally one of the mod would mention Sephora office, or working backstage at a fashion show and I'm like "oh oh oh! tell me more!" but alas, they have to handle BT, Facebook and Q&A for all the products so not as much time for chatting I suppose. =(

Yeah BT, they do have their hands full with customer service issues I suppose.  I wonder if they miss the more advisory role they used to have.  The Rouge thing was an absolute disaster and I felt really bad that they didn't seem prepared to deal with all the complaints and questions, not their fault at all.

I'm a Newcomer in every sense of the word -- to BT (6 days so far!) and to make-up (still too much of a coward to take an eyelash curler to my eye!).  I'm quite shy both in real life and online, thinking that other people might not find my responses/opinions interesting, and admittedly, I was a bit of a silent reader before finally making a BT profile.  One of the things that influenced my decision to join was the "casual office party" atmosphere that you described -- there are fun non-beauty-related topics, but when someone has a serious question, there are always people who can give very detailed and helpful answers.  I think keeping this balance would be healthy for BT so that everyone, whether they are Hall of Famers or Newcomers, can choose which aspects of the forum they would want to be active in.  

Don't worry, MlleCC, I STILL freak myself out about using an eyelash curler!

I think that is why I avoid an eyelash curler. Luckily, I am usually able to get them to curl without one.  The pinching.. no fun at all.

Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • upload_8401884584271303928.jpg
  • paula deen riding llama.jpg
  • toner.jpg
  • toner.jpg
  • upload_7412063018088614394.gif
  • upload_5621369073291014187.jpg
  • upload_1850697204127021819.gif