Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Wedding Dresses

'Tis the season of engagements. That, plus kellsmuneoka's thread about Ridiculous Prices and IllegallyBlonde's Engagement Rings thread, made me start wondering about wedding dresses. If you're married, what was your dress like? If not, what is your dream dress? How much are you willing to spend?

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Although I'm engaged, I haven't even started looking for a dress because we won't start planning the wedding until my fiance moves up here...but that should be happening soon! My research has now begun by watching marathons of Say Yes to the Dress lol.

Anyway, rant and rave away!

Re: Wedding Dresses

Thanks and congrats to you too! Have fun shopping for dresses Smiley Happy It was a total blast for me and one of the least stressful parts of wedding planning so far

My wedding dress kind of looked like this, but had more satin and less lace (and less cleavage).

Your overall wedding budget really dictates how much you can spend on your dress (hopefully you have one -- if not, the spending is difficult to manage and you don't want to be wedding-poor).  You should definitely get a dress that makes you feel beautiful, but that doesn't mean you need to spend a fortune on it.  I ended up spending around $800 on my dress, which was about 5% of my budget (keep in mind this was 10 years ago).  What I wouldn't skimp on is the photographer (your photos last forever) and the venue (makes a huge difference), but things like cake and flowers would be where I would go cheap if necessary.

Google "Man Plans Girlfriend's Dream Wedding Using Her Pinterest Boards" for some awesome cuteness!

I would kill him. We were engaged for 18 months and I loved it. I didn't even have all the typical events. We just had fun being dorks planning a wedding. Smiley Happy

congrats jellybean917!

I was a two dress bride...the first dress was romantic and soft. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

The second was a sleek, sophisticated trumpet for the reception. I love that dress, too, but it reminds me of dancing the night away with our friends on the dance floor. Smiley Happy

We loved the entire engagement and wedding planning process. I think dress shopping was my favorite part and cake tastings were my husband's.

I hate the thought of women getting giddy over engagement rings because to me it's a symbol of women measuring their worth monetarily and buying into all these constructed ideals about gender roles and diamonds, *but* the wedding dress is a different story!  That's fashion, and it's a valid form of self-expression. 

I bought mine in February.  I don't know how I found it, but I saw a picture online and fell in love, and then a local boutique was having a trunk show so I had to have it.  I tried on the dress by myself, and decided I wanted to buy it the moment I put it on.  I was very lucky that the sample size 8 fit me.  It looks stunning on.  I tried it on and then walked out to the big mirror, and another girl was trying on dresses with her family.  Her aunt pulled me aside and was like, "Can you show this to my niece, I want her to see this!"

I was going to buy it anyway, but getting a random stranger's approval sealed the deal for me.  The funniest part is, no one has seen me in the dress yet besides the sales associates!  Only two of my closest friends, and the bf, of course, know that I even bought a dress.  

I really hate the whole wedding thing.  I've always wanted to choose my own destiny in life, and being a wife or a mother has always turned me off because they're roles in which you're defined in relation to other people.  I never dreamed of getting married or wedding dresses when I was growing up, so the idea of spending a ton of money on a wedding has never appealed to me. 

I don't see myself as a very feminine/girlie person, even though I like some very girlie things like makeup, baking, and hot pink.  I try to balance that out with my love for more masculine things like skulls, martial arts, and grossing people out.  Smiley Happy  So anyway, the dress I bought is actually a cocktail dress with a tulle overlay -- it's two separate pieces.  I'm justifying the cost of it by the fact that I can actually wear the cocktail dress outside of a wedding, and you never know when you'll need an ivory cocktail dress!  I love the Giuseppe Zanotti alien spike heels, but I just couldn't justify spending $1250 for them.  I bought a pair of Cole Haans on the cheap which I'm planning on painting and then strassing myself so hopefully they'll end up looking like the Jimmy Choos. 

That's stunning...and I LOVE Reem. How awesome that your shoes will be visible!

OMG you would have to have a dress like that to show off seriously killer heels! Awesome!

You're so right though, it should be a time to let your personality shine through. A lot of people forget that it's their day with their significant other - not their parents', etc.

I LOVE those shoes and that dress! I personally am not a fan of short dresses (just a personal preference) BUT I give major props to anyone who rocks one down the aisle! Especially with those shoes. What a beautiful statement Smiley Very Happy.

Whimsically yours,
Janine

You can totally spike your heels yourself! Check out tutorials on YouTube -- also spikes are pretty cheap!  Ive spikes heels and bras for my friends weddings and parties ;D

Love the shoes with the spikes, soooo cute!

<3 Melissa

I went through a Say Yes to the Dress marathon phase as well after getting engaged. I was a bit more relaxed during the wedding planning process though. People freaked out when, by February, I didn't have a dress purchased (my wedding was in July). I saw no reason to stress, so I didn't. And it made wedding planning actually FUN for me.

Anyway, here's my dress (no idea why I couldn't find a stock photo of the back without writing on it)!

The back:

The front:

We looked so young! (Ignore my sweaty face... it was like 110 degrees on the Gulf Coast)

You guys are so adorable <3

Thanks, IllegallyBlonde! <3

You're a beautiful couple! I love the back of the dress, too -- it's really lovely. Smiley Happy

Thank you, Katie! Smiley Happy

So pretty! Love the photo of the happy couple.

Thank you, Jellybean! And congratulations on your engagement! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

You look like a mermaid Smiley Happy Congrats! I live on the Gulf Coast as well so I know your pain.

Thank you, Spyski! Smiley Happy My wedding was the first time I've ever been to the Gulf Coast (Destin, FL specifically) so perhaps July was a bad time to choose. My curls fell flat and everyone was sticky-sweaty by the end of the night, but it was such a fun experience. I honestly can't wait to go back! Smiley Happy

First time to Destin and hopefully not the last. The most beautiful waters around Smiley Happy

Oh, I seriously hope it wont be my last time in Destin. I'm shooting for a visit this spring or summer (I'd like to avoid the summer crowds). I swear, Destin/Fort Walton has some of the prettiest beaches in America! Smiley Happy

@CzaCee, I LOVE those dresses. They're ornate and just gorgeous. 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
4 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos60
  • 199925_1019178167179_3048_n.jpg
  • 207521_1019177247156_6875_n.jpg
  • New_England_Nautical_Theme_for_Southern_Wedding_WillettPhotography_occasionsonline_-069.jpg
  • New_England_Nautical_Theme_for_Southern_Wedding_WillettPhotography_occasionsonline_-111.jpg
  • upload_6772960581086549171.jpg
  • lovely.jpg
  • boho.jpg
  • asfd.jpg
  • upload_407119520607931032.jpg
  • upload_1714164648284367080.jpg
  • upload_7566454779436247536.jpg
  • upload_5790774607234684195.jpg
  • cf25dae33c456d57965f66b2b50d104e.jpg
  • ideal.jpg
  • upload_8086713726843531067.jpg