Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty

Wedding Advent Calendar Help

Hey ladies, I need some help. I'm putting together an advent calendar for my best friend where she will open a gift once a week. I have 12 weeks to fill and would appreciate any ideas. I know the groom well too, so I'm going to add some things for him as well but any recommendations for her, him or them as a couple is very much appreciated.

She's a little tom-boyish and not one to really pamper herself. Really into Star Wars and her wedding is galaxy themed. She's Jewish, so if anyone knows of a related item I can add, that would be great.

This is what I have so far:

• Ring Dish
  • Jordan Almonds
  • Face Masks
  • Advil, mints
  • Province Apothecary Oil
  • Nail Polish & Hand Cream
  • Bath Salts
  • Tazo Tea
  • Bite Lip Mask
  • Bottle of Gin/bubbly

I don't really love all my ideas so would appreciate any and all advice.

Re: Wedding Advent Calendar Help

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I've incorporated them and come up with the final list. I've been really busy so I haven't gotten hold of much yet, but I am hoping to still put it together in time for the bachelorette. 

This is my question, for your closest friends, how much would you consider a fair amount to spend on a present, if you gave one? I'm also now paying for part of the bachelorette so its adding up pretty fast!

@Aaliaa Another place for nerdy and Star Wars stuff is superherostuff dot com.  They usually have really good deals, often better priced than Think Geek.  Hope all is going well with this project.

@Aaliaa how fun! I see someone mentioned lush and I also think bath bombs could be really nice! A present for both of them potentially and they totally make space themed ones!

They also make star wars themed fridge magnets (my brother in law is super into star wars as well) and i got the cutest ones for his xmas stocking on etsy or amazon I can't remember !!) and everyone needs fridge magnets! 

You could also do a "movie night" with buttery popcorn and candy. 

If you have a liquor store near you that sells it i just tried three olives rose for the first time (it's rose flavored vodka) and it's so good and a little more unique than a regular bottle of wine. 

Also there's lots of less religious holiday stuff you can get - like they have a "mensch on a bench" instead of elf on a shelf.  And if they are going to celebrate both sets of holidays since he isn't jewish you can get totally cute Jewish Christmas tree ornaments! 

OOh you could also get one of those maps where they mark it whenever they visit a new place

Scratch off masks!! I love it, especially because they love to travel. Thanks @Kim888 and everyone else, I'm really loving your suggestions 😃

maps! Haha, obviously know whats on my mind!

@Aaliaa This is really the sweetest idea, and your friend is so lucky to have you! There is lots of cute Star Wars stuff on etsy. Theres Darth Vader soap, funny t-shirts, sole of shoe decals, various stuff with Hans and Leia "I Love You...I know" quote, etc.

Yes! There are some fun things like this on Thinkgeek too (although the tauntaun sleeping bag might be a bit big for an advent calendar 😂).

Oh my god ThinkGeek is perfect @fieldsofclover. To say she's obsessed with Star Wars is an understatement. She convinced our accounting professor to delay the exam by an hour so she could buy tickets online when the Star Wars release a few years ago.

@Aaliaa Since she's Jewish, but not religious, does she celebrate the major holidays?  Seder plate, kiddush cup, menorah come to mind. Will the wedding have Jewishness to it? Like Breaking the glass or signing the ketubah, there are keepsake versions of both.

I'm not too sure if there will be elements of Judaism in the wedding. I know her fiancé isn't Jewish and its a non-denominational ceremony so I'm assuming it will be limited if any. I was considering a Menorah, lets see if I can find one in my budget. Thanks @TrysBeautyItems

There are basic menorahs to art pieces. If you aren't familiar, there's two types, the Hunukkah menorah has room for 9 candles.

Another thought add gelt, basically chocolate wrapped 'gold' coins. Or a nice candle.

@Aaliaa

@Aaliaa One great wedding present for Jewish friends that could be small enough to go in this would be a mezuzah... there are lots of artists who make them now so you can probably find a nice one on Amazon for as much/little as you care to spend. It's the kind of thing where you can totally have more than one, they're pretty even if you're not religious, etc. I got a couple as wedding presents and they're really meaningful because you know the person really took the time to pick out something they liked and thought you would like too.

Bonus savvy-friend points if you also buy the little scroll that is supposed to go inside, but it would be a great present either way.

A mezuzah isn't a mezuzah without the klaf, or scroll, which has the Shema prayer. Mezuzahs are placed on the door frame where entered for protection/religion reminder.

@TrysBeautyItems Oh for sure, my thinking was just that if I knew a non-Jewish friend were buying one for me and dropping the extra $25 for the klaf would mean them choosing a case they liked less to stay within budget, I'd personally rather they not worry about it.

Gotcha, everyone has different price points. The handwritten ones are going to have a larger price tag.

Yeah, but the photocopied ones aren't kosher anyway, so they're sort of pointless 💸

Yes, but more budget friendly lol

Thanks for this @fieldsofclover. This is going to require some research but I like the idea of adding something a more traditional so this is great. She's not religious but I think this could still work well. 

@Aaliaa You are so thoughtful!  I think you have a lot of great ideas, and the BICers had some great ones as well.  

I don't think I have much to add except maybe some stationery and stickers.  I love those things, and she might put them to good use since you two live in different cities.

Books can also be nice gifts.  It could be wedding-themed, a favorite of yours, or a gift book.  

What a great suggestion @greeneyedgirl107! Stationery definitely comes in handy when it comes to all the thank you notes. 

Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 137 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing