Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

The What R U Watching Challenge ~ Post Your DVR or Streaming Queue!

So I know there are various threads where we post what we are viewing/streaming but I thought it might be interesting for 2018 to have a CHALLENGE to post the queue of your choice for what you are currently seeing on your screen. 🙂

Rules:

1. Rules... There are no stinking rules! (just kidding!)

2. No really.. basically take a screen or type a list of the queue of your choice. Acceptable lists could come from such places as your: home DVR, YouTube, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, etc.

The more we share... the more you know! (oh wait... I'm not an NBC commercial!) But in all seriousness, my hope for this thread is by sharing these pics and/or lists we will learn about new shows, movies, series, etc. that some of us maybe never knew about before. The more we share, the more we learn. Sharing is caring!!!

So here is my share as of 01/16/2018 (taken from my home DVR via Verizon Fios):

IMG_0183.JPGIMG_7657.JPG

Yes, I have a problem. And my problem is named BRAVO.

@veronika23 @Tamara76 @Anonymous @tsavorite @ZombieMetroAnt @Ispend2much6 @darkiceis @Mcakes @k617 @mermadelove

(please tag others to join in the fun!)

Re: The What R U Watching Challenge ~ Post Your DVR or Streaming Queue!

@RebeccaBT I have heard about this documentary and I guess I need to sign up for Hulu again. I'm guessing there are two sides to this which is why they are on two different streaming services? 

@ZakiyaBT I have only watched the Netflix documentary, but from what I understand the Hulu is a lot more informative on the logistics and how much money was actually taken. The Hulu version is on my list, so once I watch I will let you know what I think! 

Best,
Rebecca  

Thanks girl!

RE: The What R U Watching Challenge ~ Post Your DVR or Streaming Queue!

Has anyone been watching “you” on Netflix?! It really sucks you in!

Re: RE: The What R U Watching Challenge ~ Post Your DVR or Streaming Queue!

@Kim888 I just binge watched the series yesterday! I can’t wait for season 2!

OMGGG @Kim888 ! It took me two days to finish YOU because I did get sucked in!! It's soo good. I saw the trailer when it was on Lifetime @JaneanBT & it was already so interesting! I'm also so excited for the second season. Love Elizabeth Lail.

RE: The What R U Watching Challenge ~ Post Your DVR or Streaming Queue!

I started watching this just a little before New Years and am still on episode 3 🙈 only reason I’m watching it is because of Penn Badgley I honestly don’t know yet if I like it or not, but definitely will finish it. I like his character, because there’s people out there that think just like him to that extent but we’ll see

@Kim888 Yes it does! And surprisingly my Fiancé liked the premise of it more than I did.   Lol I can’t wait for the next season! I need answers!! 

Hi @Kim888,

Not to be THAT person, but I watched YOU when it was on Lifetime and it was so annoying because I didn't have anyone to talk to about it! IT IS SO GOOD! I cannot wait for next season! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

@JaneanBT I didn’t realize it has started on lifetime! That is always the worst when you get obsessed with something and no one else watches!!! 

Yes! already finished it! It filled the void that Dexter...

Yes! already finished it! It filled the void that Dexter left in my life😁 @Kim888

Hubs got Netflix so we are watching Sex Education 🙂 It's rather frivolous but I'll watch anything with Gillian Anderson!! ❤️

gillian.gif

Also, people were not kidding about Canadian Netflix versus American Netflix!!! I started off thinking I could stream all these movies and every single director I searched for came back with NOTHING or just one film :'(

So we finished watching the series and I have to take back both things I said about the series! The humour is not all that British. In fact, I would say it's more American in sensibility despite the British setting. I also didn't find it to be frivolous after finishing the series. The characters are three-dimensional and the show grapples with a number of serious issues with humour and sensitivity. There is also so much diversity and it's entirely uncontrived.

@pocketvenus I thought the humour in Sex Education felt very British... but perhaps not the usual stuff that gets made or exported. I laughed so hard when Maeve said that Eric looked like a Wotsit!!! I miss how mean friends are to each other - Midwest Americans just don't have the same snarkiness. I actually grew up relatively close to the area where a lot of it was filmed and can confirm that rural secondary school life (particularly the last two years, which are optional sixth form) was and is still extremely similar (they were just starting to introduce the very American idea of school proms back when I was 16). I can see how they've added an American vibe to appeal to a broader audience in terms of the lack of school uniform (although most sixth forms don't require uniform, almost all secondary schools do) and I've honestly never seen a jacket like the one Jackson wears worn by anyone at a secondary school or sixth form, but different schools have different stuff *shrugs*. Lockers are also more common at newer sixth forms but they typically make you pay a fee to discourage vandalism, which is still so much better than having to lug all of your crap around all day to different classrooms. I don't know if anyone else felt this but it reminded me of the 2007 film Charlie Bartlett. There's also a weird 80s / 90s vibe despite it being set in the present, which made it very relatable for me since I was at sixth form in the mid-90s. Now if we can just have the next season of The End of the F**cking World!!!

@sockmagnet, wow I typed up a whole response and BIC ate it!!!! 😞 😞 😞 Just wanted to say, I totally agree about the difference with Americans not teasing/taking the piss out of others in the same way! I guess for me, the prom episode surprized me and read as American to me because prom is such an important part of American culture. Even though we have proms in Canada, it still feels quintessentially American to me, like university football and Greek life, which we also have in Canada, but we don't really care in the same way. The story line in that episode as well, where the characters criticize prom but also still would both like attend, it felt to me like a predictable Hollywood high school storyline but of course, there's no reason non-Americans might not have similar thoughts!! Anyways, I had written more thoughts about differences in US/UK/Canadian humour but it was kind of tangential anyway 😛

@pocketvenus I've totally had my posts get eaten before too! The whole prom thing is so weird to me... it was weird when they introduced it and it is weird seeing photos of my nieces and nephews getting dressed up for it in more recent years. Halloween has become a bigger thing these days too - whereas before it was mostly just another excuse for adults to wear costumes and go on a pub crawl... they never did anything in schools related to halloween when I was a child and I don't remember ever trick-or-treating although that started to become more of a thing when I was in my 20s and was too old. I guess American culture has become more influential? I have a daughter in school now and all of the many cultural differences are really quite surprising and confusing. [I'm British, my husband is American, and our daughter is Korean] 

@sockmagnetYour comments about prom reminded me, what didn't get exported to Canada was the practice of having a prom king and queen which to me is very weird! As for Halloween, it's gotten very profitable in Canada. I think a part of its success is the fact that it's become almost entirely detached from its cultural roots, possibly in part because Canada and the US are relatively young, settler-colonial nations that do not have the deep cultural roots of places like Europe. They lack that long history of tradition. So Halloween is like this interesting cultural shell you can fill up with whatever you like that's vaguely scary, sexy or fantastic. It makes it easier to commodify and export.

As for cultural difs, I hear you!! Especially being Canadian. It took me a long time to realize that a lot of what I thought was "Canadian" is actually very British. When I visited the UK for the first time I was surprized at how familiar it felt. Even when I visited the countryside as a city-dweller! That pastoral landscape felt like, oh yes, of course. It's hard to describe. I mean, it looks so different from Canada, but I'd grown up with all that pastoral stuff like R. Vaughan Williams, William Morris. It just felt like everything made sense. But my family's from HK so I got the British cultural influence in many ways ha ha. By contrast, I had a lot of difficulty adjusting to living in the Mid-West. I wasn't expecting much culture shock especially because Canadians have a lot of exposure to American culture. It's all about expectations I guess!

RE: Re: The What R U Watching Challenge ~ Post Your DVR or Streaming Queue!

My roomie and I tried it but we couldn’t get into it - Maybe we need a few more episodes

Re: RE: Re: The What R U Watching Challenge ~ Post Your DVR or Streaming Queue!

@Kim888, it gets pretty funny, in a British way 🙂

On the reg, I watch:

The Good Place

Brooklyn 99

Blackish

Modern Family

American Housewife

While those were on Hiatus over the holidays, I binge-watched some Netflix:

Travelers (highly recommend if you like sci-fi/time travel)

Ozark (Seriously, have some anxiety-cutting means at the ready. By the end of season 2 I was on the verge of having some sort of stress-related episode.)

Considering adding the new Roswell to my list, but I'm concerned it will a: not live up to the original, and I'll just end up resenting it and b: It will cloud my warm, fuzzy feeling about the first one. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?

Hi @MarciaBrady,

I love watching all of your regular shows that you watch! I just got caught up on The Good Place. The Janet episode was amazing! 

Also The American Housewife is seriously underrated. 

Have you watched Superstore? i think you would like it based on the shows that you watch. 

Best Wishes,

Janean

7 Replies
testing