Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Thankful, Grateful, and Gracious 2022

Starting 2022, I am hopeful others choose to be happy and positive just for the sake of it. Despite feelings like I’m surrounded by a ton of negativity (everyone has something to complain about), I’ve been able to keep a (generally) chipper mood, while (trying) to encourage those around me to continue seeing the bright side. Many people choose practicing gratitude or kind acts as part of a New Years Resolution, especially if they are taking a wellness approach to their resolutions or, frankly, just as overall self-improvement goals. So, as an easy place for additional support, personal accountability, and maybe just some uplifting stories, I had the idea to start this thread. If it takes off, great! If only a handful of people check in, well that’s still more people impacted than not starting the thread at all. If no one checks in and it gets buried, also fine! Because I know at least a few people will take a look and maybe it’ll plant a seed, be an inspiration, or provide some other unknown benefit. Maybe someone isn’t quite ready to take this sort of a journey right now, but perhaps this can help them get there. Baby steps! I’ve been on this journey for years, there have been setbacks, many in fact, and I’m still on it. But, this isn’t, all about me - it’s about YOU and what’s right for you’re personal journey right now. So, let’s grow through gratitude and grace together. 

Rules? Well, there aren’t really hard and fast rules, but I appreciate some who want to participate might like some guidance and structure. So, if you feel up to it, post something you’re thankful for, happy about, or an unexpected positive interaction with someone. There will be bad days! If you are willing to commit to this attitude change, try to find something you can remind yourself of. Something I’m thankful for *every day* regardless of how the rest of my life is going… I can always make myself a cup of coffee or a latte and drink it. And when I drink that coffee, the first sip brings a stillness nothing else can give me. In fact, it’s easiest to start with something small. Out of interest to not make this too wordy, I’ll post a range of to help start generating ideas to prompt this project, and if you choose to join, fantastic! If not, I hope you’ll still visit to see how others are doing. 

Re: Thankful, Grateful, and Gracious 2022

@Mellmars1185 I’m addicted to drinking vessels hahaha. Mugs, hot tumblers, cold tumblers, give me give me give me many things to hold my coffee, smoothies, and tea in. Ugh water bottles too though. I have water bottle of different sizes scattered about for different situations haha. I’m just literally always drinking something. 

I just moved to Florida in July! My brother lived down here and I went to visit last winter… and decided on one of the 75 degree days I needed to live here too haha. Harsh weather and dark winters bum me out so I bailed on the Pacific Northwest and brought the cats with me. They’re living their best life chasing lizards and basking in the sunshine. 

@alexasteph Good for you! Sometimes change can be scary but so worth it! I love new beginnings!  I am with you. I have lots of drinking vessles too! I rather walk around with a Yeti Mug that a disposable coffee mug anyday!

I am thankful for my meal planner book I bought. It has made my life a lot easier and is helping me save money!

@Mellmars1185 Things that help keep you on track are great! I like meal planners because they also get me excited about looking for new recipes and trying new things. Food is just so good haha. Food makes me happy always, and I’m thankful I’ve been able to craft a healthy relationship with food so I always fully enjoy it, and can actually appreciate it for how delicious it is. I do a lot of happy dances when I eat because it’s just such a fun part of my day haha. 

@alexasteph I love food too! I actually dont mind shopping for it (when I am organized) and cooking (when i plan ahead). The reason why i started doing this was to get inspired for new recipes, shop smart and not waste! 

I am with you on the happy dance!

But let me ask you this. Doesn't food taste better when someone else makes it for you?

@Mellmars1185 I love grocery shopping haha. It’s like a leisure activity for me and I take my time strolling each aisle and just sort of enjoying the focused solitude of it. 

Hm, that is a good question. I think there are a few restaurants that make certain dishes so delicious it could never be replicated by myself.  But other things, honestly I enjoy my homemade versions! Eating other people’s homemade food, it depends on the skill of that person haha. 

@alexasteph  Good points. I think sometimes I was feeling sick of my own cooking. But currently working a week ahead in my meal planner so givrs me time tobresearch new recipes!

@Mellmars1185 Oh yeah sometimes I get lazy and don’t feel like dealing with cooking haha. I always anticipate that and have very low effort meals to prepare, or a few restaurant stand by’s I can get when I’m really not feeling it haha. 

I'm thankful that I didn't make a faux pas at work today.  Someone was on speaker phone today and I didn't realize it.  Fortunately I didn't say anything bad - but it easily could have gone the other way.  Some days I'm just thankful for the things that *didn't* happen!  😛

@greeneyedgirl107   Here here!   Yes, so many times.  My timing is impeccable that I seem to only get mouthy when the huge sliding glass door in our house is open, and a neighbor or two is walking by... no more fresh air for us! 😂

@Ispend2much6 My husband actually closed the window once as soon as I got home, knowing that I'd say something bad about my neighbor who happened to be outside.  He was right to do it!

@greeneyedgirl107  Thanks for the laugh!  I'm sorry you have a difficult neighbor.  But, you have an excellent husband!

@Ispend2much6 Reminds me of this 80s music video by 'Til Tuesday:

f4c780e9-1ec2-4ed4-ba78-88ab0d7fe639_text.gif

@greeneyedgirl107  That is hysterical!  And I will keep that in mind forever. 🙂

@Ispend2much6 Glad you liked it so much!  I adore 80s music and music videos.  I was really trying to get my team at work to dress up like an 80s music video this Halloween.  Either our team leader as Robert Palmer and the rest of us as "Robert Palmer" girls:

palmergirls.jpg

Or Pat Benatar and crew versus the "man" from "Love is a Battlefield"

giphy.gif

...I was trying to get a gif of Pat throwing the drink in his face but couldn't find it!  Anyway, I didn't have any takers at work.  None of the older people wanted to do it, and none of the younger people knew what I was talking about.  I tried to make some "assigned watching" for the students, but they never followed through.

@greeneyedgirl107  I looked up the video; "the man" looked a little intimidated by PB.

Ah, the '80's hair and makeup. I remember spending soo much time on my hair; getting perms on my already wavy hair, teasing my hair, trying the time when girls took the time to style  to get highlights while sunbathing with lemon juice... and the heavy makeup.

It takes me more than three hours at times to get ready to go out, while doing a minimum to my hair.  I can't imagine doing all of that again.

@Ispend2much6 Yes - you're right about how long it would take to get ready!!!  I do miss big hair, though.  My hair's so thick I'd love to be able to rock a more natural 'do.  I just did the 10 minutes flat iron instead of the usual 45 minutes, and it's not the same.  I feel like I put in more effort to look "natural!"  

@greeneyedgirl107 🤣🙌

@greeneyedgirl107 I have had some close calls also! Glad it worked out for you! 📞

Another thing I am grateful for is that I live pretty close to work. My partners car needs repairs so he is able to use my car tomorrow, while I get the opportunity to walk to work and get some more exercise.

Driving home today in the sun, with a clear blue sky and winter wheat or alfalfa growing in the fields near our home, I was thankful to be living in a beautiful area with some fresh greenery to look at, in spite of the bare trees. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos13
  • tumblr_inline_p60dxlxGig1tg5wat_640.jpg
  • AstonishingTornCottonmouth-size_restricted
  • 20220110_071319.jpg
  • istockphoto-1212997630-612x612.jpeg
  • minis_600x600@2x
  • istockphoto-1205642396-612x612.jpeg
  • 200 (7).gif
  • f4c780e9-1ec2-4ed4-ba78-88ab0d7fe639_text.gif
  • 1611143533_41876.jpeg