Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

THE PARTY THREAD

A place to say thanks to helpful BTer's, share your new BT status or heart achievement... A place to joke around, share memes, riddles or anything else you want to. Let's bring back some life in this place!!!!

Where the unicorns play - Post your unicorn mail here:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Besides-Beauty/THE-UNICORN-MAIL-THREAD/m-p/3645731

29d1962a0afd13c82d50532134eb59e5.jpg 

OTHER FUN THREADS

Spoiler

congratulations @twilightnicky !!! 🙌🌹💥

congratulations @twilightnicky !!! 🙌🌹💥

Re: congratulations @twilightnicky !!! 🙌🌹💥

Thank you!

Re: THE PARTY THREAD

Yay! Congratulations @twilightnicky 

Thank you 🙂

Congratulations, @twilightnicky !  Go Getter 1 !!!

Image result for fireworks gifs

Thanks!!

Congratulations, @twilightnicky!

Thanks 😄

@twilightnicky CONGRATS on becoming a Go-Getter!!! YAY 

congrats.gif

Thank you! Love that show btw 😄

@twilightnicky Congratulations on being a Go Getter!!!

Thanks 🙂

Congrats @twilightnicky!

congrats1.gif

Thank you!

Yay @twilightnicky! Way to go!

Thanks!

Hello all!!! 💖This isn't much of a "party" post... but I thought it was important and I wasn't sure where to put it... so here goes...

--- FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm not a doctor and I have no medical training. I am solely speaking from personal experience and the desire to protect others from similar circumstances. 💖 ---

Over the past week and a half to two weeks (roughly... it is hard to recall and my memory is foggy) I experienced one of the most unsettling experiences of my life.

For those of you that have know me for a while, you are probably aware that I am a strong advocate for mental health. I have been personally diagnosed with a variety of mental illnesses throughout my life and continue to fight every day against the stigma. If nothing else, I strive to ensure that no individual has to suffer alone. Thus, I use my story and my experience to advocate for and offer help to other individuals with mental illnesses. 

Although I have come very far in my fight with mental illness, I am not perfect. There is no "cure" and I will never be completely rid of my internal struggles (nor will those with similar disabilities). 

That being said, for some background info, it is important to know that many medications utilized in the treatment of mental illnesses do not provide permanent aid. Patients with recurring disorders often build a tolerance to their medications over time, making treatment with specific medication(s) ineffective within a matter of years. Because of this, some patients are constantly searching for new medications and treatment plans that will help regulate their disorder(s).

I was recently placed on a new antidepressant, as my current medication is slowly becoming ineffective. My psychiatrist did not want me to experience a gap in treatment by weaning my body off of my current medication and then slowly introducing a new one. Therefore, he decided to introduce the new antidepressant to my system while continuing with my other medications as normal. In theory, once the levels of the new medication were stabilized in my body, I could THEN be weaned off of my old medication, which would eliminate a gap in treatment. However, things went really, really wrong...

On the second day of introducing the new medication, I contracted serotonin syndrome. This is caused by an overwhelming buildup of serotonin in the brain, to the point where the body cannot process it all at once. Symptoms include involuntary muscle shakes/jerks, extreme headaches, fever, chills, numbing of the limbs, confusion, altered state of consciousness, loss of consciousness, etc. If the medication is not stopped immediately, it will result in more serious symptoms such as seizures, coma, and even death. These more serious symptoms will take hold QUICKLY... as in 24-48 hours. Because serotonin syndrome is considered to be "rare", doctors almost never diagnose it correctly.

I can attest to the fact that I presented VERY clear symptoms and was told by 5+ doctors that "there is just no way I have it because it is so rare". It was not until several days in to my recovery that my reaction was properly evaluated. Luckily, I listened to my body and stopped taking the new medication immediately.

Normally, I would keep intense experiences such as this to myself. However, I am lucky to be alive and felt the need to warn others about the potential dangers of prescription drug interactions. 

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS...

- When a loved one introduces a new medication to their system, no matter how minor, keep a considerate watch on them for a few days... just to make sure they are okay (I have no clue how I would have made it out of this if I had been alone).

- Always keep a record of the medications you are currently taking, plan to begin taking, and/or plan to stop taking (at the discretion of a doctor, of course). Drug interactions can be the cause of a lot of negative symptoms, more than most realize.

- FINALLY, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!! I will be the first to say that a doctor's orders should be followed to the letter, as they usually know best. However, if you know something is really wrong, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. It could mean the difference between life and death. 

Please, please, please take care of yourselves everyone and stay safe out there!!! 💖As always, sending tons of love to all of you!!!

@SchylarR  Oh my goodness. I just saw this. Are you feeling better? I am so sorry you have had to go through this. I feel like there is a great deal of unawareness about serotonin syndrome (by society in general and physicians as well), particularly the interaction between both OTC and prescription meds. Thanks for this post.

@SchylarR  I just saw your post and I hope you are doing better!!! How scary it must have been and I have personally seen a family member go through the same syndrome. I am so glad you realized the problem and stopped the medication!! Some physicians have a hard time listening to their patients!!😕

I hope you're able to find the right medicine to help you!! Take care and know my thoughts and prayers are with you!!🥰

@SchylarR I have been trying to respond to your pm for a few days. The site keeps telling me I've reached the max number of messages I can send. Not sure what the glitch is but want you to know I appreciated it and will respond eventually.

No worries, thanks for letting me know!!! 😊Hopefully your account gets fixed soon!!! @sprocketta 

testing