Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Swapping on Make Up Alley with Beauty Talk Friends

A few of us were interested in a swap board on Beauty Talk. Since Sephora chose not to respond to this, we thought it would be agood idea for those people who were interested in swapping with each other to use MUA as a forum for this. If you have an MUA username and are interested in swapping with your trusted Beauty Talk friends, please list your Beauty talk username followed by your MUA user name like this!

1. mermadelove:mermadelove

2. katie1724:Katie75007

3. prettyinpa:prettyinpa

and so forth!

Please cut and paste the list in your post so that the most current list is always on the last page.

Thanks and Sparkle on!

*~*~~*

Re: Swapping on Make Up Alley with Beauty Talk Friends

@prettyinpa- Thanks for setting my mind at ease! I've just been overly paranoid from the get go with everyone's swaplifting stories. I think I am just going to message her back and tell her not to worry about it and try to finalize the swap!!

To add on to what Katie said, definitely follow your instincts if you're leery about a swap.  I ignored mine with the swap that I ended up getting swaplifted on.  Something just didn't feel right about it.  It wasn't anything I could "put my finger on" so after a couple of days I went ahead and sent my stuff out.  I actually delayed shipping for two days after I said I would, waiting for the gut feeling to pass or to figure out why I was so hesitant.  Eventually I figured since I had no tokens yet I reallly couldn't afford to get a neutral or negative right away, and maybe I was just paranoid because I was so new, or what if I was just being a jerk?  Lesson learned. 

Tags:

FYI: I have no way currantly to get pictures on the internet unless someone else emails, pputs them on facebook, or some other way puts them on for me.

@pestilence HAHA! I would do the same thing if I get swaplifted by someone who lives in my area! 

@kalex - I noticed you marked all your stolen items with "Swaplifted by Farashi" - hilarious!! Btw, I don't mind calling if that girl doesn't want to do it - just let me know what to say!

Fortunately all my three swaps are completed and have turned out completely awesome. I got rid of things I wasn't using in return for this new stash. I'm most happy about Bobbi Brown "Beach" which I debate getting every year. The benefits of swapping is great. It's too bad the losers out there have to ruin it for so many people!

IMG_3254.JPG

I'm about to attempt my very first swap! But the girl is asking me to ship first- and she will ship one or two days after I ship. Does that sound okay? Ah I'm so new at this!

It's normal for the other person to ask you to ship first if you are new to MUA.  Now that I have more tokens, my latest swaps have been we both ship at the same time (or I ship a day later since I don't get to the Post Office as often as I'd like).

I've always wanted to smell Bobbi Brown's "Beach"!  They don't carry Bobbi anywhere near me and I've never seen Bobbi offer perfume samples with online orders.  How would you describe it?

@kalex- BB Beach kinda smells like coconut-floral (jasmine). It is very light, and fun to wear.

Where can you purchase Bobbi Brown's "beach"?  Sounds yummy...

@anna - Sephora has it on-line but I don't know about in-store (mine doesn't).

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P270559&categoryId=B70

Does anyone know if MAC's Salsa Rose Blush comes in a pot form? If it was ever released in a collection or something?

Because the girl I'm swapping with said her Salsa Rose blush comes in a pot form "before it was discontinued or something. i got it at a sale". 

As far as I know, it's a pro item which means it comes in a pan form. I've also asked OfficeGal about this and she also couldn't find any information about Salsa Rose being in 'pot form'. 

The sad thing is, I've already shipped her stuff 😞

I have occasionally gotten MAC pro pans that someone glued into an empty pot on eBay. Maybe that's what she meant. Some people are so vague about their MUA listings that it's hard to understand what they're talking about.

My salsarose is actually in pot form from before it was discontinued I suppose. I got it from a sale.

So no worried of it being cracked

And she continued with saying that according to specktra the pot form was discontinued in 2009. I'm sorry if i'm being any trouble, I'm just super curious!  

I'm finding that a lot of the things I really really want are in Canada. I've never shipped to Canada before and was wondering how much it usually is to ship something there? Just like a general difference pricewise vs. US shipping. Also, are there any special things I need to know about shipping out of the country??

When I send small packages to friends in Canada, it seems to cost about 1/2 again as much as in the US. I'd give the Post Office a call before you do your swap so you know if there are any restrictions on what you can ship. From reading about the TSB, it seemed harder to get stuff shipped to the US from Canada than US to Canada. 

@officegal- Wow! You got some awesome stuff!! I know my first thing isn't going to come until tomorrow but I keep checking! I can't wait!

@reginaarg- Like prettyinpa said almost everyone expects you to ship first when starting out. I am in the middle of a swap with a very nice lady (I say that now, might change my mind if I don't get my stuff!!) who actually went ahead and shipped her end out the same day I did mine after I emailed her the tracking number, which I thought was nice.

@pestilence: That happened with the very first swap I did, too -- I didn't have any tokens, and she sent it out when I emailed her the tracking number, which I thought was really nice. Some people wait until they receive your end, though, even when you have a more respectable amount of tokens.

@regina: It is not recommended for people new to MUA to swap with anyone who has fewer than 60 tokens*** (I only have half that amount myself) -- the reason for this being that "reincarnated" swaplifters will build a few tokens (20 or so), then demand that the newbie sends first. If you only swap with someone with a higher amount of tokens, you reduce your chances of being swaplifted. Or, if someone has very few tokens, they'll say that you can ship at the same time since you're both newbies (but they don't). There are so many great people on MUA -- including tons of newbies like ourselves -- but to protect yourself, it's best to adhere to the rules for new swappers (you can find them in mspicky2's notepad). It also helps to be alert, too -- if you feel uneasy about someone or something, follow your instincts and don't swap.

***Note: I did not always follow this rule, and (luckily!) it was fine for me -- but nearly all the time in cases where someone HAS been swaplifted, the people tend to fit the same profile. Kalex's negative experience has made me more discerning about the tokens and feedback, etc., and I think I'll be more careful now.

: )

@officegal: I've always been curious about Beach! That Balm Shelter gloss looks really pretty, too -- what shade is it?

@mermadelove:  Thanks for putting me right on the list!  I didn't get up early today (drat that insomnia!!!), when I finally got here, nice surprise. I fingured to be on MUA as prettyinpa, saves me having to think up a new name. I have enough trouble with passwords for everything, I should just keep it simple.

Here's what's happened to me on the MUA swap boards:  So far, it has been working GREAT! I have a lot of MAC stuff that just isn't working for me now that when I go out, it is mostly for business and I can't be wearing screaming green shadow! I really didn't want to put much of it into the TSB, since that's for Sephora stuff. So trading on MUA is a good option. When I first signed up, I got a lot of ridiculous offers, like "How about trading that $36 MAC palette for drugstore stuff" or if I contacted a swapper and offered a fair trade, they wanted more.  But after I refused the initial ridiculous offers (thanks for the advice, Mermadelove!) I got 6 real trades and I have gotten a UD vegan palette, MAC fix+, a nice NARS blush, UD liners  & shadow (2), MAC mineralize shadow, a MUFE shadow, Too Faced highlighter and a bunch of great extras!

I know I'll be madder than a wet hornet when I get swaplifted, but I just have to figure that if it happens, I can deal with it.

@prettyinpa: lol @ "madder than a wet hornet" -- I will be, too! I was really concerned about one that I had going, but it turns out that this person was just (really) lax in communicating, so while it made me nervous, I got my item in the end.

That happened to me, too, with the ridiculous offers! I don't get any anymore, though -- I had a Chanel Rouge Allure Laque in Stunt up for swap (this was the backup I bought in a panic because Stunt was limited edition) and someone sent me a message saying that she had a mini Sephora eye shadow and an ELF mascara...I wanted to respond, "Are you serious...?" I mean, really...I know you're not supposed to discuss price, but Stunt was at least $35, whereas the value of her items, was, what -- no more than $5?

I also dislike the "Wanna swap?" or "Swap?" messages for some irrational reason...at least write a sentence! I wanted to say in my notepad that I am much more likely to respond if your message contains correct spelling, punctuation and proper grammar, but I thought that might sound a bit elitist and off-putting. : )

Overall, my swaps have gone really well! I send EVERYTHING with DC, so international swaps make me nervous, and I avoid those except for items I really want. I have acquired some discontinued NARS blushes I'd either lost or was dying to have, along with a Chanel JC blush, and a few limited edition MAC items (some of the ombre blushes from the 2010 Spring Colour Forecast Collection and some of the blushes from the Venomous Villains collection, which sold out at my local Nordstrom within a day, I think). 😄

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • IMG_3254.JPG
testing