Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Splurge or Save?

Is there no pleasure in the world so great as finding that inexpensive beauty product at a drugstore whose quality exceeds that of its luxury counterpart? Smiley Happy

Are there any types of beauty products you like to - or even prefer to - get from drugstore brands? What products do you insist on getting from higher end brands?

For me, I'm pickier with my skincare items -- I like to use Clinique and Ole Henriksen. The only exception is cleanser and toner -- if I go out of my way to buy these, I'll usually go to Ulta and buy whatever brand's on sale, lol. As far as makeup goes, I think my only must-always-be-a-splurge is foundation. It's for my entire face, I wear it the whole day, and almost every day, so I need to be absolutely sure it has good quality ingredients. Plus there's more variety in shades!

While I have high end brands for pretty much all types of products, almost all of them are from point perks, free deluxe samples, on sale, or from value/combination sets available where I get to try multiple items in one purchase. I have a TON of high end makeup that way, but apart from foundation I never really go out of my way to buy individual/single makeup items at regular price. That's when I turn to drugstores! I actually have quite a few eye makeup items (shadow, liner) and lipsticks from brands like Ulta, NYX (those eyeshadow pigments! so many pretty colors!), and Wet n Wild (they have surprisingly good lipstick!).

Ah, and fragrances. My perfumes are my babies. Smiley Happy I get everything from Jordan Sparks and Britney Spears to Gucci and Dior! If it smells good and comes in a nice bottle, I want it! Smiley Happy

Re: Splurge or Save?

I don't mind buying drugstore brand lipsticks and mascaras. But I've been burnt so many times on lipsticks that looked good in the package, but didn't wear well or wasn't a great shade after all.  That's what I like about Sephora!  I get to try it out and if I don't like it, I know I can return it.  However, I don't think I have returned anything in the last year!

I go inexpensive when it comes to shampoo and conditioner, and splurge on hair treatments, mask, and oils for my hair. My skincare is mainly all high end as well, with some drugstore makeup wipes and cleansers. 

When it comes to makeup I'm across the board! I use to really go crazy for EVERYTHING hahaha, so I have a good amount of blush, lipstick, eye shadow, etc and when I first started off I usually only bought from the drugstore. Now I'm hoarding high end makeup. The only makeup I tend to exclusively buy high end would be any foundation, tinted moisturizer, etc, I find that for some reason drug store just doesn't mix well with my face, it probably has to do more with the poor color selection than anything else. And lashes I go exclusively drug store!!

I shop both high end and drugstore.  However, with a college kid budget, I don't go super high end.  No Dior makeup for me until I walk across the stage with my degree lol.  

HAIR CARE: I splurge.  My curls are picky, and my products come from Ulta and Sally's Beauty Supply.  My curls are loving the Redken Curvacious shampoo and conditioner, and they also love the Tigi Catwalk Curlesque Mousse.  

DRUGSTORE: I love drugstore mascaras!  My lashes have natural length, so they seem to work well with most mascaras.  My current favorite is Maybelline The Falsies Big Eyes mascara.  The small brush for lower lashes is awesome!

Brands that I like: Avon, Maybelline, Revlon, and Neutrogena

HIGH END: Nothing compares to Urban Decay eyeshadows.  I am forever loyal to them! lol.  Almost all of my shadow singles and palettes are UD except for a Mark Girl pastel palette and Still Pressed Pigments.  I also love the other UD products I've tried.  I tried a sample of their Naked foundation, but it smelled like paint to me.  :/

Brands that I like: UD, Kat Von D, Benefit, and Tarte

FRAGRANCE: Pretty much whatever smells nice and doesn't have a bad reaction for me.  I remember trying one of the Addidas scents in middle school or high school, and it made me itchy!  I love items from Bath and Body Works, and their sprays in the "fancier" bottles last a good while on me compared to the original plastic ones.  I have about half a bottle of the Beyounce Pulse perfume left as well.

NAIL POLISH: I love a variety of brands from different places.  OPI, China Glaze, Zoya, Orly, Avon, Fingerpaints, Essie, Sinful Colors.  

I'll buy from the drugstore whenever I can, which hasn't been much at this point in my makeup journey, because I still really need help picking out shades.

My greatest hope is that someday I learn what colors look best on me and I buy a lot more from the drugstore, my makeup habit is wearing my wallet out.

Some things I get consistently from the drug store are hair care (I have a buzz cut so I am super unpicky about what I use, i just try to make sure it is cruelty free which is sadly getting harder and harder) and facial cleanser (I use purpose which was recommended by my dermatologist and works really well for me so why start splurging?) and sunscreen.  Sometimes I splurge on a face sunscreen (and use that on my tattoo as well) but generally I just buy whatever is cheap.

Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 27 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors