Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

*~Sephora Watercolors~*

Working day-in and day-out on the Sephora site and apps, I am often seeking additional ways to be creative, and have fun, with beauty products. 

I’ve started a series that I dub *~Sephora Watercolors~*, mixing pencil, watercolors, a variety of shiny gelly roll pens and deco markers, and, of course, a healthy assortment of Sephora-sourced lip glosses, sparkly nail polishes, glittery face pigments, and more.

In terms of inspo? It’s a mix of the charming illustrations of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and the (precious) watercolors of my grandmother, an artist in her own time, known for her Asian-inspired and tropical tableaus, mixing watercolor with fine pen marks. She also designed and merch’ed up the windows for the historic West Coast department store I. Magnin & Company in Los Angeles, which I think is pretty cool. 

So, without further delay, here is the series. I will post whenever I have a chance, hopefully bi-weekly. I’ll note out the date of creation, link to the products and list out the materials used in the work. 

Can’t wait to hear what you think! 🙂 ❤️💄

Note: Worked with product management @ / contracted for Sephora previously.

IMG-9271.jpg

Left: 

• Sephora product: CHANEL Chance Eau Tendre Eau de Parfum 
  • Date of creation: 4/19/23
  • Materials: Watercolors, pencil, pink gelly roll pen, gems, rapid tone repair dark spot corrector, Sephora Collection eyeliner, Dior lip gloss, Sephora Collection nail polish

Right: 

Re: *~Sephora Watercolors~*

Hi, Anchovy!  @Julessss14 - You should draw a little paw print in the corner since the focal point was created by Anchovy. 🤣

@Titian06 yes!

<3❤️

Slightly updated version here. In addition to two cat paw prints, added a few leopard spots for extra good measure. Since who doesn't need a purple #Urban Decay Moondust Liquid Glitter Eyeliner Studio leopard spot? And also added a little Trixie Cosmetics purple moment

I love it, @Julessss14 ! 😘  ...and purple leopard spots! 💜💜💜

@Julessss14 @Titian06 the paw print is so fitting 😻

@Titian06 @CynthieLu team work makes the dream work 💜:kisses:

collage chic <3collage chic ❤️

Continuing with the Linda-Fargo-inspired found object motif, my friend Ichigo gave me some very adorable cinnamoroll bedazzled hair clips from her recent trip to Tokyo. Of course, I love everything from the Sanrio Universe. The clips came with the following light blue faintly-rococo packaging so I thought it might be fun for a bit of a mixed-media-meets-mosaic-inspired background with a light triangle pattern. 💙

Very pretty, @Julessss14 !  I love how you added the packaging pieces without detracting from the Milk Makeup watercolor. 😍

@Titian06 💜💖🔷💖💜

dior backstage vibedior backstage vibe

More requests for BTS shots so here we go! It's giving backstage/behind the camera. My two friends run the fashion design company Andrew James and last year they gave me a set of gold Sailor Moon inspired pink brushes. One is featured here with some purple glitter. Honestly kind of the perfect gift? 💜

<3❤️

Happy (almost) Lunar New Year! Having lived in China at many times in my life, it is always a fun activity for me to participate as a guest in a culture that is not native to my background. Thankful for all my Chinese friends especially who have invited me into their homes or offices to celebrate the occasion. This year I am heading to my UX designer friend's house in Irvine CA for 火锅。Planning to gift here this Pat McGrath moment - hoping she loves it!

Artistically speaking, this one got a little chunkier than expected but I was trying to experiment with a balance of delicate linework and more bold, impasto-esque and heavily textured elements. Obviii had to go with a red-white-gold color story (with pops of pink)....

@Julessss14 - Absolutely gorgeous! 🥰  Thanks for another BTS pic too. 💖💖💖

@Titian06 yaszszszsz!!!

@Julessss14 @So gorgeous 😍

@SportyGirly125 gratzi! 😍❤️🍎❤️😍

BTS/it's giving dior backstageBTS/it's giving dior backstage

Highly requested BTS moment. In the corner you can peek the very cute Sephora laptop case I got from Sephoria. Honestly it was a really fun event looking back... Sometimes the best thing to do is escape to New York???

Close-up

layerz on layerzlayerz on layerz

I think I may have been inspired by seeing, on Instagram, Gwyneth Paltrow go to the Fondation Louis Vuitton in Paris and there was a picture of her looking at some Rothkos that stuck in my mind. Maybe trying to add some depth with that painterly quality here in terms of brushwork and blends?

cool colors - green, blue, purple themecool colors - green, blue, purple theme

@Julessss14 - This product in this particular flavor was meant for you to "watercolorize"! 💚💙💜

@Titian06 absolutely! Love a candy moment~~~ *inserts cotton candy emoji here* 

While chatting one day with my friend Lauren (who works in marketing), she let me know that dae founder Amber Fillerup Clark was painting with watercolors. Of course, I had to take a peek and it further cemented my adoration for the brand. Being a big fan of everything desert and palm springs and hair care (it's not easy for guys in their 30s with the looming receding hairline), I was very taken with the brand and the strong editorial POV. Personally, I really like the hibiscus spray since it smells amaymay. 

Looking on Instagram stories (maybe my favorite news source after page six), I saw this morning the new fairy duster set that is coming out soon. Since I am also a big fan of everything fairy magic (I went to a wedding in oregon in the middle of a forest last year that was very faery magic realness with strung lights illuminating a dark forest), I really was drawn to the concept. So here's a little sketch/creation from an Instagram story I peeked this morning. 

Since the linework is so delicate, I opted for a very light touch in terms of color and pigment, just adding a bit and leaving some beauty of negative space, sometimes called Ma in asian cultures.

<3❤️

@Julessss14, the tiny embellishments remind me of Lisa Frank...so cool!

329 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos209
  • IMG-9271.jpg
  • IMG-9273 (1).jpg
  • IMG-9275.jpg
  • IMG-9276.jpg
  • IMG-7488.jpg
  • IMG-8740.jpg
  • IMG-9407.jpg
  • IMG-7490.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG-8146.jpeg