Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Running on Empty: What Do You Do?

So what do you do when you're faced with impossibly long days?  Something about this week has me hitting walls.  Because of an issue at work, I'm pulling 18 hour days and, basically, going home to shower, sleep for a few hours, get up, shower and come back to the office.  Can't live on coffee and breath mints, and I just feel ... ugh.

What do you do to keep yourself (reasonably) sane, focused and awake during ridiculously long/demanding work or school days?!

Re: Running on Empty: What Do You Do?

Morning Q. Smiley Happy I myself turn to Bach flower remedies to keep me sane or just a little pick me up during the day. It's all natural and work's for some but might not work for other's. Hope this help's Smiley Happy

Can you take a break to walk outside for 5 minutes? Or at the very least get some fresh air for a minute outside. Call a friend, sibling, or parent who can usually cheer you up. Even if the call is only for a minute sometimes it's good to hear a loving voice. Eat healthy foods/ snacks to keep your body going through the long days. And remind yourself it's only temporary (hopefully!). Depending what area of work, listen to music! Even if it's only on a break, put on your favorite song and get lost in it if only for a minute Smiley Happy

Showers always relax/wake me up but those you can't do until you're back home obviously. If you haven't checked out the Stress Relief line at bath and body works I'd really recommend it. The shower scrub is my savior on long days. The line smells like spearmint and eucalyptus which is amazing. It wakes you up and calms you down at the same time.

Good luck, I'm sending happy (and energizing!) thoughts your way!!

I second anything eucalyptus! It's one of my favorite scents!

Scent is another useful tool.  I keep fragrance samplers in my drawer at work.  Sometimes a whiff of a good perfume helps to unscramble the brain. When you get coffee or tea (hopefully not swill), spend a few seconds breathing in the steam and the scent.

Stay hydrated!  Sneak in some water between the coffee rounds.

I put on the big headphones and play something that can help me focus; music if I'm writing and audio books if I am crunching numbers.

A lot of short breaks where I physically remove myself from the situation/task at hand.  Just walking outside (or inside) for a few minutes is very recharging and refreshing for me.  Sending you positive thoughts! Smiley Happy

I feel you quotidianus! My job occasionally has those types of periods! When I'm in those situations, I use 5 hour energy shots! Sometimes I get like 4 hours of sleep a night, and those usually give me a pick me  up. Plus, since I only use them sparingly, I feel they work extra well in comparison to coffee and energy drinks which are a daily staple 

Staying well hydrated is very important.  Remember that coffee doesn't count because it actually causes some dehydration.  You also have to remember that too much caffeine will cause fatigue and jitters so pace your intake.  I know that you are pressed for time but make sure you have something to eat during the day that isn't junk.  Protein keeps the brain focused and complex carbs keep us fueled so find some nutritious things to eat that are easy to deal with.  Getting away from your desk and taking a fresh air beak is a great idea but do whatever you can to clear your mind and move around a bit.  I find music really helps me when I am doing long busy hours. Little comforts like applying some fragrance (rollerballs are great for this) or hand cream just make me feel refreshed.  Smiley Happy

Take a few minutes and relax, possibly with your next coffee. Just sit there and enjoy it and don't think of work. Think of something fun, like eye shadow! Smiley Happy If you can find an outside view that's even better, but the main thing is just to give your mind a break. 

And if you can get a 15-20 minute break later today, have a nice relaxing bath with music and wine. 

Take a break every hour and a half or so for a few minutes. Get out of your office, or shut the door and do a few reps of an exercise to help perk you back up. make it a mental break too.  Don't dwell on work in the five or so minute break you take. 

Stay hydrated, but keep in mind a recent study I just saw in @jama news that contrary to popular belief, hydration levels aren't affected by coffee. So if coffee is your preferred beverage, especially when you start to slump, it isn't going to negatively affect you.  Peppermint tea is good, mainly because the scent helps perk me up. 

I have a very "thinky" job that requires a lot of brain power, especially right now, where I'm getting into a completely new to me area (iron overload, cancer, and chelation, from basic science to clinical outcomes). It is mentally exhausting, and would be even worse if I didn't give myself mental breaks. 

Surf a website that makes you laugh, like the CHIVE (for me anyway).  A good laugh always helps.

That is my husbands favorite site! The Chive. He even has some tshirts advertising the Chive. lol Smiley Very Happy

I blame it on working with mostly men. Smiley Tongue  They would kill or at least let themselves be filmed doing something stupid to get one of those shirts.

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes I feel like I'm in a never ending cycle of work and sleep, with no free time and no time to relax. Things that help me are classical music, candles, and a nice hot bath, along with all the suggestions already listed

Prank a co-worker

upload_1543199444976356890.jpg

Heh. Hehehehehehe (I've been told at times that I'm secretly a twelve-year-old boy)

You, too?  Eesh, I hear that waaaay to often at work.

They only say that when they didn't think of the joke/prank first. Smiley Very Happy

Agreed. Smiley Happy

Lately, I've been on a run of weirdly passively passive, mildly annoying pranks.  Like I bought two-dozen donuts, put them on a grumpy co-workers desk and sent out an email telling people donuts were available and thanking my coworker for his kind gesture.  Everyone who got a donut not only thanked him, but wanted to chit-chat.  He was incredibly annoyed ... also because he felt he either had to lie and get the thanks he didn't deserve, or say he didn't do it and feel like a jerk.

Stupid, I realize, but it made me smile all day.

41 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • upload_1543199444976356890.jpg
  • 1.gif
  • 3.gif
  • 2.gif
  • 4.gif