Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Rant: Reviews

Sorry, I had to get this out...

But it bothers me when people write reviews for products based on what they thought or believed the product would do, not necassarily based on what the product actually does. For example when people write about a foundation, BB cream etc, with very little coverage and give it a bad rating although the company claims it is lightweight and sheer. Or on the other hand complaining about the heaviness or such of a full coverage foundation.

Or when people have unrealisitic expectations for a product. For example the tradeoff between between non-sticky or long-lasting lip gloss. Generally a longer lasting gloss will be a little thicker for the shine to last longer.

Or people who give a bad review for something just because the shade doesn't look as great on them. Just because the color isn't flattering doesn't necessarily mean the product itself is bad and deserves a very low rating.

I always take reviews and such with a grain of salt, since how a product works can depend on skin type, application, etc, and place more value on reviews that give an explanation for their review. But it still drives me a teeny bit bonkers when people do that.

Sorry for my little rant. Anyone else agree? Or not?

Re: Rant: Reviews

That's a good point on the "OMG!/GRRRR!" reviews, those are more "comments" than reviews and serve no use for any star ranking/rating system.

It's one thing to see a kit with an item you already use and it's for a great price/steal so you make a review giving info on the item included with the rest and then adding a "I've only ever used so-and-so, but for this price, you can't beat it, can't wait to try out the other items!" But it's another thing to judge or review a kit that there's no experience with.

As for skin care, I think most people just need to wrap their heads around the fact of time frames in which products work. I mean they didn't go from age 20 to 55 in a blink of an eye to suddenly wake up and deal with wrinkles, so why believe using a cream or serum for a few days will give you the results you want?

Yes! Exactly Smiley Happy (re: all of the above)

I forgot to mention, too, that I love when someone complains that an eye cream failed because it didn't erase wrinkles...then the reviewer's age is like 13-18(!).  I think s/he must assume that the natural folds in the skin around the eye area (which even babies have) are "wrinkles." Smiley Tongue

Hahaha!

Haha yes!

AMEN!  That particular criticism by that demographic group really sets my teeth on edge!  I simply can't stand it when people who are certain ages are reviewing products that weren't intended for them in the first place.

Highlighted

so true !!!!!

Agreed!

I know it annoys me to see ratings and reviews for a product somebody used for a couple days. I also feel like "Really?"

I definitely agree with everything!

I know I hate when people dock stars for price... If something always gets 5 stars or high ratings elsewhere I think I might be willing to pay. The ratings really should be purely about how well the product actually performs (and packaging can be important) Also some people fail to take into account the actual SIZE of the product. Yes a product costs a lot, but it will last you a very long time.

Skincare products definitely are misleading in their advertising much of the time. But I think many people need to learn to think  critically about what the companies are claiming. Like "will improve the appearance of wrinkles". First it reduces the APPEARANCE not the actual problem, Second, by how much is the appearance improved?

I agree, I find it very annoying when people give a rating or such, for something they haven't actually tried.

OMG -- speaking of reviews...this is unrelated but I have to share. I just came across a review for a basic Longchamp bag. The person complained that she didn't check the measurements beforehand and it was smaller than she expected (...), that there were no inner compartments (...? this is in the description) and that she left her receipt in the store bag before throwing it away, and paid cash, so now she can't return it (!). Seriously...what is wrong with people?

Wow......some people.... tsk tsk!

Conversation Stats