Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Racism in Fashion?

Ok, this doesn't apply to Sephora because they do a good job of showcasing beauty of different races and ethnicities, but my beef lies with the fashion designers, in particular: Dolce and Gabanna, Prada, Dior, etc. It angers me that since they are popular high-end designers, people still support them....ok now I'm starting to babble, I'll get to the point...

My point is that they see white people as high end, elite, and everyone wants to look like them. I have never seen Prada use a black model ever. 

Now there's another question: what about Asian, Hispanic, Indian...?

Yes, they are the minority, however, they get better job openings because of their skin color, which is sad. In 2013, you'd think that there's change, but there's non, nada. Yes, blacks (dark-skinned people) can get sucessful, but that's about it. 

Why post this on Sephora? 

Sephora does a fantastic job of seeing people as beautiful, everybody is beautiful in their own way. Several companies Sephora carries such as Bobbi Brown, Nars, Lancome, etc, they do a wonderful job and they're sucessful. 

I think the biggest problem is that since Dior Prada Coco Chanel, etc are popular brands at the moment, they have extrodinary influence on the way people outlook beauty and since 93 percent of the models they used are white, it's enough to assume that they think whites are super while there are other diversities.

--------------

What is your opinion on Racism in fashion? 

swfupload_5172642800730292405.jpg

Re: Racism in Fashion?

I didn't say that there weren't groups or lobbyists and by all means, it's commendable what they're doing. I was merely responding to your take as you stated questions in the form of "Why should I?" rather than "Why should people?"

As you state being active in lobbying and campaigning, then I know you are one who can genuinely appreciate progress, even on the back pages of this thread when it was just Naomi and Tyra being mentioned, I included a further list of African American models:

Iman, Oluchi Onweagba, Grace Jones, Kimora Lee, Alek Wek, Beverly Johnson, Chanel Iman, Selita Ebanks, and Toccara Jones are all top named African America models aside from Naomi and Tyra.

To be honest, it's really about how involved you want to get in terms of knowing names and putting them to faces for calling out models and familiarizing yourself in the scene. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but also self-educating does a long way in terms of at least expanding one's own horizons in learning there's more than just Tyra and Naomi in the modeling world.

You don't have to stress how equality isn't appeasement, just as I like equality isn't just tolerance.

Sorry to threadjack w/ a lighter note, but I just wanted to say that Alek Wek is soooo amazingly beautiful! Her skin and features are breathtaking. I got to see both Naomi and Alek walk when Sephora hosted a Mercedes-Benz fashion week in SF years ago, and they were the highlight of the show (along w/ Tyson Beckford...you should have seen all of the ladies swoon every time he came by).

And especially Naomi, you don't want to be the model walking after her...people can say whatever about her attitude/ personality but no one walks better than she does!

swfupload_763687715583716546.jpg

Man candy for ya! Smiley Wink

Gotta love a great smile!

Haha you should have seen one of our employees (who got a front row seat) almost faint every time he came by.

Sorry folks, end threadjack!

Thanks for defeating the purpose of this discussion. I can feel like a fool even more. -_- 

The question was "why shouldN'T I?" 

Yes, self educating does go a long way.

No matter how far into the scene you get and count heads, the statistics prove that reality is not so subjective that anyone can build whatever argument. You will very quickly run out of the handful of POC models. 

Look, Im getting the sense that you think I'm underestimating the prescence  of POC in mainstream media. I'm not. I'm saying its not at all enough. 

I'm open to continuing through PM only if you are open to understanding how you were patronizing in this discussion.

My mistake, I misread your post.

I won't even go back and alter my response, because I want it to be seen and made aware in a public matter that I made a mistake.

I'm not arguing that racism doesn't exist, I hope you can see that.

i think the bigger picture we should be thinking about is racism as it exists in the world in general. fashion is just a small arena where racism plays out, but what concerns me more is racism in the everyday. Ya models are beautiful to look at, but what would really inspire me are minority women excelling in the world force. 

I honestly think this is a topic much more suited for another type of forum, as Beauty Talk is usually a much more light-hearted place to discuss topics in beauty that aren't so controversial.  When opinions range so greatly on a topic such as this, it is easy for emotions and such to take over.  I'm not saying this isn't an important issue, just that we're all supposed to be supporting one another and this just lends itself to controversy with every one of us having a difference in opinion.  

It is also very easy to misconstrue what someone is trying to say when it comes to typing.  It is difficult to get your point across efficiently without being extremely wordy and there is just no way to accurately reflect the meaning and tone that was intended.  

Hopefully we can all get back to a happy place.

Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • swfupload_5172642800730292405.jpg
  • swfupload_181833828894903318.jpg
  • swfupload_7334937151548957558.jpg
  • becca.jpg
  • swfupload_4433348771250008994.jpg
  • swfupload_763687715583716546.jpg