Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

RIP Kate Spade

Kate Spade's family will be in my thoughts and prayers. From someone who has depression, please everyone contact the National Suicide Prevention Hotline if you need help. There are people who care and people in your life who love you. It would be great if we could share any Kate Spade product stories like Chelsea Clinton did in her Tweet.

Re: RIP Kate Spade

I have just a little Kate Spade story.  I found a beautiful black wool coat at TJ Maxx and saw it was kate spade and on clearance for $15.  I had a mini freak out when I realized it was also my size and had no flaws at all.  It made my day, down from $900 to $15!  Thanks TJ Maxx and Kate Spade.  Love all her cute designs, the jacket has a fat bow on the back too :).

Awe @sabrinas you totally scored!!! and now you’ll treasure that jacket more then ever ❤️

I don't have a Kate Spade story, but I still feel affected by her loss.  I'm glad to see this Thread was started and to read these posts. 

large

food-quote-anthony-bourdain

Do something nice for yourself today... be kind ❤️

@pocketvenus AMEN!!💓💓💓💖

I just loved Kate Spade ❤️ she’ll be missed 😞 RIPCEAE234D-1481-47A7-AC09-8F6BC26AE12C.jpeg

More of her Quotes ❤️CCF45B4F-186B-43A3-AD88-4D2810D514F3.jpeg

DD6B0260-3D13-42A9-8233-A3457B5A1100.jpeg

2C4C23EB-7EAB-40F8-ADD8-19CC63F798DA.jpeg

1666F852-89D9-4E04-B3F3-D238BD0D4AD9.jpeg

I bought my Kate Spade purse in the nineties and wore it til it fell apart. A simple material bag, it was my signature 

Anthony Bourdain’s death this morning is too much for me to process right now. How could two luminaries in the world of creativity leave this world in such lonely and tragic ways? This is cheesy, I know, but I hope all who come here to BIC to share their stories and love of beauty feel like this is a safe space to talk about anything, it doesn’y always have to be happy and sunny, we’ll listen to the sad stuff too. 

@LCResz Right there with you. Like many other people my life has been a complicated one, and deeply affected by this culture's beliefs about mental health and the US approach to "supporting" it. I can only hope that tragedies like these in the public eye (both of which have touched me deeply, I was a chef for many years as well as a Kate collector) create space for more people to discuss these matters openly. 🕯

This story has been so upsetting. I absolutely love the Kate Spade brand. Anything dainty and with bows on it and you can just have my money. I wear her confetti studs every day alternating colours, I have her pink wristlet with a golden bow on it and I carry it in my pink crossbody (also pink and with a bow on it). I have her belts, iphone case, stationary, etc.

When I got my first adult job out of business school, it was the brand/style that most appealed to me - "grown prep/girly" and I could afford it now so it felt so special. I was the first of my friends to start wearing her stuff and that felt special too.

As someone that has struggled with my own darkness I can understand how overwhelming depression can be. That being said, I hope she knew/knows how much her artistic vision meant to so many girls/women. 

I'm tearing up just writing this.

I know she had left the brand awhile ago but her legacy will live on in those of us who are fans.

If you are reading this and struggling - PLEASE - seek help. There may be a darkness in your mind that makes you feel like you have nothing but I promise there are so many people that love and care for you 🙂 

@Crazy4Sephora1 My favourite Kate Spade story has to be about my wedding shoes. They were a patent leather pump in a soft pink colour with a gold bow on the toes. It was love at first sight. We were having trouble finding them locally so my husband sweetly brought them home for me while on a trip. I wore them the whole day and they were the perfect little pop of colour under my dress. As a little girl I remembering pulling my cousins wedding dress up to get a peek at her shoes so I knew I needed something special for when my special day came. I still have them and pull them out once in awhile to wear. 

@Crazy4Sephora1 I always saw Kate Spade, through her lovely products and sweet demeanor at events, as someone who wanted to bring color and fun into others’ lives. It is so easy to miss the signs of depression because a) we want to believe the image people present to us and b) people with depression are really good at sublimating their pain so as to not be burdens on others.

I have family members who live with their mental conditions and people are always shocked when they find out the whole story, but I guess that’s the point, we’re all happy to accept surface stories because going deeper can be scary. But if we’ve learned anything from the suicides of so many people who seemingly had it all is that ANYBODY can be ill, and if you care about someone don’t be afraid to know the whole person and be willing to help shoulder some of the pain until the other can get help. 

Now my Kate Spade story: I have never been a purse fan, in fact I was usually gifted purses by my mom or sis because they would be horrified with the fact that I’d use the same ratty old thing until it was in tatters. However, one day while at my local outlet mall a gorgeous purse caught my eye, and that never happened. But this purse just stood out so much that I went into the store without even looking as to what brand it was. When I realized it was the Kate Spade store I almost walked back or thinking u would never be able to buy such a luxe brand, but a lovely sales associate saw me grimacing at the price I guess and told me that there was a great sale going on. That’s when I found out my dream purse was under $100 that day and I couldn’t say no to that. It quickly became the talk of my coworkers and family, and I can still remember the smile my mom gave me when she saw I’d finally given fashion accessories a chance 😆 That purse lasted me a while, and even wore my beloved Sephora pins with pride, but it was ruined in an accident so I had to bid it adieu 😢 still, for as long as I had it, it made me happy. I hope Kate Spade is remembered with that kind of happiness once the shock fades. She made the world prettier for a lot of people, and I’ll always smile when I think of how she brightened up my world with her beautiful creation. Rocking my HOF pins on my Kate Spade fancy pants purseRocking my HOF pins on my Kate Spade fancy pants purse

It's not that easy, @Crazy4Sephora1.  I've attempted suicide twice, when I was 10 and in my late 20s, and I still occasionally think about it.  When you're that depressed, you see no other way out.  Believe it or not, some of us don't have people who care for us or love us.  We live life completely, totally alone.  I never thought I'd make it to 50...I'm now 53.  I have no idea how that happened, but here I am.

I always feel dreadful when other people commit suicide.  They had so much to live for.  Kate had a 13-year-old daughter.  But it doesn't matter because you become blind to everything around you.  All you can see is how miserable you feel and how much of a burden you are to others. You just want the pain and misery to go away.  It's all you can see and all you can feel, night and day.  If you've never been depressed before, you have no idea how hard it is!

I have severe depression and anxiety with a suicide attempt so yes I do know it is hard. I am sorry for your pain. I was just trying to give hope to others.

I was so sad to hear about this as well - she was a true icon. 

It wasn't my first Kate Spade but I have this dress from Kate Spade. It saw me through so many weddings and formal events at a time when I wasn't really feeling great about my weight. It was a big purchase for me at the time but I just remember how good I felt when I put it on - it was so flattering and fun with the big bow in back. All of her stuff just has a way of making you feel so special when you use it. 

Hi @Crazy4Sephora1,

My thoughts have been with Kate and her family. This brand will forever hold a special place in my heart and I was lucky to be with the company for a few years. 

I love all the novelty items that the brand has! A little secret: novelty items are released once a month and once a novelty item sells out, it will never come back. Novelty items are so much fun and bring so much joy to my life. I used to purchase at least one novelty item from the collection a month. A few of my favorite novelty items: my jeweled pig necklace, turtle ring, ice cream truck crossbody (I even got the taco truck one), heart coin holder, and the list goes on.. I feel so lucky to share the same Alma Mater with Kate (ASU) and I will always admire her. 🙂

Best Regards,

❤️ Raquel 

17 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 230 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos8
  • Rocking my HOF pins on my Kate Spade fancy pants purse
  • CEAE234D-1481-47A7-AC09-8F6BC26AE12C.jpeg
  • CCF45B4F-186B-43A3-AD88-4D2810D514F3.jpeg
  • 1666F852-89D9-4E04-B3F3-D238BD0D4AD9.jpeg