Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Quitting smoking update

Hello fabulously supportive BTers,

It's been a week since I started the quitting process.  I decided to greatly accelerate my taper so that I would start grad school as a non-smoker (that way I don't develop any smoking routines or make smoking friends).  As a result I have gone from a pack a day (20 cigarettes) down to 7 a day.  And then I'm spending two days on each number of cigarettes on down to zero.

So far I have saved $30.50 and so $15.25 goes into the beauty bank.

It's been really really hard.  I'm on vacation in Chicago right now with a bunch of non-smoker friends and it's a little easier because I don't have any smoking routines here, but today has been really bad.

I could use some inspiration for things to spend my beauty bank money on.  I'm particularly interested in lip stuff and skin care.  My skin care routine needs a re-vamp and I'd love to hear what you do.  I need inspiration to keep up with the non-smoking, beauty-money saving.

Re: Quitting smoking update

I've never tried the amore pacific.  maybe when i run out of fresh's advanced therapy I will look into switching.

Congratulations for trying to quit smoking.  It's been wicked hard but i think it is ultimately worth it.

several friends have been using e-cigs for more healthy way to cut down...several advantages to it. check it out...

e-cigs are my backup plan if this quitting this way doesn't work.  i'd rather not have a nicotine replacement because often you just ended up addicted to whatever replacement you are using.  but if this doesn't work that's where I'm headed.

Congrats! To celebrate your health getting better day by day with the changes you are making, a mask like this would be a fun treatment (would also help to hydrate and revitalize your skin to give you that glow you are going for):

http://www.sephora.com/essence-mask-travelmate-P377050?skuId=1483072

mmmmm masks.  I haven't even thought about masks.  definitely something to think about.

I quit 9 years ago.  If you can tough it out for the first few months, you'll be golden.  I don't miss it, nor do I mind being around smokers now.  Get your teeth cleaned as soon as you get down to zero cigarettes, you'll see a difference.   I did recently purchase the Give Me Some Lip set and it's awesome.  Good luck!!

Okay.  First few months.  Doable.  Hopefully.  

I'm actually having a cleaning a few days after I'm scheduled to be down to zero so thats good timing.

I'm glad you like the set, I'm 90% sure I'm getting it at the end of the week.

Thank you!

Highlighted

You're already a week down! You can do it Smiley Happy

It's good that you're around non-smokers though, less temptation! Think about how much you can buy with just $15 - sample kits, drugstore makeup, all the stuff you could be getting!

I'm so focused on what potential things I could buy, it's ridiculous.

Thank you so much for your support.

you can do it!!

Thank you!

If all else fails, try the nicotine patch.  I highly recommend it.  The trick is to use all the different patches.  By the time you get to the last one there is so little nicotine in it that it's really easy to wean off of it.  Again, good luck, you'll be successful!

I think for me the addiction is much more mental than physical.  The patch would take care of the physical stuff but not all my emotional attachments to cigarettes so I've been hesitant to use it.

Thank you for the support!

That's good!!! I hope you keep at it. Smiley Happy Do it for your beauty!! Smiley Happy

Thank you for your support.  I'm doing my best to keep at it. Smiley Happy

My nephew quit smoking (cold turkey) about a month ago.  He said within 2 days he could tell how much easier it is to breathe.  He's got the lung capacity to do more exercise type activities that he wanted to do.  Food tastes better.

Yes some days are really tough, but try to remember the things that feel better and tough it out.

And I suggest that you wash all of your clothes and get coats cleaned, etc, once you stop.  You'll probably start to notice it yourself, but you have no idea how much the smell of smoke clings to clothing. 

And when your sense of smell improves, maybe you want to check out perfumes.  You might find that you want to replace the smell of smoke with something else.

Hang in there and good luck -- it's the absolutely best thing you can do for your body and your beauty.

I can already feel some breathing effects from having cut down so much.  It's definitely easier.

Yeah I plan to do a laundry/dry cleaning binge when I finish, and also febreze the cra p out of my car just so there are no more tempting/repulsive to others scents in my life.

'i'm probably going to stay away from perfumes bc so many of the jobs i've had have either forbidden or discouraged fragrances bc of allergies.  I don't want to fall in love with a scent and then be told i can't wear it.

Thank you for the support, I really really appreciate it.

Good thinking. I just found my dream car used with low miles and I couldn't wait to take it for a test drive. I sat in it and within about 30 seconds I stepped out and said no thanks not interested. The car belonged to a smoker and it was clear that they didn't think to try to get the smell out of their car before selling it. But good for me, because for some reason the cigarette smoke affects me big time even if it is a lingering sense of it that I can't even smell. I always end up losing my voice and sick. 

I'm glad you figured out it was owned by a smoker before you'd had it long enough to have negative effects!

You go girl!  I quit smoking recently - though it was as a side effect of new medicine I am on.  That's one side effect I don't mind.  Perfumes smell better (now that I am not masking cigarette smoke) and I feel like my skin is starting to recover.  I got my car detailed in and out - nice to be in it without all the ashes and the smell.

Keep it up!

I was on a med that helped me quit almost immediately about four years ago.  But then a year or so ago I turned 30 and threw an enormous temper tantrum that included starting to smoke again.   And since then it's been a festival of cigarettes.  So I'm trying to stop again, here's hoping I'm successful.

Thank you for the support.

You're well on your way, and doing a great job already! I can't wait to hear when you get your first reward! 

Thank you!  I really appreciate your support!

Kudos to you for making such an important health decision AND for going to grad school. I LOVE the idea of spending your money on makeup instead of cigarettes! That's great incentive. I look forward to hearing an update on how your doing!

Oh and the list of amazing products to purchase is endless. I'm loving YSL lip stains and MUFE HD concealer right now Smiley Happy It's good stuff!!

Oh and have you considered using the electronic cigarettes? I know it would cut into your makeup budget but I've heard they work pretty well.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos13
  • tumblr_mnxmxcH9PU1rjliqwo1_500.jpg
  • thCAYG2LT5.jpg
  • s1120336-main-hero[1].jpg
  • s1229533-main-hero[1].jpg
  • s1484864-main-hero[1].jpg
  • smoking-effects-pictures-s6[1].jpg
  • cows.jpg
  • swfupload_4995383182661094686.jpg
  • swfupload_8378683616768607609.jpg