Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Pet Paradise

Show off pics of your pets, tell stories, anything you want to share about those special animals in your life 🙂 Post as much and as often as you want!

Here are are my fluff babies DJ and Gunner (also called Lulu or Lou). They are mother and daughter. DJ is my baby and Gunner is a daddy's girl. They are approximately 9 years old and very spoiled!

This is DJ. She loves to be near me.
image.jpeg

Miss Gunner Lou loves her catnip carrot
image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Re: Pet Paradise

Oh my goodness!!  This is so awesome...this fella  totally trusts his human - that is fantastic!!  Thanks for the funsies - I can't stop watching it!  

000.JPG

@ZombieMetroAnt You're welcome! I sent the video to my bro-in-law and said that he should do that for his cat since he has a roomba. He responded that Candy was afraid of the thing. I then told him that he should get her high on catnip and then she'll be relaxed in the box/container! 😄 😄 😄

Warning: long kitty post ahead asking advice on adopting a third.

Welp, I'm currently talking to my man about adopting a third cat with me - a young, male shelter cat who is listed as being playful and great with other cats, and who will hopefully be a playmate for our other young male, Vlad (and to of course be a loved addition to our family).

Unfortunately, my partner is hesitant to add any additional pets to the mix. This summer, we adopted his daughter's eight-year-old female, Shadow. She is currently separated from Vlad as she's adjusting to his forward, playful personality and I worry that she will ultimately simply tolerate him at best.

Although I want to adopt another to be companion for myself, I also want to find a playmate for my Vlad, who very much loves other cats.  

We have the room for another. Plus, our two kitties are rarely alone and are both greatly loved as both my partner and I plenty of our time at home.

So I'm asking you all (whose opinions I value) what you would do in my situation and for any additional imput (ie. Does the dynamic change with three cats? Is there anything I should know before adopting from a shelter? etc.). 

Spoiling a picture of the little guy who I have my eye on for cuteness' sake:

Spoiler
download.jpg

@AllysonJo

Okay, Cutest Cat Ever!  🙂 I see the attraction!

Every situation is different,  every cat has a different personality , and every combo of cats interacts differently.  Sometimes I think all cats would be happier if they were "only cats," but then, some are definitely happy with a friend!  If your two cats don't get along together yet, you may be jumping the gun here. 

If chronic health problems come up, multiple cat families can be expensive.  

I would not take my healthy cat to a shelter for a visit,  even if immunized, even if that were allowed!  

If you can't keep him, find him a good forever home- He's adorable!

I hope that this works out for you- and for Vlad!    Good luck!  🙂

We started with two cats and added a third when the others were 2 years old. My partner thought it would be a good idea to add a third because our male cat was high energy/loved to play whereas our female was fat and lazy. The goal was to provide a playmate for the male and get the female some exercise. I was hesitant but he convinced me to go along with getting a kitten from the shelter. We picked out a high energy female kitten. It totally changed the dynamics in our home but not for the better. The new kitten ended up being very unhappy in our home- hid all the time and ran away if you entered the room, picked fights with the other cats, hissed/scratched, etc. Our female ignored it but our male  ended up having behavior issues from the stress of the new kitten's demeanor and ended up urinating everywhere nonstop. After 2 years of this we ended up giving the new female to a friend and things changed. I think the female cat needed to be a solo pet in a home. 

So, my suggestion is to see if there is an opportunity for your cats to meet the new one prior to adoption. I think our circumstance was somewhat unique but this cat was also listed by the shelter as playful and loves other cats. Maybe this cat just hated ours lol. Also take a good look at their health prior to adoption because all of our cats were shelter cats and 2 had/have health issues that were not disclosed prior to adoption (1 died within 2 months of adoption and the other has chronic respiratory issues). If possible, ask about the story of how the cat came to the shelter in case there is something you should be aware of (I.e. abuse) as it could help with the transition home. 

Thank you so much for sharing @Elles117. Our situations sound very similar. I sent a few questions over to the shelter about the kitty's history, and plan to visit him myself first. Great idea about potentially taking Vlad to meet him first!

Just one question though. Had your male been exposed to a high-energy cat before? Mine hasn't, and after reading about your situation I'm worried that my male may begin to also act out. 

@AllysonJo When we got our male cat he had another male cat that was his buddy and high energy. Once adopted/home he definitely tried to play with our female cat who sometimes played but more often than not just rolled over and ignored him. We started actively playing with him and continue to be his playmates.

I'm not sure exactly why he started acting out because he didn't respond that way when we got a puppy later on. Then again, we have always thought he acted like a dog....he loves  going for walks outside, comes when called, knows his name, runs to greet you at the door, and even prefers dog food/treats which is a daily battle! 

He is definitely not the dominant one of the group so it wasn't a hierarchy issue. He was abused by a past owner so maybe something about the new cat triggered something or he couldn't handle getting beat up by the other cat whenever he approached her. 

A Fancy Feast For your Furry Friend  Heart

1.JPG

Spoiler
fancyfeast DOT com/DiscoverMedleys/

This was an email I got from F.Feast and when the site opens initially, it has a pop-up questionnaire.  Just close that (1) and click on the Try It Free link (2)

2.JPG

This promo brought to you by the "Letter F

A treat for your purrrfect pet Heart

1.JPG

Spoiler
http : / / wm6.walmart DOT com/Whiskas-Temptations

2.JPG

Anonymous Insider

LOL this reminds me: I've been trying to get an influenster box for ages, but never get the surveys. About a week ago I got two surveys and today I was confirmed for a Vox Box...for my cat (with cat treats) LMFAO. 

TY for the link btw, these are Mochi's favorite 😄

My kitties say thank you! 😄

I adopted a kitty that needed a new forever home! Her name is Miss Monroe. She is so sweet; and I am excited to be her parent. 😊

She's darling! Congratulations on your new family member!

@angel7594 Miss Monroe is so beautiful and also is sweetness personified! Congrats on being her guardian! 🙂

What wonderful news! Congratulations on your new furbaby!

@angel7594,  

How wonderful for both of you!  Miss Monroe looks so sweet.   Soft pink tummy.  How is Martin doing with this news?  🙂 

@tsavorite,

Thank you! Martin will slowly get used to her lol. I think he's jealous 🙂

Congrats on your new fur baby! She's beautiful 🙂

Thanks! 😊

Wholly guacamole @angel7594  Miss Monroe is gorgeous!!  I love her sleep pose...we have that in common Heart

Thank you for adopting her & giving her a loving home 00000.JPG 

Thank you!! 😊 I was so happy to adopt her!

testing