Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

On a path for better work/life balance, first interview in 12 years

Morning BTers!

After 12 years in my current industry (professional services), I have finally made the first step towards a better work/life balance.  I love what I do, but the constant travel, increasing workload, and rising pressures let to a number of health problems and near breakdowns.  

So, I have an interview tomorrow morning for an industry job, but must admit, I'm pretty nervous.  I've conducted hundreds of interviews myself, but it's been a long time since I've been on the other side of the table.  It might be a long night for me as I complete tasks for my current job while researching and preparing for this possible new one.

Wish me luck!  I would love to hear your stories about big career changes and how you've been doing since.

On a beauty note: refreshing my hair color tonight and think I'm all set with my makeup -

• Face: Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, Bye Bye Undereye by it Cosmetics, Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Powder from Tarte, Le Blush Creme de Chanel in Presage
  • Eyes/Brow: Anastasia Brow Wiz in Caramel, Sigma Eyeshadow Base in Provoke, Tightline with Rimmel scandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Kaja in Black, Espresso from Loraco PRO, Foxy from UD Naked 2
  • Lips: Giorgio Armani Rouge Ecstasy in 202
  • Nails: Chanel in Starlet
  • Fragrance: Haven't decided if I will or not

Re: On a path for better work/life balance, first interview in 12 years

Good luck!  My career and it's changes is well a mess right now. Long story.  If you think you'll wear fragrance I'd wear something soft and barely noticeable.  Let us know how it went Smiley Happy

I hate interviews but they are never as bad as I make them out to be.  Just be yourself!  Good luck tomorrow!

I graduated from a private University in 2006 with a degree in Psychology and initally planned on going through with my Masters right after.  Well, once I was old enough to grasp the magnitude of my PRIVATE school loans, I was loathe to add onto them, so I ditched the whole Masters thing.

Everyone knows you cant make much money with only a bachelor's in Psychology, so I was stuck so it seemed.  As an undergrad I worked as a brand rep at A&F and was asked if I wanted to become a "manager" once I had my degree. More money you say, and authority? SURE THING!

And so I became a manager at A&F and hated it- which is a complete 180 from how I felt about it as a brand rep.  I met so many great people there and thought it would be spectacular as a manager, but I was wrong. Long retail hours at only half pay once you hit overtime, working weekends, dealing with theft on a daily basis, and people who didnt want to work (not to mention the pressure to hire people with a certain "look" regardless of their personality or experience) really took its toll on me and I wanted out.

Luckily, my friend was an aspiring accountant at a big company and was able to get me a job doing very basic level accounting functions as a temp worker. Temping was not ideal, but I was desperate to get my foot in the door elsewhere. This lasted a few months and I used this experience to get a full time position at another large company doing accounts receivable.

I worked there for 2 and a half years, then decided to move 10 hours away and by some stroke of luck and great interviewing skills I guess (?) landed a staff accountant position at a small company where I have learned more about accounting than I ever thought possible.  I do all aspects now and am currently working toward a 2nd degree in Accounting (which is being paid for partially).

Point is, I took a risk and it worked out for the best and now I love what I do =)

Sorry for the novel!

I wish you the best of luck during your interview and your future!!

Good luck! I haven't been out of college long but I changed careers after 6 months and couldn't be happier. Don't wait any longer if you're not happy. Your time is very valuable so work/life balance is important. Sending positive vibes your way!

Good Luck!!!!!!  

Hi kimchikween,

Best of luck to you! Smiley Happy I know you will do great!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

Good luck! I am looking for a change as well

If you have been with this company for 12 years and only suffered near breakdowns, consider yourself lucky. It sounds like you've had a good run with your current job, but you know when it's time to move on.

Since you have conducted interviews yourself, you most likely know what kind of answers your interviewer wants to hear. You also know which questions to ask that will indicate that you plan on staying with this prospective new career for a long time. Use that to your advantage. Play the game, as they say.

According to everything I've ever read, perfume is not appropriate for an interview. I wouldn't risk it. 

In all of the interviews I've done over a lifetime, I don't think I've worn perfume once.

Sadly I have no inspiring "changing career path" stories to share - I've been trapped in the same industry for almost 20 years but I do not consider that my career. My real career has never made a dime and might never, so I've always had something to fall back on.

Anyway, good luck and try not to worry. Interviews are ten a penny if you work hard enough to get them, and they are never worth all of the stressing you're probably doing now.

Cheers!

Good luck, kimchikween!  You're doing the right thing.  Go in with confidence (even if you don't feel it) and a smile.  Shake hands firmly.  If you don't know the answer to something they ask or need a moment to think, say so!  Don't make things up; be honest.  Show enthusiasm--even if, while interviewing, you realize you're not sure you want the job.  Don't forget to take something to write with and on, like a day planner if you have one.  This looks professional even if you don't do anything with it.  Smiley Happy  I would also suggest a small or on the small side of medium sized purse...just in case you're someone who likes to carry a suitcase-size bag!  You're going to do great!

Oooooo, sounds exciting, good luck! I recently took a big chance on a new job, similar work but way more responsibility. I had to really think about it, weight out lots of pros and cons (I literally wrote out a list!). Ultimately, I took the risk and feel I'm going to spend the rest of my career at this job, I LOVE IT!

Good for you for your courage in considering a change, sounds like it's time. I wish you the best of luck!!!

Good luck kimchikween!  This is a very exciting time!  I hope everything will go very smoothly and you get the job that you want.   

Good luck on your interview.  I made a similar change about a year ago, and it's the best move I've ever made.  I am a nurse, and was traveling to 7 states on a weekly basis in a corporate position.  I was spending less and less time with my family and the stress level was insane!  The interview nerves will disappear once you get going and you will shine!

Good luck with your interview! Take a few deep breaths and go in with your head high. You'll do great!

Whimsically yours,
Janine

Hope it went/goes well!  (Not sure of your time zone.)  Please keep us posted!!  Smiley Happy

Good luck!! I hope this new path brings all the joy and success you desire!

Aww sorry I didn't see this sooner. But I hope everything goes great for you!

Good luck/I hope it went well! You obviously looked the part with some nice makeup Smiley Happy

Wow - it's been nearly a month since I've been on BT!  It's been a crazy month, but I'm happy to say the interview went well, I got the job, and I start Monday!

I'm SO looking forward to having more free time - now, if only I had hobbies to fill the void...besides makeup, of course.  Smiley Happy

Thank you BTers for all the support - you all are such an amazingly supportive community!

Congratulations!! Wishing you much success in your new position!

Congratulations & good luck!

congrats and welcome back! what makeup did you end up wearing for your interview?

this made me LOL.  so very BT! Smiley Very Happy

So I already knew I had two interviews - first with a male...and next day with a female.  I used that first interview to scope out the office and the women that worked there - what they wore, their make-up, etc...  I was pretty sure the guy wasn't going to much attention to my make-up or outfit as long as it wasn't distracting.  I was equally sure that the woman would notice though maybe not consciously.

I don't recall the exact details (so much has happened since then), but some of the differences were:

Day One - Male Interviewer

• Nails - nude, clear..I didn't have time for a professional manicure beforehand so just made sure they were clean, buffed, etc.
  • I actually wore my glasses so had very simple eye make-up.  I look older with glasses, so I tend to wear them when I interviewer people myself (esp on college campuses) or when I meet clients for the first time.
  • a "your lips but better" cream lipstick
  • Chanel Cream Blush in Presage for a little color

Day Two - Female Interviewer (would-be boss's boss)

• Nails - professionally done French manicure
  • I wore my contacts - black eyeliner tightlined, curled eyelashes and it Cosmetic's Hello Lashes (very natural)
  • a little redder lipstick than the previous day

I'm heading to Nordies on Sunday for some "first day at work" make-up - Smiley Wink esp because I hit pan on my Chanel Vitalumiere aqua cream compact

congratulations kimchikween, that is really exciting news!  and welcome back, I was wondering where you've been lately (and whether you indulged in any of the new holiday collections!) Smiley Very Happy

29 Replies
Conversation Stats