Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

(No Buy challenge) Don't buy that

~*~*~*~*~ Low Buy Thread for 2014~*~*~*~*~

In an attempt to be a conscious/responsible shopper instead of beauty product hoarder,  I went on a no buy from mid-Dec to mid-Jan. Now that I've done my little shopping splurge, time to save up some money (or try to).  The goal for rest of the year is to spend just enough to qualify for VIB, and I'm going to try fund most of it through Swagbucks/Bing Rewards/Ebates (PM me if you want to know more about those sites). To keep myself accountable, I will tally up my total Sephora and beauty spending here as I go along. Yes, I'm airing out my dirty laundry.

Anyone/everyone is welcome to join me. This is not meant to bash any particular products, but if you post then I'll give you reasons why you should delay the purchase, consider the alternative, or why you don't need it. I do not intend to judge or offend, so the disabler kitty will be helping me to keep the tone light:

fat-persian-kitten.jpg

I will keep all my disabling to this thread, so please, ladies, let's not turn this into an enable threadAnd I may need a little nudge from you ladies to help disable my own urges, too. =)

Now then, will I succumb to exciting advertisements and fancy packaging? or will I hold onto my will power and succeed in actually saving some money?

upload_4776517837741034345.jpeg

Re: (No Buy challenge) Don't buy that

I'm in, at least until the next big sale, other than the sale section sale because I will be out of the country with no internet access. which thankfully means I cant shop.

#DisablerModeOn

Most of the stuff in sales section have been there for a while, which means it will stay for a while at least, or holiday sets, which means there will be something similar and just as great again next yr around this time. Unless you had your eyes on the big items like the $200 hair dryer, then 20% doesn't save you that much.

I know which is why its a good thing I'll be far away from my computer for the whole sale

I am so glad you posted this thread! At the moment, I am considering a realistic no-buy goal for myself. I don't want to completely deprive myself of necessities, so I need to determine what I consider necessities. Foundation? of course. Face powder? Of course. Eyeshadow? Eye liner? mascara??? blush?? *head explodes*

So, once I figure that out...then it's the length of time I need to do this for. If I tell myself 6 months and I cave on something 4 months in, I will feel defeated and just give up. I'm thinking I'll just start with a month and see how that goes before I commit to longer. I don't trust myself lol sad, I know.

#DisablerModeOn

I think it helps to categorize your beauty items. This way when you "need" another blush, you will realized you already have 4, possibly including the color you were planning on buying (or maybe mixing/blending two of them will give you the exact same color). And let's face it, it's more satisfying to buy something because you hit the pan, than to buy something when you already have a similar color that you don't use. =)

Try taking an inventory, You'll figure out just how much you have and how you don't need anything for about a year. I inventoried all my beauty products and then made a list of how many of each I have to use up in order to buy another and I realized I can go until major sales and extra point events to make orders replacements of used up items.

THE PICTURE! So cute!

I like this idea.  I need to be un-enabled like there's no tomorrow!

I'm in! Smiley Happy At least until mid January, anyway, when I'm stocking up on skincare goodies, haha. 

LOL awesome thread beautytester!  you're performing a valued public service for us all!  Glad I'm not the only one who felt out-of-control with my holiday spending!

p.s. the hardest thing for me is not buying something just because "it's SUCH a good deal!"  It seemed like EVERY brand had 20% off this holiday season and many had impressive GWPs as well.  I just couldn't help myself even though I didn't really need most of it.

#DisablerModeOn

I have problem resisting deals too. I keep in check by reminding myself that these brands have awesome deals EVERY year and if I have enough of whatever products I want to tide me over until almost the same time next year, then I'll wait until next year. Murphy's Law, right after you splurge on a good deal, a better deal will come along.

I think this was really my first year watching all the holiday sales like a hawk *cough* BT *cough* poshified *cough*, so I didn't know enough to pace myself.  If they have just as good deals like this next year, I mean wow, there's really no reason to buy anything full price ever again!  Except skincare, I am picky about not using old skincare that might be reduced in efficacy.

I'll join you starting in Jan. I will also be keeping and itemizing my receipts so I know how much I actually spend throughout the year. 

I'm planning on buying skincare items during the 2x points in Jan and then only buying staples in April when they have 15% off. That should qualify me for VIB again by then.

If they have 2/3/4x points again in August, I will be splurging then. 

All this sounds great on paper, let's see if I can follow through.

#DisablerModeOn

They have multiple pts thing at least 3 or 4 times throughout the year for skincare and fragrance. There's the 15% off in Apr, 20% off in fall and $20 off in Dec as well as at least two 6-8 deluxe sample bags every year, so I wouldn't center majority of the shopping around 2 or 3 events before the holiday season. =)

#DisablerModeOff

I actually had to tally up all my spending this yr myself due to the qualifying for Rouge problem where my $$$ spent was wrong. =(

You DID see the new Sephora Favorites with oils right? I told myself after Christmas, I would stop buying but there's no way now!

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Insider/RED-ALERT-RED-ALERT/m-p/904511

#DisablerModeOn

I did, but it actually didn't appeal to me because I have tried sample packets of 3 of them, have sizable minis of 4 of them, and am not interested in the other 5. For anyone that needs disabling, the Tarte/Nude has been available as pt perk or promo at least twice. The OH face and Alterna hair available as promo/perk at least once. I *think* I saw the JM hair one as perk before, but JM have holiday sets every yr and those were decently priced. Sephora Favorites sets are always great so I'm sure the nxt one they came up with will be just as great. =)

I ordered the Bare Minerals Crystallized Full Face Collection last night :/ I don't know *how* it happened. I was on BT, looking at the "Favorite Nail Polish Of All Time thread." I saw Dior's Galaxie polish which looked like the perfect holiday color. Went on Sephora.com to maybe order it, and somehow ended up ordering the full face set instead. See? I need this...

Ah! I can totally relate. I was sitting in the library, and then I randomly clicked over to Sephora's sale section. Thirty seconds later, I had BareMinerals Crystallized Full Face Collection AND the Buxom mini-lipsticks in my cart and I was checking out. 

Five minutes later I was like "WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?" I definitely do NOT need more makeup and I had put myself on a "Sephora diet." It's definitely time for a no-buy. (At least till January, haha!)

Wish I knew the Buxom set was going on sale -- bought them a DAY before they went up Smiley Sad And I wasn't supposed to be spending ANY money on Sephora until January either... 

Oh no! Smiley Sad That stinks. I almost did the exact same thing! I almost bought it *right* before it went on sale. 

kicking myself now... but i'm not letting myself buy anything until 2014. i know i'm getting gift certificates for christmas so i hope I can wait 6 days or else i really have a problem... lol 

534 Replies