Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Local sayings

I recanted the following story to my kids the other day and it got me wondering... Are there any sayings (or names for things) that are completely normal where you're from, but are considered strange elsewhere?

Several years ago my Mom came to visit me here in NE from where we're from in WI.  We were out shopping and as she's looking in her purse she says to me, "I'm low on cash.  I need to find a time machine."  I paused and just blinked for a moment until I realized what she was talking about.  "Mom, you can't say that.  They're just called ATMs out here.  If you ask for the nearest TYME machine people will think you're crazy."

(In WI many ATM's said Take Your Money Everywhere on them.)

Also, who knows what a "bubbler" is?

Re: Local sayings

Shoot, I did that, but in a joking way (I hope)...I'm from here!

No Frisco, No San Fran...San Francisco or SF ("The City" is also acceptable though other people will think of Manhattan)...

lol I always say cali, never been. not frisco lol but san fran. 

omg everytime I visited WI , I would start getting that accent! It's such a catchy accent, same with Minnesota.

Mmmm as far as words, I don't know, I can't really remember any weird one's. The whole Soda vs Pop thing makes me laugh, because you can just say Soda Pop.

Bubbler = Hot Tub??? wild guess. Or Champagne???

Bubbler = drinking fountain. When I was 12 we moved to South Carolina, the first time I asked someone where the bubbler was they thought I was crazy. When I explained they were all "ohh the water fountain" and I just thought, no, water fountains are for displays in malls and parks. XD

Mr. Husband swears when me and my mom are around each other our accent multiplies exponentially. So we really lay it on when we are together around him. Oh jeepers ya, dontcha know? Smiley Wink

eh?

(pronounced as a long A vowel sound for you non Northern natives)

Yep. This whole conversation is making me homesick. XD

Thought of another one!  "Fixin'" instead of "getting ready to".  A couple of people I know from Tennessee both say it. As in, "I'm fixin' to eat."

I'm not originally from rural Indiana but here they have different ways of pronouncing words:

crick = creek

winder =window

ye'ens = y'all or something similar

I'm originally from Florida and still call it "soda" even though they call it "pop" here.

I'm from Buffalo and we use:

Jive- which means that it's fine, cool, okay, etc (depends on the context)

Jank- disappointing, messed up, etc. (depends on the context)

Pop ( I say soda)

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • hella.jpg