Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Local sayings

I recanted the following story to my kids the other day and it got me wondering... Are there any sayings (or names for things) that are completely normal where you're from, but are considered strange elsewhere?

Several years ago my Mom came to visit me here in NE from where we're from in WI.  We were out shopping and as she's looking in her purse she says to me, "I'm low on cash.  I need to find a time machine."  I paused and just blinked for a moment until I realized what she was talking about.  "Mom, you can't say that.  They're just called ATMs out here.  If you ask for the nearest TYME machine people will think you're crazy."

(In WI many ATM's said Take Your Money Everywhere on them.)

Also, who knows what a "bubbler" is?

Re: Local sayings

Northern Alberta does that too! I think it is dying out though, just something my uncles and the like say. 

If it comforts you at all (it comforts me), they still say it in the Yukon, and probably in the other territories. One of our local soap shop sells Bug Dope on a Rope (bug dope soap), so I like to think it'll live on forever!

Coke=EVERY carbonated beverage. As in "Wanna Coke? We Have Pepsi, Sprite and Mountain Dew"

In Buffalo it's pop, not soda. We attend gym class (not P.E.) and are required to wear sneakers (not tennis shoes).

I dont think anyone really speaks proper English in Miami! lol we all speak Spanglish and make up our own words, throw in spanish with English. It's chaotic!

And we put "super" in front of everything!!! 

For any of you that want a good laugh.  On youtube there is a video named- Texans trying to pronounce WI city names.  I find it hilarious because I am horrible at pronouncing words I don't know.  I can envision myself in this video.

I will definitely check that out!  I was a waitress in high school at a diner right off the interstate and frequently had people ask, "How do you pronounce Wauwatosa, Oconomowoc, etc.." 

Sounds like when clients would call from Martinez, GA, and pronounce it "Martin-ez". Even Spanish-speaking clients would do this, I guess you just get used to pronouncing it wrong.

Where I grew up in Phila the term for tomato sauce for pasta was "gravy".  And prettyinpa, is that term you referred to "yous"?  That one seems to be pretty popular here in South Jersey also.

"Yinz" is equivalent to "Yous", though obviously pronounced differently. I remember "yous" from when I lived in eastern Jersey, I was confused at first, I thought they were saying "nous" like in French with bad pronunciation!

I've heard gravy in Philly before, I thought it odd that someone would put meat-type gravy on pasta until the waiter explained to me that it was red sauce. 

I live in California + grew up in LA county but my relatives are from all over the US (and I have a lot of them!) so I use a lot of different terms and pronunciations interchangeably (I say "aunt" both ways without even thinking about it, for example).

I don't know which one of them I picked up "catty-corner" from, it means "across the street diagonally", is that a local term for any of you? I think it might be a Midwest thing but I'm not sure.

My mom says that all the time! I haven't heard any one out here in the west say it though.

I grew up in WI and live in NE now.  I've always heard it as "kitty corner".

Oh, how odd! I've always heard it as "kitty-corner" from where I grew up in Canada. I've never heard "catty-corner" before. 

I've heard "kitty corner" as well but only from my mother who inherited many northern midwest terms from her mother.

Never heard "catty corner." lol

Hahaha bubbler. That is so very Wisconsin. Me and the rest of my friends from MN used to go there for camp every summer. We used to laugh about bubbler vs. water fountain vs. drinking fountain. Soda vs. pop vs. Coke... Catty corner is a Midwestern thing. Also directionals seem to be a very midwestern thing. You always go down to somewhere and come back up from it, no matter where it is. 

Though come to think of it, I can't think of anything particularly strange I've picked up on in Seattle. Maybe you guys can tell me?

We say "kitty corner".

I'm from WI and I use kitty corner!

My husband and I have a long standing battle on supper vs. dinner. Then I heard some Minnesota friends call the noon time meal:  dinner! Goodness gracious is there no meal moniker that can be agreed upon!

From what I know dinner is a big meal at the end of a day.  Supper is a big early afternoon meal.  My grandparents, who farmed, always had supper because after being out in the field all morning were very hungry when they came in.  Then there would be dinner at night but that was usually just sandwiches made from the leftover bread and meat from supper.  

It's not really a local saying but most people in California DON'T refer to our state as Cali. If you do you're almost instantly put into the 'tourist' category. Those born and raised just don't really do it. Same with calling San Francisco 'frisco'. I have noticed that those outside of SF do have a bad habit of doing that too which is annoying.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • hella.jpg