Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

How young is too young?

Every now and then when I walk into Sephora I see young girls buying makeup (Well, their parents buying it) Personally, I feel like there's nothing wrong with girls playing around with makeup, but I feel like it's a different story with more high end products. Everyone is raised differently but honestly, I feel like once you have a part time job & start making your OWN money that's a good time to start. Do you remember feeling the need to wear a full face in elementary? I don't 😕 

Re: How young is too young?

That is my train of thought.  Your Mom is a smart woman.  Teenagers suffer from acne and hormonal imbalances, so cheap products are not always good for their overly sensitive skin.  If their parents can afford decent products, I think they should buy them within reason.  I am not talking super high end, but Clinique, Lancome and brands in that range are all acceptable.  Plus, I just saw your skin on that other thread and it is beautiful.

For the parents or kids who cannot afford nice makeup, like me when I was younger, we are just grateful to have makeup at all.

I remember being walked into the hallway by my teacher in elementary and asked to take off my lipgloss and blush And told it wasn't allowed at school. I went to a catholic school so maybe that makes a difference? 

I think the policy to buy your own makeup is a good one. If you're mature enough to work for it (even if it's babysitting) then you're mature enough to wear makeup. 

Obviously there are exceptions (acne and scars to cover up that could be socially damaging) but that's a whole different topic.

I was 13 the first time I ever wore makeup.  While I do not have any daughters, I do not think I would put an age minimum on her for makeup.  If she wanted to wear it at a young age, I would help her wear it in an age appropriate way.  I see nothing wrong with a little girl wearing nail polish and lip gloss.  Maybe adding a little mascara when she gets a little older.  A BB cream can come into play a little later.  Who knows.  I only wore drugstore makeup when I was 13 because it was all I could afford.  My Dad did not buy my makeup.  

I started wearing Lancome at 17 and have not bought any drugstore makeup since.  I would buy makeup for my daughter within reason.  No super high end make up.  I currently have a few drugstore items like NYX and others that came as GWPs from ULTA, samples or in subscription boxes, but I did not buy them.  The one drug store item I did buy in the past 17 years was a Wet N Wild palette very recently (that I have not tried yet but my son insisted I buy in honor of a trip to the park).  

My hypothetical daughter would likely be a very different skin color, so she could not share makeup with me.  I would let her share the sanitary things that made sense color wise and buy her separate things that did not.  It is very likely they would be Sephora rather than drugstore brands.  She will probably start with Lancome the way I did, but I will let her choose for herself.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
testing