Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

@Shosh85 this truly breaks my heart!!!! I will pray for you and your family,, how does he do with headphones connected to a tablet? Or sensory fidgets? Like the pop it's? He's definitely over stimulated? You think? Ok listen, my son would need me to help him calm down, I would massage his joints, like ankles, elbows, feet, wrists, I would kinda wrap my hand around his wrist and move it up and down with light pressure, all the joints. Another thing,,, to try, when it's bad, try taking his favorite blanket and popping it in the dryer and get it nice and warm, and wrap him up like a burrito and hold him close to you like a swaddling a baby. I'm trying to think of the things that would calm my son down when his symptoms were bad. The warm blanket never failed!!

Thanks so much for the advice @lmaster, I really appreciate it! I'm so happy you've found things that help your son!
We've tried heated blankets and weighted blankets, but he immediately throws them off and does not like any blanket wrapped around him tight. He doesn't like to play on the iPad like he use to and throws it if we hand it to him, same with any toy we try to offer him. It took a long time for him to just get use to his helmet and knee pads we put on him to help keep him safe. I just feel like we've tried everything.

@Shosh85 oh man!!! I'm so so sorry ๐Ÿ˜” I sure hope you find some relief,,, I'll keep throwing out things as I think of them, how old is he again?

@lmaster  Oh, thank you so much! I'll take as much as advice/help as I can get.  My oldest is 8. 

Ok that's how old my son with asd is too @Shosh85 do you feel he's over or under stimulated? Has he ever had his ears checked? Or does he have a history of ear infections at all? You said you can read pm just not respond? I sent you one on the meds I'm about to send you another, you don't have to respond, just see if any of it sounds familiar

@lmaster  I just responded to your message about the medication! When this all first started, we thought it might be something medical so we had everything checked - ears, eyes, teeth and plenty of x-rays. He does understand some things we say and can also communicate some things with us on his AAC (Augmented and Alternative Communication) device, but he's still learning to use it.

@Shosh85 that's amazing!!! I hope he's able to find some relief soon 

That's an awful lot, @Shosh85. Life sounds very hard for you and your sons right now. I went through a period of life like this, related to my son's medical condition, where when you're going through it you don't know if you're going to get through it. Do what you need to do to get by. Hopefully the new medicine will work and you'll be through this soon. ๐Ÿ’—

Thank you @curlychiquita. Sorry to hear you've had a similar experience. Watching your child struggle is extremely difficult, especially when you have no idea how to help him.

@Shosh85  I'm so sorry you and your family have gone, and are still going, through all of this. Sending positive vibes and hope for a successful outcome with the new medication! โค๏ธ

@WinglessOne  Thank you so much! We're really hoping this medication will be different from the others.

@Shosh85 I am sorry to hear about the challenges you are going through. I know as a parent all you want is the best for your children. I hope that the medication helps and you find some answers. *Hugs*

Thank you so much @Mellmars1185 All I can say is, COVID sucks. 

How is everyone doing now that we are part way through spring ? I do always find my mood improves a lot when the weather gets warmer ! 

I am having a bit of a stressful day - a creepy crawler came out of my bathtub drain last night and I have a moderately severe phobia of bugs. I did manage to wash it down the drain and pour bleach after it which is a win for me - this is my first time living alone now so I usually just freaked out while my roommate helped me - but it was hard to sleep knowing it had been here and could come back and Iโ€™ve been a bit paranoid about going into the bathroom today

@Kim888  Eeeeeeeee, Iโ€™m normally okay with bugs but I am not okay with them coming out of faucets or the idea of them hiding in โ€˜cleanโ€™ areas youโ€™re supposed to be able to let your guard down in.  Haha, Iโ€™d have a can of raid nearby for a while โ€˜just in case;)โ€™ 

@Kim888 with warmer temperatures, we will have lizards here in my apartment haha ๐Ÿคฃ....I usually use a broom to help me get them out of the window ๐ŸฆŽ๐ŸฆŽ๐Ÿงน

@Skunk12puzzola I imagine thatโ€™s also not a fun surprise to find! I donโ€™t live somewhere with lizards so I totally associate them with vacation haha but I imagine itโ€™s not fun to see them inside !

@Kim888  Omg when we went to St Barths a lizard was in our hotel room!  I was so excited and was taking soooo many photos of him thinking he was super special, then we went outside and they were EVERYwHERE!!!  My soul was so happy!  The lizards were one of my favourite features of the trip!  

@Kim888 not fun at all ๐Ÿคฃ also, these little, gross creatures are sooooooooo fast and tiny ๐Ÿ˜ค. One second you can see them on the floor and as soon as you start "spanking" them with the broom, they start to run and you will not know where they go. Days later, you find them behind doors, wardrobes etc. It's a "dirty" job keeping them outside. I live in the middle of my city, not in a rural area, but still....we have them, and probably, they enter in people's houses because it's cooler indoors than outside. Last year I cutted the tail of one of the two lizards that were in the house, and that horrible tail was moving on its own ๐Ÿคฌ

Oh my @Skunk12puzzola I would faint!  Ours stay outside for the most part except in the garage sometime. My pup loves them so much and goes after em. Swore he had a baby in his mouth once ( tail?! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ) and I shrieked at him so badly, poor little man. Lol. I didnโ€™t realize you guys had them too! 

@Kim888 - The older I get, the less freaked out I get about creepy crawlies.  Flushing down a drain or toilet or sucking them up in my canister vacuum works best for me!  I'm so glad spring is here...especially the time change with longer daylight. ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒป

4 Replies
testing