Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Thank you @greeneyedgirl107 ❤️ 

This year's been awful for many people in my "personal circle." Some of my friends have lost one or both parents, or siblings, cousins, aunts, and uncles. I've had friends in quarantine or hospital with covid diagnoses. My immediate family members live in a southern state where waaay too many people refuse to do something as simple as wear a bleeping mask in public, let alone avoid gathering in large groups (at parties, bars, etc.), so I worry myself sick about my closest family daily, as well as the kids, relatives, and unwitting contacts of all those maskless strangers. Some of my loved ones have MS and other chronic illnesses that make them immunocompromised, and the last thing they need is to come into contact with the cooties of some selfish stranger. I don't want anyone else—not even total strangers—to lose loved ones this year to covid19 or anything else. I just want everyone to still have living breathing loved ones to see in person when this pandemic is finally under control. 

@WinglessOne You are so kind to be thinking about so many.  Take care!!!  xoxo

@sprocketta ,

I just heard a quote,  "It's better to have a Zoom Thanksgiving than an ICU Christmas!"

You were doing your best to protect your family's lives, and you protected many other people's lives at the same time.

Maybe next it will be, "It's better to have a Zoom Christmas than an ICU New Year!"

So yesterday was Thanksgiving and I did not fly home for it. It was the worst Thanksgiving of my life. The bright spot was seeing my best friend here who invited me over because she knew I was on my own. I didn't eat with her but we talked with masks on while she did some cooking and her husband kept their sons occupied. Her 3 year-old son joined us for a while and was very happy about the cookies I brought them. I got to try some southern Thanksgiving items and it was interesting to see how someone else does their own holiday. I felt very grateful for her.

I had a zoom call with my family later in the evening. I had gotten them presents that they were excited about, but it was mostly just depressing. Everyone looked unhappy. They were all wearing masks because my sister is on dialysis and very vulnerable and they chose to get my parents and sister's households together. They kept talking about how the day didn't feel right without me. I mostly just shopped online after the call.

I feel so down today. I am excited about presents I have found for people but seeing how Thanksgiving felt I am not looking forward to Christmas by myself. I was watching a show on Netflix, Holiday Home Makeover with Mr. Christmas, and it was great to see over the top decorations. I watched one episode and it was too much to watch another thinking about what I will miss. My heart goes out to everyone who is missing spending the holidays with their family. Just writing this post has made me cry. 

@sprocketta  I’m sorry you had a depressing thanksgiving. It’s hard to do family visits over zoom. My husband is military and he’s been away for most holidays since we have been together and I rarely go home for holidays so I know how depressing it is to zoom holidays. I’m glad your friend invited you over. It’s nice to have support. If you need any extra support over Christmas you can always zoom call me I don’t mind. We will be home alone this year again. What goodies did you buy while shopping?

@sprocketta you can come over to my house for Christmas if you'd like! After what happened at Thanksgiving I don't think we're going anywhere either. I'm so sorry you felt lonely as no one wants to feel that especially during the holidays, but I am glad that you had a nice visit with your friend. Maybe we all can really have Christmas in July this year! The wind chill is in it's 20's right now with nasty sleet/rain so a nice day in the 80's with a tree sounds fantastic to me. ((hug))

@niki172 thank you. I appreciate that. So many people traveled, including someone I work with but I'm working from home.

@sprocketta @Im sorry to hear you had a tough thanksgiving! The holidays are really tough when you can’t go home! 

@Kim888 a friend reminded me that this is just for 1 year and that I haven't lost future holidays with a family member that passed due to covid like many. Thank you.

@sprocketta - I'm sorry you had to spend Thanksgiving alone!  It's nice that a friend invited you over and you spoke to your father.  (((HUG)))

Thanks @Titian06 I was really lucky my friend invited me over. She kept thanking me and I couldn't understand why and asked. I pointed out that she was willing to take me in on the holiday. Her response was that I took the risk to see her. I hadn't thought of it that way. I felt very grateful.

@sprocketta ,

I can relate to the heartbreak of spending Thanksgiving and Christmas away from family.  For me, long before the pandemic, it was part of life, growing up, living states away from family, and being required to work on the Holidays.  Some jobs have staffing needs around the clock and around the calendar, like the frontline workers in the ICU's.  They may be having Thanksgiving and Christmas far away from their families, too.

@tsavorite you're absolutely right. I feel like a jerk for complaining. I appreciate that you worked holidays to take care of others. My brother-in-law is an OR tech and takes call on holidays and sometimes has to go in but usually gets some time with us those days.

@sprocketta ,

You are not a jerk!  You are entitled to your feelings.  It's perfectly legitimate to miss being with your family at the Holidays.  You also did the best thing to protect your family members who are at such high risk.  People who travel and mingle in a pandemic are endangering their families, healthcare workers, and everyone else.

Let's look forward to other years being much, much better!

Yes @tsavorite you are right

Thought I would do a little update/vent a little. I live in Los Angeles County, and this past weekend they started a curfew for restaurants/gatherings to be done by 10pm. They then updated that starting Wednesday night there will be no more dine in (on patios) at restaurants. I have to say I think its a bit stupid doing that, considering that all the other counties are still allowed to do that. If your going to close it down for one county, then you should do it for all, considering numbers are not getting better, and most counties are easy to get to, such as Orange County, which has Disneyland, or Ventura County which has a lot of stuff too. In other words people will/can easily travel to another county if they wanted to.

I have to say I am a bit bummed out though, since its going to be my bfs and I 10 year anniversary, and we planned to go to Catalina Island, for a mini staycation to celebrate, but since its part of LA county, it looks like everything is going to be closed for dining, and since its an island it would be too cold to just sit outside somewhere to eat. To top it off the hotel today cancelled our reservations, unsure for what reason, since it could be they overbooked, or for many other reasons. Honestly feeling a bit bummed about it, but I think I feel more ticked off that they just don't close everything. But I guess Newsom does not want his winery to suffer in Napa. Sorry had to vent a little.

@Anastasiya13  Aww I’m so sorry your staycation was cancelled. Happy 10 years that’s awesome!!

@ather  Thank you very much ❤️

@Anastasiya13 i am so sorry all your plans got blown apart. I hope you and your boyfriend find another nice way to celebrate.

@sprocketta  Thank you hon 

Oh man @Anastasiya13 I’m sooo sorry for all your plans going awry now. You know how I feel in OC too. Agree to all. It’s just nuts. Our grocery stores are so crowded now too it makes me nervous. Only certain ones truly counting people and ensuring masks which is crazy. I go in and out fast and I love grocery stores! 😖 I’m sure our stuff will have to close also. Makes no sense. Hugs my friend. 🤗🥰😘

2 Replies
testing