Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

@sprocketta Are the people in NC like the people here in Idaho? The people that won't wear masks, at least the ones that post about it, say wearing a mask is trampling on their rights as an American and it's just the government trying to control us? 

Due to testing issues I figured mine will be negative and I'm going to wait a while to get the anti-body test. 

@Samtian I don't think there's outright antipathy to the masks here like by you. I think it's more a matter of people feeling like it's an uncomfortable inconvenience. I can completely understand that. But I still wear one if I'm going out in public.

I hope, if you have it, you get a positive result which will make things easier with time off work. I'm still not confident in the antibody testing. Obviously I hope you don't have covid at all of course!

@sprocketta Thank you. I have more confidence in the anti body test then the regular. We'll see. I'm glad people there don't have the views they have here. Too bad they won't wear them. 

My family is Chinese so I have been really big on mask wearing. Years before the covid-19 pandemic, I always had a bunch in the medicine cabinet for when anyone took ill and for the longest time wearing a mask in public was strictly a part of Hong Kong etiquette and I never saw non-East Asians doing it. Now I'm finally seeing more people of different backgrounds wearing masks in Toronto! I hope this will eventually become the norm as research from China, Italy and New York shows they make a positive difference and it's such a small thing to do. I'm not sure there's been enough education about mask wearing thoug? I see quite a few people wearing masks under their noses and chins or just fiddling with them. I get it, they take getting used to, but maybe it would help if there was more education.

Ontario's case numbers are dropping but we still have a lot of community spread. This current phase feels half assed to be honest 😞 so that's the other reason why I hope mask wearing will become more widespread.

On a better note, more people are wearing masks and independent designers are coming up with fun designs. I have one a friend made and have two in the mail that say STAY HOME TORONTO ♥ I think it looks futuristic 🙂

StayHomeToronto-9900-BL-01_700x

Do you have an awesome or pretty mask? I'd love to see it 👀

I love the mask on you, @pocketvenus! I always had masks in the house because of the immune supressant that my son is on.  We always wear one at home when one of us is sick. I wish people wearing masks would stick around even after COVID goes away. It really protects others from your cold, too.

@curlychiquita Thanks! That is actually the website's model photo, I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered 🙂 And I agree, I hope we start using them for other bugs too.

I also used them when moving to avoid inhaling dust. Bonus points for avoiding facial recognition technology 😛 They are very useful!

Got you! Thanks, @pocketvenus!

@pocketvenus I live in MA and the state has had a mandatory masking requirement since April or May (at first it was just indoors, then also included outdoors/public places where you couldn't socially distance). MA has been super hard hit so everyone is incredibly wary of getting sick, I would say 90% of the people I see in public are complying with the mask orders, which makes me happy 🙂 We're in phase 2 of re-opening which allows outdoor seating at restaurants, so we'll know in 2 weeks if that's safe or not! It's evenly split between the disposable surgical masks and the more colorful cloth masks. I find myself checking out every passing mask for new designs and styles, I'm all for it!

I will say, I was hesitant to wear a mask and even advised my elderly parents against wearing masks in early March (before the state decree) because we are also east-asian and I was afraid off ignorant individuals yelling at them, or worse. Now, masks are so widely worn and acceptable, that seeing someone WITHOUT a mask is more jarring.

tl:dr - WEAR A MASK! Do it for your community 🙂 It's literally the least you can do and it could save so many! 

@pocketvenus  Some of my mask wearing...

IMG_20200401_145312.jpgIMG_20200503_112221.jpgIMG_20200523_120735.jpgIMG_20200614_122833.jpg

Also: I only pull up my mask around my face when I'm running in dense areas, near-ish to people. Otherwise, it's very tough to breathe and not really recommended unless you are BEYOND fit and trained previously with oxygen restrictive masks. Also, it's hot 🙂 

I love the masks, @MissPuff! I know I couldn't run in one. I would do the same thing.

Thanks @ather , @pocketvenus , @Samtian  🙂 The lemon is my favorite too, I actually got it from Erin Robertson's website, she and her crew have been sewing and donating masks to all the front line workers in the Boston area and beyond, while offering a few limited designs for sale. 

@MissPuff  I love when companies do that!! I know croc was donating shoes to hospital workers. I thought it was such a sweet idea!

@MissPuff  I love the lemon one!! Sooo cute!! 

@MissPuff I really like the trellis pattern mask but LOVE the lemon mask! Thanks for sharing, so summery 🙂 🍋🍋🍋

I'm sorry you didn't feel safe. I've had similar thoughts cross my mind too about being targeted. But I am glad mask wearing has become so normalized where you are! I hope this happens in Toronto and the rest of Canada too.

@MissPuff Ooh I love the lemons!

@pocketvenus @Here are some of mine 

0AEB474A-1234-4EDD-B1CF-8AD65B3DB060.jpeg

@SportyGirly125 These patterns are tooooo cute. Bubble tea and smiling dumplings!! <33 Thanks for sharing 🙂

@pocketvenus I’m also Chinese and we have always had masks in our house for years so when people were having a hard time buying them this year I was glad I had some for me and my family to wear.  I would always wear them at work if I felt sick and didn’t want people to catch anything before this pandemic happened. 

@SportyGirly125  Omg how cute! Did you make these?? 

@ather I bought them. I wish I could sew. 

@pocketvenus 

I have that one to from Peace Collective I think?! It’s one of the better ones I ordered. I also ordered some from an independent designer on Lakeshore 

Joseph Tassoni. They hold up incredibly well in the washer however are a thinner material. 0C660E59-662C-4DB4-8722-CDA53992651B.jpeg

6 Replies
testing