Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

@sprocketta I hate that for your brother in law. Not only...

@sprocketta I hate that for your brother in law. Not only will it be stressful in the ER but extra stress in worrying about bringing it home to your sister! I'm thankful your parents are playing it safe. I sent this article to my mother the other day to put some extra fear in her to stay at home. Do I feel guilty, nope, if scaring her to stay home is what it takes, I'm good. I've gone by her townhouse twice this week, once to leave groceries and take out food, and once to bring her clorox (that I happen to have a gallon in my garage) Here's the article in case you need to forward to your parents, stay strong and safe.

Re: @sprocketta I hate that for your brother in law. Not only...

@Luvstravel my BIL has actually told my parents this can happen. That when hospitals run out of ventilators, the people who will get them are the younger people who are more likely to survive. That was a couple weeks ago. I actually talked to them last night and they claim they're going to stop going out. I'll believe it when I see it. Unfortunately the conversation got ugly because they just believe my sister is just projecting her anxiety about her husband onto them. I'm not really sure what's going to happen but I don't want to be on bad terms and stay in touch. It is very difficult right now.

Re: @sprocketta I hate that for your brother in law. Not only...

@Luvstravel ,

Good for you, did it work?  

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

@sprocketta, that's a lot to have going on, with your sister and her husband and your parents.  I do want to point out that there appears to be a lot of drama right now between your sister and your parents.  That isn't a criticism, a lot of families have it.  You live far away, on your own, so try not to let them draw you into it so that you are "picking sides".  It's ok to love people but also limit the amount of time that you actually talk to them for your own mental health.

Thanks @curlychiquita you make a really good point. I tried to talk to my parents tonight despite all this because I love them and wanted to check in. It went badly. They claim my sister is projecting her anxiety about her husband on them. I got upset. I am trying to maintain my mental health right now. I had a video appointment with my therapist this morning before it all blew up and have emailed requesting another appointment sooner than the one I had scheduled for a week from today.

By the way, i didn't comment, but saw your post about your son who is immunocompromised. You're a terrific mom and I am keeping you guys in my thoughts. Thanks for the support.

@sprocketta, I'm glad you have someone you're talking about this with.  Good luck!  Also, thank you for your kind thoughts! 

I’m sorry, I hope your family will be ok! 

@sprocketta I'm sending lots of well wishes and good vibes your way! Hopefully your parents decide to take things a little more seriously and refrain from any extra unnecessary risks. I wish your BIL the best and hope he stays safe.

@sprocketta  Sending you virtual hugs and a big woooooooooosaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.

I find it slightly ironic that a LOT of the elder population is actively ignoring social distancing and just living their lives. I can't tell you how many articles I've seen and people I've spoken about their parents essentially saying, screw it, I'm still doing me, who cares! Considering we're all doing this FOR the most vulnerable, the least they could do is cooperate 🙂

That being said, though it will be hard, please take some comfort that your parents are FINALLY listening to you and that you've done your best! We're all adults, and for better or worse, adults are going to do exactly what they want to do, others be damned 🙂 You've given them the information and for your own sanity, there's not much more you can do (trust me, my parents were a tough sell in the beginning too!) so you just need to take care of yourself first, maintain your own health and sanity, so that you can be there for your sister. 

I've got several friends who have a spouse working the front lines and they have all come up with a routine to decontaminate once they get home, and also practice the 6 ft buffer within the house. One of my friends just had a baby, and it's so tough to not cuddle his son, but unfortunately, these are the times we live in. Know that we're all behind you though, and we will all get through this! You're doing great already, give yourself a break and a pat on the back 🙂 

@sprocketta @Oh no that sounds really stressful ! Definitely thinking of your family! It’s so hard when tensions run high and especially when you know someone on the front lines of all of this !

@sprocketta   Two ventilators left?  I hope the companies that are going to switch from making their usual products (cars, etc.) get  a move on.

I did read, somewhere, that a lot of patients would actually do okay on a less intensive breathing machine (c-pap I think,) maybe hospitals should look into that.

My husband just received some info from his place of work that the CDC changed its guidelines of who is at risk for a bad outcome for COVID- they changed the age from 60 to 65, and took away high blood pressure!  Doesn't that seem a little odd considering all the other countries, like Italy, that gathered the info from their patients and saw that trend themselves?

I'm sure you will be a voice of reason and calm for your family. 🙂

So, I started social distancing 13 days ago (yes, I've been counting the days) and staying home. Well, eight days in, the last friend I saw in person told me that she tested positive for coronavirus, so therefore, I needed to be quarantined. Thank God I don't have any symptoms, and I'm glad I stayed home that entire time (except to get groceries via curbside pickup) in case I'm one of those asymptomatic people who could potentially get others sick. 

I just cook and bake a lot. And I live alone, so my freezer is getting really full. I also learned how to embroider by watching YouTube videos and browsing Pinterest. I started with song lyrics before I started embroidering my thoughts (I had to Google how to write a cursive Q!):

F2CB2B94-E2DB-4CD4-8F2F-4C13BFC00A19.jpeg

Some days, I feel like I'm getting used to the solitude, but other days, I'm reminded of this time I got trapped in an elevator alone. Or I feel like I'm losing my mind a little more with each passing day. I'm so tired of my little one bedroom apartment! But I'm so thankful that I have friends I text with pretty much all day long, and I FaceTime with family several times a day. I think I talk to some of my friends more often now than ever before, which is nice!

@txcatx ,

I love your embroidery. That's priceless.  I'm glad that you are well!  I like all the ways that you are entertaining yourself!  You make me smile.

I'm glad you checked in @txcatx I'm so glad you self quar...

I'm glad you checked in @txcatx I'm so glad you self quarantined. I would feel horrible if I passed it along to someone not knowing that I had it. With up to a 14 day incubation time, that's really scary. Glad you are still symptom free. Try to stay sane and stay safe.

Wow, you did a wonderful job!  I love your attitude and how you love learning.  Hopefully this is almost over, @txcatx, so that you don't feel cooped up!

@txcatx That needlepoint is amazing 🙂 I'm so glad you're okay, I feel like I give myself mini panic attacks everyday and I don't even personally know anyone who's tested positive yet. You're truly a rockstar 🙂

@txcatx @How cute ! It sounds like it ended up being a good thing you were quarantined but that definitely doesn’t make it easier in the midst of all of it !

@txcatx   You have an amazing sense of humor!  I used to do needlepoint all the time when I was young.  It gives such a feeling of accomplishment to finish a project.

@txcatx  haha, awesome...I did that when I was a kid, when I lived w/my grandma.  I can just imagine someone finding that decades from now, at a thrift shop or something, going "hmmm, I wonder what that was about..." LOL 😛

@txcatx   Haha, that’s fantastic!   If you’re extra bored and decide to make a second one you should stitch the coronavirus onto the cotton!  It’s so similar to the flowers.   😂   Sorry you’ve had such a close call and have been in full on quarantine.  

4A2D87BB-7CF2-4462-B936-0706FB791977.jpeg

@heartsmyface That's exactly what I was going for--the coronavirus, but make it prettier!

11 Replies
testing