Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Health and Sanity Check-Ins

Things are crazy now. I think we are all trying to stay healthy and maintain sanity as well. I thought I would start this thread so folks can check in and discuss how they're doing. I want all my BIC friends to be okay. I will kick this off with a first post. Take care of yourself lovelies.

oh my gosh @twilightnicky I'm so sorry to hear you lost y...

oh my gosh @twilightnicky I'm so sorry to hear you lost your family!!!

Re: oh my gosh @twilightnicky I'm so sorry to hear you lost y...

Thank you ❤️

Re: Health and Sanity Check-Ins

@twilightnicky my heart goes out to you. I think this will cause a lot of depression. But it stinks that you were already feeling down. I hope you are seeing a mental healthcare provider. My therapist did a video conference appointment with me yesterday. I am very concerned the isolation will push me into depression as well. I am proud of you for knowing yourself and being aware. You have my heart and thoughts.

I wish I could afford therapy, but I am on meds and taking it a day at a time....I also predicted that depression and anxiety would get worse for ones that already have it or start it for others. I really feel for the ones that have gotten the virus, the ones who passed away and for job losses 😢 I hope you will be ok in isolation! I’m glad you have a fur baby, they are truly amazing ❤️ Here’s mine 56D1826C-6002-408E-B075-4EC7ED1E8914.jpeg

Has anyone else had issues wrangling their elderly parents?! I swear, my parents are worse than teenagers, trying to convince them not to go out unless absolutely necessary (and since I'm in town and can bring them whatever it is they need, it is never necessary) is like pulling teeth! The haggling, the bargaining!

I had a brief moment of levity this week when I was arguing with my parents about making sure they stay at home and wash their hands/don't touch their face. In a true Freaky Friday moment, my mum actually said to me, "I'm an adult, you can't tell me what to do!" and my retort was, "Don't make me take away your car keys!" 😂🤣

In all seriousness, thank you to everyone [praticing social distancing and self-quarantining. My elderly parents and I deeply, deeply, appreciate it 🙂 We're in this together! 

My parents are trying, but not really thinking things through completely @MissPuff.  Things like, my Mom still watched my cousin's son because she had "already made that commitment to her".  I had to remind my mom that some people can have it, but not show symptoms, and that can happen especially with kids.  She said, "I didn't really think of that."  Then she wanted my 19 year old son to come down for the weekend last weekend, but he had just gotten out of the hospital the Wed before (he's okay, but has an autoimmune disease that needed immediate attention).  I explained to her that we couldn't know if he was exposed to anything while at the ER or in the hospital (I'm really trying to to let my anxiety run away with that), and again, she said she hadn't thought of that.  I was finally thinking that I was getting through to her and that she was understanding, but I talked to my son last night who said she asked him to come down this weekend.  Keep in mind he's in an area that didn't start the shelter-in-place until 2 days ago.  *HEADDESK*

@MissPuff  Aww I’m sorry your parents aren’t listening. My friend keeps telling her mom not to leave her house and her mom just tells her she’s mean. You might be on to something with taking their keys away!!

@MissPuff  There’s a fairly recent news article somewhere about the struggles of gen x women becoming caregivers for their boomer parents while also caring for younger generations. While I don’t have young dependents (well, not directly dependent), I do have 2 stubborn parents in their 70s who live several states away (Florida), where I can’t easily monitor them. I’m less concerned about my mother leaving the house. My father, though... for health reasons, he shouldn’t be out around other people at all right now. But he’s definitely not a stay home kind of person. He’s too extroverted and type A for that. I’m about ready to start GPS tracking him via Find My Phone or something, so I can call and demand he return home whenever I see he’s out. 😄 

I do think my mom’s trying to keep him home. She’ll drive him nuts as a warden; he’ll drive her nuts as an attempted escapee; and eventually, I’ll have to try convincing my brother (who also lives in FL, but nowhere near our parents) to drop in on them as a peacekeeping mission. 🤦‍♀️ 

It could be worse: I know someone whose house is currently full of his parents, his wife and kids, and his very young grandkids. He also has a dog and 4 cats and says wrangling the pets is much easier than keeping all the humans in line. “At least all the cats will come running and sit still in front of me as soon as they hear the can opener. What sound works on humans? What did I do to deserve this?” 🤣 

I hope you’re able to keep your parents contained! 

@WinglessOne Ha, sounds a little like my parents 🙂 I actually DO have GPS tracking on their phones, though it was for other reasons! They're finally being more cooperative this week, mostly because everything is closed now and there's no where to go! It's also currently snowing, so there's that!

Ha, your poor friend 🙂 as much as I love my family, being in one house with ALL of them...that would be tough even in the best of times!

@MissPuff YES!!! I talked with my Mom the other day to check in on her, and she told me she had just gone out to lunch with some ladies! I was floored. I've been in self-quarantine for almost two weeks already, no unnecessary risks for me. 

lol at your Freaky Friday comment. Hugs to you and your family 🙂

@eshoe  Hugs to you too! The olds are so nonchalant! I'd like to think it's because some of them survived truly insane things (my parents are refugees and escaped PIRATES when fleeing their country) so at first glance, this all seems like a bit much. But we're doing this for them! 🙂 It's starting to sink in now though, I didn't even step inside on Sunday, just dropped off groceries and waved from the other side of the glass door! 

it's funny they're always talking about the young ppl going out, but apparently it's the old ppl!! lol 😮

@eshoe what happened that put you in self,-quarantine? How's your sanity?

ETA @sprocketta sanity is F-A-D-I-N-G 😂

@sprocketta I just wanted to take extra precautions. I miss going out to eat, we haven’t been doing takeout just me cooking at home. We are trying to make the most of it, at least we can go in the backyard and have a little campfire:) I really feel for those who are alone right now, stuck in their homes/apartments. 

How are you doing with it so far?

You are such a good daughter @MissPuff I hope they let you take care of them, the way you want. Stay safe.

@fatimamummy  you too!!! They're fighting me, but they've mostly been good this week, I think the seriousness of the situation is really catching up and freaking them out a little. Hope you and your family are keeping safe and sound!

I hope they let you bring them stuff, @MissPuff!

I hope they let you bring them stuff, @MissPuff!

Re: I hope they let you bring them stuff, @MissPuff!

@curlychiquita  They LOVE me bringing stuff to them, but then also want to go out, or want me to come in and hang (never mind that I'm still actively working since I'm in food manufacturing). They were better this weekend, the news is starting to freak them out. 

I'm with you @MissPuff. I told my mom whatever she needs...

I'm with you @MissPuff. I told my mom whatever she needs I'll get to her. She lives about 15 minutes away. Tomorrow after work I'm dropping of Sudafed to her door in a sack because our allergy season is in full swing in Louisiana. I told her if I don't have it, I'll get it shipped to her, so please stay indoors. She's a gym addict at 76 years old and truly feel bad or her home alone, while I at least have my husband, but at least I can say she's still here and I'd like to keep it that way. I would like to reiterate what MissPuff said, please stay at home and encourage others also.

Stay on them however you get it accomplished! This articl...

Stay on them however you get it accomplished! This article is enough for me to tell my mom anything to keep her home!

1 Reply
testing