Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Getting Personal

I just wanted to tell you guys how much you help me out.  I suffer from EXTREME Depressive Disorder. I'm actually on Disability for it even though I was able to get a Degree with a Concentration and 2 Minors at NCState and work till I was 30.  This board has helped me to interact with other people instead of going into myself. It''s gotten me to get up, get dressed, AND put makeup on Smiley Wink, and laugh (really hard).  I even got to do something for someone else with TSB and went out to the Post Office twice that day (my parents were in shock I think Smiley Happy  So I just wanted to thank you so much for just being apart of this board because if you wern't on it, it wouldn't be the same!

Re: Getting Personal

To anyone that's lost a loved one, I suggest reading "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo.  My mom picked it up the other day at the bookstore and it made me cry so much, not only from what happened but the fact that it reaffirms my faith and others that our daughter that passed away is in Heaven with my grandmother and Dan's grandparents waiting for us.  Wow.  My husband read it and it made him tear up too.

waterbaby1981 wrote:

To anyone that's lost a loved one, I suggest reading "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo.  My mom picked it up the other day at the bookstore and it made me cry so much, not only from what happened but the fact that it reaffirms my faith and others that our daughter that passed away is in Heaven with my grandmother and Dan's grandparents waiting for us.  Wow.  My husband read it and it made him tear up too.

Thanks for the share!

xoxoxoxox

<3<3<3

I'm sorry to hear that, but I feel sad a lot too.  I would like  to share some sad things that turned out to be a blessing.  My mom left my dad in January this year after 27 years of marriage, and me and my brother and sister were appalled.  My sister and brother barely spoke to her since, but my sister needed surgery on cyst on her ovary last week.  Prayer made it happen that they saved both ovaries and she is doing well.  My mom finally reached out to her and helped her with recovery and took off of work to do so.  Then if that wasn't enough stress, my dad got a Golden Retriever puppy who swallowed a wire and needed surgery last Saturday.  We gave him a kiss and prayed for the best and it was getting a lot later than it was supposed to take so we called and the puppy had puked up the wire and didn't need surgery.  Which my mom came with for the day to help with the pup and made my dad happy that she still cares. 

Well one thing I can say is God will help you get through tough times and that taking vitamin A & D and St. John's Wort helps with my emotions.

@ mermadelove & waterbaby1981:  I am so very, very sorry to hear of the loss of your children.  My daughter lost twins on her and her husband's first try at having a child and it was devastating to not only her, but to the whole family.  There's not a whole lot to say to make you feel better except that I just wanted to let you know how very sorry I am that each of you had to go through such a tragedy.  They are in God's hands now along with my little twin grandchildren.  Smiley Happy

I'm having an awful day.  Well the past three days haven't been good. But last night I woke up at 1:30am upset and have been up ever since. Yesterday I was depressed and then found a VS bill due today, I got it paid on the internet but it was a real pain. Then although I didn't think I should be driving I had to run uptown to the store and I had a minor fenderbender (no marks on either car - my Higher Power was watching :-) Then I went in the store and I was so thrown I got double everything I needed but didn't realize it until I got home.  I was just a mess.  Then I realized my housemate ( I let a guy - friend ---and that's all we are is friends, not my type ---- move in with me a year ago b/c I live in an old redone 3 bedroom house) had been eating some of the last of some of my most prized foods that my mother got in a special store and been using some of my Peter Thomas Roth skincare! I hadn't even opened the bottle yet and it was 1/3 gone.  He was in his room reading(it was around 10 at night)  and when I went to his room to confront him, I smelled cigarette smoke!  Now, I do understand that it is too cold to smoke outside here in the winter, so I set up a "smoking room",  it's actually my back mudroom with a chair and an ashtray and smoke doesn't come into the house. And I couldn't believe that with the smoking room I created he would smoke in the house.  I was so upset again.  So needless to say I had a lot on my mind when I woke up at 1:30am  I talked it all out and we made a plan for him and he knows one more thing and he's out. (Those weren't the first things.)  I never had roommates before - except for 2 years of college- and I find I really like it. I don't want to have to kick him out. but he's acting like an addict and I won't have that!

I'm sorry to here your day has been tough Smiley Sad Try pampering yourself for awhile follow up with a relaxing hobby. I do meditation/yoga and weight training when I have a stressful day like this. Best wishes.

Tags (2)

@katimae:  I'm so sorry to hear how stressful the past few days have been for you.  Since I suffer from depression, anxiety and panic attacks, I can totally relate to how you must have felt for instance when finding the VS bill due all of a sudden.  I hate when that happens and I have to run to the PC and try to get the payment posted before I get a late fee.  And I don't drive much anymore unless I have to because of my anxiety so I can just imagine how you must have felt while being so stressed out and then having a fenderbender!  Thank goodness you were OK and it was not a serious accident!  On the bright side about buying double of everything at the store, at least you won't have to go back to the store for a while--ha, ha! Smiley Wink  As  far as your roomie goes, I can't believe that he would smoke in his room when you went to all the trouble of setting up a smoking area for him!  That was really rude!  And on top of that, I can't believe he was eating your food and using your PTR skincare products!  If he doesn't straighten up then I think you have every right to kick him to the curb the next time he does something stupid like that!  Anyway, maybe you should check out Sephora's sale page--that cheers me up sometimes--ha, ha! Smiley Happy  Seriously, I hope everything gets better for you quickly. Smiley Happy

@katimae- Oh, you poor little thing!  And you probably had to drive in snow today, too? Days like yours can be so trying!!! I have had trouble paying bills on VS's website, and they charge ridiculous interest if you are even one day late! 

I hope you get things worked out with your housemate. Take some time for yourself, you deserve it!!

Oh, guys, thank you so much.  What you wrote met so much to me!  After I wrote on here and talked to a few friends I was calm enough to sleep..  So I slept a little today. And I feel better tonight.  I'm actually really proud of myself for standing up to him and putting myself first.  I had trouble doing that with my last husband. But I think we'll be jback on track now.  I just know I'm going to get a good night of sleep tonight! lol

Thanks again. What you wrote means the world to me.   --Kati

@katiemae: You should be proud of yourself! Dealing with sticy situations in a positive way can be difficult in the BEST of times. Dealing with it when you already feel horrible is even harder!

Blessings to you, you sweet lady!

I don't want to jinx myself, but I think I might be starting to feel better.  Shhhhh...

Wow, thank you to everyone who shared their stories here and for their courage! It goes to show that you might never know what someone is going through in their personal life and a little extra kindness can go a long way... <3

I've definitely found a regular meditation practice to be really beneficial in making yourself aware of your own patterns of cognition and emotional flux. I noticed a major difference in how I react to things and it definitely came in handy when I was trapped in a very negative work environment. Actually, I discovered BT around that time... I had a supervisor who repeatedly lied to me about my hours/income and took every chance she could to remind me of my supposed incompetence and how expendable I was. I stayed there b/c I needed to pay the bills and I started checking in here at work. Normally, I never slack off like that, but it made the day a bit brighter! That and working on my resume at work lol. Sorry, I'm digressing... for readers who are interested in meditation, there is a book called The Mindful Way Through Depression which is very popular and I'd recommend it highly. There are so many studies now that show how mindful meditation can help those suffering from depression and/or anxiety. Stay strong!!

pocketvenus wrote:
....I was trapped in a very negative work environment. Actually, I discovered BT around that time... I had a supervisor who repeatedly lied to me about my hours/income and took every chance she could to remind me of my supposed incompetence and how expendable I was. I stayed there b/c I needed to pay the bills and I started checking in here at work. Normally, I never slack off like that, but it made the day a bit brighter!

I've worked in a series of different environments but never one that toxic. But we spend so much of our day at work with people who don't really care about us as people (as opposed to employees) that even the smallest bit of negativity can really effect us in destructive ways. I'm glad you found a way to deal with the stress and recognize that no matter how bad the situation, you alone have the control over the way you choose to react. I'm glad you found BT and that it helped you get through those terrible days!

@pocketvenus:  I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through such a horrible experience like that at work Smiley Sad, but I'm glad to know that you found a positive way to deal with the stress.  Very inspiring! Smiley Happy

@katimae:  Hope your housemate is behaving himself. Smiley Happy

I've had a rough couple of days (whine, complain).  My depression has worsened so I went to the doctor today.  Plus I'm in soooo much pain with my shoulder right now that I could just scream!  I went to the doctor almost a month ago about it and got a cortisone shot in it, but it didn't help at all.  I'm going for an MRI later this week so hopefully the doctor will figure out what's wrong with it so he can fix it.  I could go on and on, but I hate to be Ms. Complainer so I'll stop here.  Thanks for listening...it actually helps to just say it (or type it) to somebody. Smiley Happy

@pocketvenus: I will seek out your book, it sounds fabulous!

@tenngal: Sorry to hear that you are feeling so poorly. Hope that the Dr's can fix you up. Maybe someone will get you some new nail polish in coral to cheer you up! *Sending virtual polish in a cute Sephora bag*

Thank you everyone for your kind words! That was definitely the worst work environment I've experienced but it taught me to truly appreciate places where everyone respects and supports each other. I'm very happy at my new job - the only downside is no more BT at work Smiley Tongue

On the topic of helpful books, I've always liked Sylvia Plath's poetry. She battled bouts of depression at times but there is something powerful and aggressive about her writing that... well I wouldn't say it cheers you up... more like, giving you inner resolve?

@tenngal Oh dear, I hope your shoulder improves!

@Pocketvenus  Sylvia Plath is my favorite!  Too bad she stuck her head in an oven. So oppressed by men!  Well not here, and not by the men around these Sephora women!!!

I had my ECT yesterday.They have to give me a lot of Dilodid for them because they give me the most sever migraines imaginable.  Which means all last night I was walking into walls and  stuff.  Today I'm still very stiff and sore from the procedure but I do not have any headache at all.  But  I am all emotional today like always. I know it's good for me but I'll tell you for the first few days it sucks.  I'm so emotional.  My roommate usually hangs with me but he had to work all night so he's sleeping now.  I just hate being alone through this stuff.  Actually, I had to write this pretty slow so I have someone on I can all now; I think that's what I'll do.  Thanks again for listening.

@katimae-  Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly, but good that you didn't get a headache on top of it all. But something to look forward to, you are next up for TSB3 and it sounds just awesome!

@katimae:  I've been away from Beauty Talk since Thursday night, and this is early Sunday morning so I'm just now seeing your post.  I had an MRI done on my shoulder early Friday morning and the position they had me stuck in for the 45+ minutes I was in the machine left me in so much pain that I haven't been able to type or anything until now I am finally feeling well enough to type and get caught up a bit on all I've been missing.  I'm so sorry to hear that you've been feeling out of sorts.  At least you didn't get a headache on top of it though.  I hope you're beginning to feel better now.  Be sure to post and keep us updated on how you're doing.  I do care and if you ever need to send me a PM just to talk, please feel free to.  Please feel better soon...Smiley Happy

@katimae I hope you recover from the procedure quickly! @tenngal Glad you are typing again Smiley Happy

@katimae: How are you feeling today? Thinking of you.... {hugs}

Hey guys, first thanks everyone for all your well wishes.  It's been rough.  Tomorrow should be much better.  Yesterday was really bad, today is so-so.  But between my friends and my parents they never leave me alone.  I'm being babysat (lol). I can tell right now my mom's edging to go home but she won't go til my Dad comes down.  They think I don't know. It's all love Smiley Very Happy  

I don't know where I'd be without them and my friends -online and offline.

@katimae:  I'm glad that you're beginning to feel better and it's good to know that you are surrounded by family and friends.  Hopefully the roughest part of the procedure is over.  I'm glad you're feeling a little better and I hope you'll feel all the way back to normal real soon!!! Smiley Happy

@katimae: I'm glad you have a great support system and that you are starting to feel better! BTW, I sent out the TSB to you yesterday, so you should have it by tomorrow!!!!! That should help, I hope! Smiley Very Happy

@ tenngal: I am so sorry to hear that you've been in so much pain. Smiley Sad  I've heard that the scraping the shoulder out thing can be painful at first, but that over time it helps. I am trusting that it will help in your case!!!

I'll be sending angels and positive thoughts to both of you gals!!!!

For myself I've been very up and down. My hubby and I are talking about getting pregnant again and it makes me very, very nervous becasue of our repeat scary miscarriages and losing the baby at 6 months last year. I want it so badly, but I also don't want to be a nervous wreck waiting for the other shoe to drop! Thanks for listening! ( or reading!).

Mermade:  Thanks so much.  And you are part of that support system!  I can only image what you must be going through trying to make the decision of whether to go through and then actually going through another pregnancy. I have very different spiritual beliefs than most people, but what I do believe is that you should pray on it and your higher power (whom I chose to call God) will show you the answer.  I will pray for you to find the right answer.  I never had any children and I regret that, it was mostly because of my mental illness.  It makes me sad but it just wasn't in the plan and I had two beautiful step-daughters for 6 years that I raised.  Didn't have deal with diapers or the angst of the teenage years.  LOL

Have a great day everyone!

163 Replies
Conversation Stats