Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Getting Personal

I just wanted to tell you guys how much you help me out.  I suffer from EXTREME Depressive Disorder. I'm actually on Disability for it even though I was able to get a Degree with a Concentration and 2 Minors at NCState and work till I was 30.  This board has helped me to interact with other people instead of going into myself. It''s gotten me to get up, get dressed, AND put makeup on Smiley Wink, and laugh (really hard).  I even got to do something for someone else with TSB and went out to the Post Office twice that day (my parents were in shock I think Smiley Happy  So I just wanted to thank you so much for just being apart of this board because if you wern't on it, it wouldn't be the same!

Re: Getting Personal

@tenngal Oh, I hope your surgery goes well and that your pain improves after the recovery!

Wow, I can only imagine how much pain you are in because I had a bad knee injury and probably will have to get knee surgery one of these days.  I hope after your surgery you are feeling better and that it improves the pain. Sorry to hear this! I wish you best of luck and a safe surgery and a great vacation!

@tenngal & empathize & memadalove- I haven't checked beauty talk in a while.  I'm sorry for all of the pain you guys are going through.  I can empathise.   I had surgery to reconstruct my ankle last October.  I'm still not completely healed and it's throwing off everything else where my back, knees, hips hurt.   This getting old stuff stinks.  I will pray hard for you all and hope for some relief.

@lashreece:  Sorry to hear that you are in pain, too, sweetie.  You're right, it gets very tiresome and it stinks!  Glad that you're on the mend and I'll be praying for you, too.
Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to all of you who have read and responded about my recent shoulder complaint.  You all are so wonderful to listen to my complaints and send back kind words in return, which gives me encouragement.  You, my fellow Beauty Talkers, definitely know how to brighten up my day!  Thanks, again!
Smiley Happy

@lashreece: I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle! I'm sending you healing energy right now!!! Thanks for your well wishes. Thanks, actually to all the lovelies who are always here sharing love and support. You all rock!

@tenngal: you're just getting back all the support you put out to the people here on BT!

<3

OK!!! FREAKING OUT!!!  I'm going to Antigua with roommate Bob!!!  To the most romantic hotel there.  I can't believe it.  What am I thinking?  What is he thinking?  You have to wear a dress to dinner. I don't think I have that many beachy dresses (sorry, my "e" isn't working well.) And I don't want to take a lot of clothes and make up.  Oh God what do I pack? I can't spend a dime now because all my money has to go to paying for the trip and any extra goes to spending money while I'm there. I mean I'm still hippy enough that all the dresses I do have are island-y.  But oh my gosh, I can't believe the whole thing.   He and I are still just friends. I don't know what to think.

Oh how exciting. 

The best thing about beach retreats is that a lot of places do not expect the overload of makeup or the most fancy dresses.  Some even provide a sports jacket for men (who forgot to bring their own) to borrow while they are on site (usually inside a restaurant).  Just a nice beach dress and either a nice pair of sandals or pumps works.  You can always play up a simple beach dress with a lightweight material scarf and/or jewelry pieces. 

If you have any small containers for makeup (similar to the sample sizes given at Sephora), put things such as foundation and eye makeup into those.  That way for that particular special events, you will have enough for those and will not be heartbroken in the event you forget it at the hotel. 

Take your favorite mascara (or one of those gift ones if you are not too picky), eyeliner, and one item that can be used as a multipurpose item (in my case it was a NARS multiple).  If you are picky about eye shadow application, then a small travel makeup brush (if not too picky, Q-tips are good in a pinch).  Great accessories are a pair of sunglasses and/or foldable hat.  The rest of it should probably lean more towards skincare and skin protection items.  Enjoy the time there more than worrying about the way you look. If you are having fun, nobody notices the makeup issue.

It is also totally optional if you want to bring your own bath items (shampoo, body wash, etc).  But if this hotel has a good reputation for excellent spa items in the rooms, no worries then. 

Here another option (but a bit pricey):  If you do plan on doing a spa treatment prior to dinner, they might offer make up services/lessons that you can add on (The ones I've seen range usually from 50 USD and up though).  This is good if you only need it for one event and really do not want to even pack sample sizes. 

As far as dresses go, I bought mine from Victoria's Secret (they tend to run big in sizes despite measuring) about a few weeks before going.  This might also be a good time to find beach dress sales from a lot of places.  Although I did find lots of cute and inexpensive dresses onsite and in the touristy-trap areas.  Might even find a good deal in a small boutique shop near your hotel. 

Have a great time Katimae. 

Try TJ MAxx and Marshall's for dresses. They have great maxi dresses which are very flattering, at really good prices.

HAVE FUN AT THE BEACH! I'm totally jealous.

BTW......maybe you will be MORE than friends after this-- people who are just friends don't usually go on romantic getaways Smiley Wink

Smiley Very Happy

Oh, katimae, I'm so excited for you!!!  This beach vacation is the perfect atmosphere for the possibility of your relationship turning into more than friendship.  And if it doesn't turn romantic, then it's still great because you'll still be having a super vacation with your very close friend!  As far as beachy dresses go, I'll bet your closet has a lot of hippy-looking clothes still hanging there (like mine does, ha ha) that'll be perfect for the beach.  If you feel like you need to pick up a few new things anyway, then I think mermadelove is right on about T.J.Maxx or sometimes you can get lucky at a consignment shop and find some really cute things.  Gosh, I'm just so excited for you!

Smiley Happy

Have fun on your trip!! I love ran8 suggestion with the multiple (I recently "discover" it, and I'm in love!!)

Well, the Antigua trip is not happening (yet.)  He doesn't have the money and doesn't want to owe it to me.  But he has a big old check coming to him from the Vet's Admin. and when he gets that he says we're going.  He is supposed to get it in 4-6 weeks but it's been in the works for a couple of years so who knows?

Latest news is I was going down some steps into a basement on Sunday and I fell. Really fell.  It took a while for anyone to find me. And I couldn't get up.  I was pounding on the basement door but no one could hear me.  Finally this like 20 y.o. kid heard me and came out and was just like OMG! & what do I do? lol  poor thing.  He asked me if I wanted help sitting up and I said I don't think I can yet. After I got my wits about me he helped me sit up on the steps. I knew for the most part I was ok.  But I did hear three separate crunches in my ankle on the way down and it hurt!!!  So he got me up and there were more steps right inside the door but at least these aren't crumbling cement.  I got down and then more people started coming and Bob's best friend Mike came and started to try to get a hold of Bob (cause that's all I kept asking for.) Finally I called my parents and three BIG guys got me out to the car and we went to the ER.  After three hours I found out it was only a bad sprain and they put it in a brace (I already had crutches from when I broke my leg.)  I asked the dr. what the crunching sound was while I was falling and he said it was just a bunch of my tendons breaking!  So I'm on crutches again.  and yes it is like riding a bike, it comes right back to you.  And I'm in terrible pain and they offered me Advil. I can't even  take friggin Advil.  That's my weekend story.

OUCH!  Just a bunch of tendons breaking?  Way to make someone feel better.  That's *never* a good thing if tendons are breaking.  I hope that ankle starts feeling better soon!  Maybe you could call your doctor and see if they could write you a prescription for a painkiller you can take?  I can't take vicodin and when I was in the hospital last year, what did they try to give me?  Vicodin.  I had to tell them I can't take that, get percocet.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately on the subject of children (some of you may remember I lost my daughter Alyssa six weeks after she was born due to congenital myotonic dystrophy).  I know I have it and it's going to be a 50/50 chance that I would pass it on again to another child.  They can do genetic testing on the fetus at 10-13 weeks and we can do a medical termination if they are determined to have it.  (Anyone that does not like this idea, I do not want to hear it, as it is a hard enough decision to begin with). 

Honestly, although Danny and I are trying for another baby right now, I'm scared.  Scared of any miscarriages that may happen, potential D&Cs I might have to have, etc.  We already went through more than enough pain to last a lifetime when Alyssa passed away at the end of December.  I tentatively broached the subject of adoption to Danny a couple of days ago, which he would like to not have to do.  Neither would I.  But it's something we should probably talk about and be prepared for in case.  Honestly, I really don't want to go through God knows what so many times.  At some point if we don't have a normal healthy child, at some point in future I know I will say I don't want to go through that kind of thing any more.

This has just been swirling around in my head for a while and I needed to get it out.  I'm so glad we have this thread right now.

I'm sorry to hear that, katimae. That really sucks! First you don't get to go on your trip, then you get hurt. Hopefully you're able to entertain yourself while you're laid up.

@waterbaby1981, that's a very tough thing to have to deal with. I really hope things work out for you.

@waterbaby-  I wish you all the best in being able to have another child. But if you can't or the agony of all the testing and such is too much, I agree that it would be nice to adopt. So many of my friends have adopted children (mostly due to having infertility problems) and they are all over the moon about their children. A family is a family, no matter how it comes about.

I will keep you in my thoughts.

@katimae-  Oh you poor little thing!  To have to postpone your vacation and then have an accident! Sounds like a crummy weekend. I hope by now that the pain is somewhat lessened, I agree that your doctor should give you something better than Advil for a sprain of that intensity.

At least if your friend's check arrives within 4-6 weeks, you should be off your crutches! And swimming is supposed to be great therapy for sprains and breaks. I would think swimming in that lovely tropical water would be sooooo nice. 

I just heard a crunch too! o wait! that was my heart breaking in half!! you poor thing! get better soon and good luck with your possible trip!

@waterbaby:  I'm adopted.  I say that I was born in the wrong place and the powers that be picked me up and dropped me off in the perfect family.  If you want to hear the detailed story just PM me, I don't mind telling it at all.  But it was honestly the best thing that ever happened to me.  I really feel I ended up right where I was suppose to be.  Adopting a child is a beautiful gift to both the child and to yourselves. I am speaking from experience.

@katimae: what a beautiful way to say it!!! By the way, I feel your pain with your crutches!! I hope you get better soon!!

@waterbaby: I don't have a boyfriend, so I'm not ready to have kids, so I don't understand 100% what you are going through. But my brother and my sister-in-law were having some trouble getting pregnant. She had 3 miscarriages before finally getting there. She's 6 months pregnant, and last week she was having contractions, so the doctor got her to stay in bed for the rest of the week. Anyway, all that to say that my thoughts are with you!

@katiemae: Sorry to hear about those tendons! As far as I know, that can tend to hurt alot more than a broken fill-in-the-blank!!! I hope they gave you pain pills! And I'm visualizing you on the beach WITHOUT your crutches in the future!!!

@waterbaby1981: I TOTALLY relate to your story. I've had a total of 3 miscarriages and one fetal demise ( Our daughter died at 6 months gestation and I had to deliver her naturally). We've gone back and forth about trying again and/or adoption and I can tell you that the amoount of stress we've been under because of other issues in our lives has made it an interesting journey. At first I would say that I was obsessively focused on making it happen-- like Ihad to "make up " for losing all of those other babies. Then I went to the opposite extreme and couldn't even think about going through the whole thing again. NOw we are thinkiong about all of it again. Don't push yourself. Do it when you are ready.

@katimae:  I'm SO sorry to hear about your fall, and I'm sorry you're in such pain.  On the bright side, thank God you didn't get a head injury or something worse.  Try to rest, keep ice on it to keep swelling down and hopefully it'll start feeling better soon.  I'll send positive thoughts and energy your way for a speedy recovery so when it comes time for your beach vacation you'll be healed and ready to have fun!  Again, I'm sorry you had this accident and I wish you a very quick recovery!!!
Smiley Happy 

19 Replies
Conversation Stats