Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Fitness Routines & Tips ๐Ÿ’ช

One of the best beauty tips I have is to exercise regularly ๐Ÿ™‚ But sometimes it can take a lot of experimentation to figure out what works best for your body and lifestyle. What does your fitness routine look like and what do you do to meet your fitness goals? I would love to hear all about it ๐Ÿ™‚

I exercise 4-6 times/week but because I started traveling so much, I haven't had a gym membership in years. This major lifestyle change meant switching over to YouTube workouts that don't require much in the way of equipment. I'm not as strict about targeting muscle groups - I just try not to get unbalanced and I don't focus on the same muscle group two days in a row.

Every week I do:

• At least two high intensity interval workouts, 15-20 min. I really prefer three and am pretty good with this 80% of the time, but sometimes if I have too many meetings/social outings after work, the third HIIT is the first to go. My favourite channel for this is Bodyrock TV
  • Mondays I always do lighter cardio + pilates based workout because I'm usually more tired on the first day of work, 20-30 min. I try to do these pilates based workouts 2x/week. I like Blogilates - the great thing about this channel is that you can see how insanely strong and fit the instructor is but she isn't cut like a fitness model! For most people, it is not realistic to be super ripped and have minimal body fat.
  • If I have time, I'll do one yoga workout, 30-90 min. Usually I just make up my own sequences, depending on how I feel. I do one studio class each month, either hot yoga or a teacher who I know will push me - not necessarily in a hard way, but rather to get my body to do something new

TIPS

• I keep a journal of the workouts I do to keep track. I also always schedule my workouts otherwise, I know I'll get caught up in my other responsibilities and this will be neglected. Putting them in my agenda pressures me to make time and commit
  • I do the same exercises until I can complete them with ease and then change to a different exercise targeting the same muscle. These keeps your muscles challenged and it's also way less boring
  • I have watched soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many YouTube workouts. I made playlists of the different types (HIIT, pilates, cardio, yoga). Sometimes videos are quite short but these means you can use them as building blocks to make a total workout tailored to your needs. You have to be a careful browser - sometimes teachers can do exercises that could hurt you if you're not strong enough to hold the form or some people have terrible form, etc.

Re: Fitness Routines & Tips ๐Ÿ’ช

Thanks to your health tips!

I have been able to actively participate in paintball games. Therefore, if you become a professional paintball player, it's important to know the <a href="https://paintballmaskusa.com/why-is-paintball-so-expensive/">paintball one-time cost for beginners</a>.

@pocketvenus This is a nice thread you started!  And I'm happy to see all the encouraging words from other BICers.  I really want to get in shape.  I'm thin but not fit, and there's definitely a difference.  I was doing some very beginner yoga at the end of 2017 and finally was making some progress, but then I had to go see a family member in the hospital (full recovery, btw!) and I got out of it.  I really want to get back into it, but I've been putting it off b/c I will have to start all over.  I'm hoping this thread will give me some motivation.  ๐Ÿ™‚

@greeneyedgirl107
I'm sorry to hear that you and your family have had a personal battle. I'm grateful that things are better. 

It's okay that you had to let yoga for a bit. Life ebbs and flows in waves. There is no beginning or ending to fitness, be it mind, body or spirit. It's all a journey.

When I'm working with clients, the biggest obstacle I see is the mind. The body wants to be well. It's the obstacles in our mind that prevent us from moving forward and seeking our goals. It's okay to start over. As I said, there is no beginning or end, it's just the journey. I am 100% positive that you'll do it again, when you're ready. If you had already started before, it's within you to do it again.

After all, you deserve wellness! We all do. โค๏ธ

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such heart-felt words to me, @MistBerry!  They are most appreciated, and very wise!

@greeneyedgirl107. So glad to hear that your Dad is much improved!! Yoga is so good for mind, body and spirit! I found it helped me to breathe right and to keep flexibility! So glad you're getting back into it!! Enjoy!๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ’—

Thank you so much for following up with me about my Dad, @yankeefaithful!  

And yes, the breathing aspect of yoga is amazing!!!  I often use it at night when Ih ave trouble sleeping.

I think today I'm going to lift some (very light) weights.  And I also bought some nice healthy food at Trader Joe's today.  I don't eat unhealthy per se, but when I want a little snack I want to start reaching for produce instead of chocolate or mini muffins!

I'm glad your family member is doing better @greeneyedgirl107! Yoga is an excellent practice to start again with! One of the great things about it is you can do it almost anywhere ๐Ÿ™‚ I like to do a few cat/cow stretches in the morning in the kitchen while I wait for the kettle to boil.

yougotthis

Thanks so much for your kindness and motivating words, @pocketvenus!

Image result for yoga cat gif

LOL anytime! ๐Ÿ˜„

Love this! 

After graduating college, I discovered group fitness classes via Groupon. I ended up doing pure barre about 6x a week for 3 years! I love the community and accountability that comes with group fitness - I donโ€™t think I could go back to solo work outs. Due to changing jobs, I moved away from my PB studio. 

About a year ago, I found a local fitness studio that has spin and a HIIT workout and I honestly have never been in better shape. The HIIT is all body weight, no weights or equipment is used and thereโ€™s a mix of jumping/burpees with slow burn yoga/Pilates. Spin is spin, which sometimes my body craves and sometimes hates (bleh cardio).

So, TL;DR, I typically do 1 or 2 spin classes and 4 or 5 HIIT classes each week. Sunday is rest day ๐Ÿ™‚

I have realized that constant workouts each evening are necessary for my self care and mental health. I often feel myself unwinding during class and shedding anything unnecessary. 

Agreed, @scott1201!
I find any sort of activity highly therapeutic. For the mind and body!

I feel the same way @scott1201 - regular exercise definitely lifts my mood. All those endorphins!

@pocketvenus thank you so much for talking about your workout regimen. I literally just screenshotted what you said so I can mimic your workout/use it as a launch pad. You're a rockstar!

I'm so clueless when it comes to working out so I'm so grateful you made this thread! I have a tendency to injure myself because I overdo it and am honestly lost on how to continuously challenge my body since I noticed my results plateau within a couple of weeks. Plus, already having several body injuries really discourages me from staying fit...that needs to change!

One of my favorite group fitness instructors always says, โ€œthis is practice, youโ€™re always getting better by being here.โ€ I think thatโ€™s true - itโ€™s really helped my brain to think of each workout as a practice and not the โ€œendโ€ or โ€œgoalโ€ @pinyo

@scott1201
I had just written something similar then just saw this comment.

Completely agree with your instructor! It's also one of my strong viewpoints. It's all a journey - all of life, including fitness.

@pinyo
It's okay to start gently. You're building strength no matter what you do. 

Start where you are. Be gentle. Build strength. And know you're doing something very good for yourself. โค๏ธ

You're so welcome @pinyo! I'm so glad this thread has helped ๐Ÿ™‚ Yeah, I like to switch instructors and change it up when things start to feel too easy.

I would just say, with injuries, please be super careful with HIIT because it is so high impact. It took me months to build up enough strength to do the BodyRock workouts and there are still some exercises I can't do safely so I modify them โค๏ธ

Nice thread @pocketvenus!

I am a fitness/health coach for a living, so this is up my alley!

My workouts depend on my clients sometimes, though for my own fun/workout, I take a couple different dance classes and do yoga M-F. I usually do HIIT with my clients and weights if they are assigned them. 

Exercise gets the blood flowing which is good for your skin. Also maintaining a good diet helps as well. Not to mention all the good health benefits.

One thing I try to teach my clients is that it's never about punishment, example I see often: if you have that piece of cake then you have to workout extra. You take care of yourself because you love yourself. Your body does so much for you, without you asking or often even knowing about it. No matter how imperfect you might think it is, it's one of the most sophisticated, perfect systems ever designed. It's okay to love it. And part of loving it is to take care of it, with exercise but also a good eating plan, and allowing yourself an indulgence without guilt once in a while. 

Thanks for sharing @MistBerry! Working your body's circulation is definitely a major benefit. Exercise also made a huge difference in helping me sleep better, which I suspect has been good for my skin.

And I agree that workouts are not punishment! Or even a chore. I think it's worth exploring different types of routines to find one that works for your body and feels good, even when you push yourself. (Otherwise, it'll be too difficult to stick with in the long term.) And yes, it's always important to be grateful for our bodies -- there is no such thing as perfect health and it is enough of a gift to be alive.

@pocketvenus
YES! โค๏ธ

27 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 122 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos1
  • yougotthis
testing