Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Favorite movie scenes about makeup!

A fun question from a few days ago regarding favorite makeup tips got me thinking about movies that truly helped me figure out how I wanted to portray myself to the rest of the world. I can cite two specific movie scenes that taught me more than any magazine ever could:

Ferris Beuller's Day Off: the police station scene where Charlie Sheen's character advises Jennifer Grey's character on her eye makeup and what people thought of his own sister's makeup look.

The Breakfast Club: Emilio Estevez's reaction to Ally Sheedy's makeover, or rather makeunder,

What are some of your favorite movies that gave you ideas about makeup or inspired you to try out a certain look? Maybe I'll find some good movies to watch this weekend!

Re: Favorite movie scenes about makeup!

I love the movie Dog Fight, with river phoenix and Lilli Taylor, there is scene with her rushing to go to the party with river, and throws on her blue eye shadow in a hurry. Good movie.

This is a co0ol topic!!

She's All That taught me how to do my eyebrows LOL! 

The best eyebrows ever, were in Moulin Rouge....The lead character's eyebrows extended out a little further than normal, and consequently totally made her eyes look exotic and her cheekbones to look sculpted.

YESSS! Thank you! I'm so glad I wasn't the only person that noticed this and loved it when watching the movie!

I think I was told she also wore a wig because of her hair color and her curls? Not saying you can't achieve that look with natural hair I just think they wanted to use a wig instead. 

I know her hair was quiet long in a couple of scenes/musical numbers, like the last one in the wedding gown, he hair is practically down her butt. On top of that styling and maintaining a hair style on set for hours might not have been efficient so pre-styled wigs that stay looking the same would cut down on touch ups.

Either way, I looooved the looks in that film, drooling!

I always remember the scene from "Friends with Money" and Jennifer Aniston was trying to get an extra sample/free gift from the Lancome counter and runs all over the malls trying to get more samples! haha

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

I've never seen that, but I suddenly want to now, just for that scene, haha. Smiley Tongue

Baz Luhrmann is a genius.

Baz Luhrmann did the same thing with Carey Mulligan's brows in The Great Gatsby too! He must have a thing for extended brows.

This movie made me so happy, 13 going on 30! its funny, she wakes up as a 30 year old, and has to get ready and ends up putting a ridiculous amount of mismatching makeup on, i was cracking up. 

but yes the eyebrows in moulin rouge are fantastic!

Miss Congeniality was hilarious and though it wasn't stellar on make up tips (aside from Michael Caine saying funny quips like "Eyebrows, there should be two!"), it was a great movie that showcased a transformation not just in looks but in Sandra Bullock's character and how she viewed the pageant girls.

There was also some great motivational lines from Michael Caine! Smiley Tongue

Omg @lylysa!! Your post always have me cracking up!! Miss congeniality is one of my favorite movies!!! And that part always is soooo funny!

I can quote that movie for days! I loved when the last actual pageant went on and I can't remember what state she's from (the gal that said we "needed to create better education"), was put on blast and sites launched numerous "Bad/awkward answers form pageant" stories and included the scene from MC where Miss Rhode Island was describing the perfect date! Hahaha!

I really do want World Peace!!!!! >(8D) 

Bahaha!

I always remember Cher in Moonstruck. The scene where she walks down the stairs at the opera after being transformed into this gorgeous woman was great. Her makeup was so amazing; I still remember it after all these years!

Oh Moonstruck is one of my all-time favorite movies. I didn't hurt that Nicky Cage was in it, either!

I actually went out and bought the lip color she's wearing. i remember it wasn't a lipstick but a powder "stain" that came in a compact  like a single eye shadow. I wish I could remember who put it out. It may have been Chanel, I'm not sure but I do remember I bought it at Macy's. It was supposed to be the next big thing in lip color and anyone who saw Cher in the movie wanted it, but I don't think it was very comfortable to wear if I remember correctly.

Oh most definitely! I love Cher's look: hair, eyebrows, lipstick, so 80's glam!

Most likely off the intended topic, but they did a great job on this. Smiley Happy

Actually, it fits the idea of makeup looks we all wanted t try. Who hasn't done the ghoul look and started doing the Thriller dance at a Halloween party?

You're right and Thriller makeup was awesome!  Halloween is my most favorite time to pull out the stops with makeup.  When my son was 8 or 9, he wanted to be Gene Simmons from KISS one year.  I got him a cheap black wig and pulled it back with a rubber band.  He let me painstakingly paint his face black and white.  Then we put red food coloring on his tongue.  Poor kid!  Nobody knew who he was unless we went to the door with him!  He wore some black high heeled boots that came up to his knees that we borrowed from an older girl.  He could barely walk but he would not take them off!  He also let me do werewolf makeup the next year. 

It's not a movie, but the makeup in Cats was amazing!

Faye Dunaway killed it in her depiction of Joan Crawford...and kudos need to go to the makeup artist, too! This scene in Mommie Dearest just screams crazy in a hundred different ways.

And we can't forget the "normal" makeup. Smiley Wink

32 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos13
  • swfupload_5743890184168519701.jpg
  • swfupload_8866045943133896278.jpg
  • swfupload_7011246814950856026.jpg
  • swfupload_3661066812938754847.gif
  • swfupload_4484616046359513426.gif
  • swfupload_3110529234415554139.gif
  • cher-in-moonstruck.jpg
  • mjthriller.jpg