Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Epic Fails - Products or Techniques?

A while back I posted a thread about products or techniques that have changed your makeup, skincare or hair care.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Products-and-or-Techniques-that-Changed-Your-Makeup-Skinca...

On weekends I like to try new things, either products or techniques. Today in particular I had numerous epic fails. From one of my shadows shattering in the case (new, too, ugh) to a new BB cream providing zero coverage and actually turning my face red, to the second time this week cascading glitter all over my face from my eye shadow!! LOL I had to use makeup remover to take some stuff off it was so bad.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same. I do like to change things up, but it doesn't always mean success. Smiley Happy

Re: Epic Fails - Products or Techniques?

ST.Tropez gradual self tanner.......

-did not get the orange oompa loompa however I did get contact dermatitis everywhere I put it especially behind my knees, my chest and inside of my arms. I will stick to Vita Liberita from now on. I heard such awesome things on St.T, but for me sadly this did not work..yep...EPIC FAIL 

I have to chime in and agree on the OCC lip tars. Everybody raves about them but I find them sticky and high maintenance. I absolutely cannot wear them without a lip liner and even then I have to constantly check that they haven't migrated onto my face. I just find them stressful and I can't trust them to stay where they should. Who needs that in their cosmetics? Lots of people have luck with them and rave about them but they just don't work well for me. 

They definitely are temperamental!  For me, I can't have anything else on my lips AT ALL.  No primer, no lip conditioner, nada!  I DO use a clear lip liner as a precaution against bleeding, but I have to put it outside the lip line.  AND, I have to use the most microscopic amount ever WITH a lip brush.  These were designed (as I understand it) for professional makeup artists doing photo shoots, so I'm not sure how useful they are to us "normal" ladies.  

All that being said, when I get it right, they do stay on longer than any other product I have tried, and I love mixing my own colors.  

ShinyMagpie thanks for that input. I don't care for stressful makeup either. I am considering trying these but maybe I'll wait on that.

You may still like them lots of people do. Don't let me stop you from trying them. Maybe try it in store or something before actually buying one. 

I had another epic fail today!  Thought I liked one of my perfume samples so I put a small amount on my wrists this morning.  Ewwwww, the smell is subtle but making me sick.  I spray something to test it a few days ago and thought it passed the test, but I'm throwing it out as soon as possible.  Ick!!

What was it?

SHISEIDO Bio-Performance Advanced Super Restoring Cream most epic moisturizer fail ever.  Totally broke me out three separate times.  I kept giving it a shot, thinking it was stress or something else giving me breakouts.  But, alas, no.  It was this product.

Which perfume  didn't you like Syd?

I was sampling Marchesa, but we also switched hand soap so now I'm not sure which was affecting me.  I'll keep using the soap, if that doesn't bother me I shall assume it was the perfume. Smiley Happy

Hourglass mineral foundation (I forget which one) caused me to break out in hives and I had a face rash for nearly a week. Super great part? I had requested the SA helping me test it on my arm because I know my skin is sensitive and she said "this is great for sensitive skin" as she touched my face with it, I should have swatted her hand away but I didn't want to be rude. 

I know everyone else loves them but I had a devil of a time getting any kind of color or line out of MUFE's Aqua Liner for Eyes. 

MUFE's Rouge Artist Intense lipstick, similarly, caused a migraine of epic proportions due to the floral scent. 

In 2011 I bought a Stila eye shadow palette because they had the green/tan combination I wanted and the fallout was awful - all over my face, all day long. I've never really had trouble with eye shadow fallout, even from the cheapest shadows, 

MAC Lip Mix separated out, even in the smallest amount, from any lipstick (all MAC) that I used it with and feathered out on my face. I've avoided the OCC lip tars because I was afraid they'd do this, too, and I see a few other folks down-thread have said basically the same thing about them. 

I was bridesmaid recently and I wore my hair up because I thought it would look elegant with a backless dress. I sprayed my hair with tresemme tres 2 extra hold hairspray and DISASTER - my back broke out with these horrendous red hives Smiley Sad Thank god my friend who was also bridesmaid is my size, so we switched dresses so my back could be covered. But that was definitely an epic fail and an epic disappointment!

I have short, straight lashes, and I didn't know you could apply more than one coat of mascara! LOL No wonder I was so unsatisfied with my lashes and mascaras! 

When I started to apply 2, I was so amazed, and felt so stupid!

Don't! Smiley Happy I don't even know how to apply two coats...do you wait for it to dry? 

With the exception of Maybelline mascaras, yes I let it dry or else it will clump. Try it! Just act like you didnt put a coat beforehand.  You'll be so amazed!

Thanks!!

I usually apply one coat of mascara, then comb through my lashes with a metal comb (just have to be careful not to poke your eyes!) and then immediately apply a second coat. I have found that if I wait too long between coats, then I get flaking. 

I'm allergic to soybean oil, avocado oil, and aspartame and fake sweeteners, among other things. Which means that I'm allergic to a TON of lipsticks.

Found this out the hard way after using a sample of UD's Revolution Lipstick. Made my whole mouth itchy. Smiley Sad I can't use Fresh products due to the avocado oil, or Smashbox's lipstick (soybean oil), or Bite Beauty (because of the fake sweeteners in them). I have to be very diligent in checking ingredients.

I tried Stila's liquid eyeliner and it made my eyes burn and gave me raccoon eyes. Never doing that again.

Too Faced's eyelid primer creased my eye makeup in ways UD never has. 

I've also tried a few Sephora brand lip products that dried out my lips so badly that it would take a few days of TLC to get them back to normal again.

I have similar problems - my kid has an anaphylactic soy allergy (that means a hospital trip every time,) I have a gluten allergy, avocado oil (latex-related,) a couple of the more popular chemical sunscreens (I stick with zinc oxide products,) aspartame/saccharine/a few others - lipstick is hard to find sometimes! I hope you find a good lip product for you. (This is why I stick with MAC lipsticks, despite them sometimes having -cones.) 

You poor thing! That's a lot of allergies, urbandecaybabe! Thankfully I'm not allergic to any ingredients in cosmetics, at least none that I'm aware of. I do agree the Too Faced eyelid primer was just terrible for me. We live, we learn. Good luck finding products that work well for you!

Highlighted

Self tanner. Doesn't matter what brand, high end or drugstore. It always looks fake and orangey or streaky no matter what technique I try when applying. I have just given up. I was meant to be pale.

I highly recommend promo code VLTAN. It works! I used it last night and the foam dries super duper fast, NO STREAKS ANYWHERE. 

This is wonderful, the deal is not to get too dark a color for your skin. If you are fair use the Light/ medium - if you are already have color and want to add then go dark, otherwise you will still look orange, but this doesn't streak and fades beautifully. I did buy the full size because I like it so much. I use the face one too in the winter so that I don't have to change my foundation color...lol

Self tanner...I agree...never works!  My epic fail that I'll NEVER forget is greenish-gray hair!  I colored my hair purple and I loved it; but apparently n one else did and I was told I had to change it!  So I tried to go back to a "normal" color--which somehow turned out greenish gray and gross...now I know to strip before attempting to re-color!  I still love my purple (and pink!) hair...just in smaller doses!

Self tanner...I agree...never works!  My epic fail that I'll NEVER forget is greenish-gray hair!  I colored my hair purple and I loved it; but apparently n one else did and I was told I had to change it!  So I tried to go back to a "normal" color--which somehow turned out greenish gray and gross...now I know to strip before attempting to re-color!  I still love my purple (and pink!) hair...just in smaller doses!

Oh...and proactive...my entire face peeled!  I couldn't go anywhere for a week...it was gross.  It looked like I had some terrible disease with my skin just peeling in huge chunks...gross!!!

2 Replies
Conversation Stats