Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Does a scent deter you from using it?

Just something I'm noticing lately from reading post. But does a scent really make you not use a product. I understand if the fragrance irritates you, but just in general if you don't like the scent of something, do you not use it?

I personally have only come across one product that was too over whelming that made me not want to really use it but I just got over. It was the Ole Henrikson truth cream advance hydratIon. Smelled way too much of oranges and I really didn't like it. But I still use it. What's everyone's opinion?

Re: Does a scent deter you from using it?

I think it depends on when I'm going to use the product. I mind a whole lot less during the day than if I'm trying to sleep at night when all I can do is smell something gross on my face.

I splurged once on the Skinceuticals CE Ferulic treatment.  And it smells like hot dogs.  But I spent soooo much money on it (and it did do very nice things for my skin) that I stuck with it. I couldnt use it at night, but during the day when I was wearing other products and had other stuff to distract me I could deal. 

Ew hot dogs. I wouldn't want to smell it! Good idea though for during the day. I think my nose is less sensitive to smells though cause I can never smell things on my face after about 2 minutes. 

I do that also if it's a skin care product or cosmetics like a powder or something I can't stand the smell of something like that.  I definitely agree with you. The smell of some things just give me a headache especially if I smell them to long.

@nebel- I use that serum and it doesn't smell like hot dogs at all are you sure you didn't get a bad bottle or something?

No, I'm not entirely sure! It didn't smell *exactly* like hot dogs but for some reason that was all i could think of.  Smells can be funny to describe.  It was also several years ago (at least 5-6) so maybe they've reformulated?  I just remember it having this odd, strong odor that reminded me of.... hot dogs. lol

It depends how strong the smell is. a faint distasteful smell is no big deal but anything moderate to severe would probably make me stop using it unless it was a really amazing product.

Definetely.  If the smell is bad i'm not going to use it, because i'm going to be able to smell it all day.  And smelling an unpleasant smell for a long period of time can put you in a bad mood!

I think it also depends on how long the smell lasts.  I can most likely handle something strong or unpleasant if I know the smell will go away.

It depends on how strong it is.  Also what type of product.  It it lingers and I end up smelling it all day I will return it.  I bought the #74 brush from Sephora recently for contouring and it smelled a little funky when I first got it.  Like mothballs.  I cleaned it about 5 times before I used it.  The closet Sephora to me is 45 mins away so I couldn't do a quick return.  It doesn't smell anymore but if I think about it enough I can smell it right now ha!

Lol that's so weird it smelled like that.I got a laugh out of the last line of your comment!

From now on I'm going to take a wiff of all Sephora brushes before I buy them.  Great brushes but I'm not a fan of stinky ones!

The scent may stop me from repurchasing something if I really don't like it.  I just started using Josie Maran Argan Daily SPF 40 and the scent brings back memories of my mother trying to pour cough medicine down my throat as a child.  Needless to say, I won't be repurchasing.  I won't return it simply because it's so wasteful but it's not the best way to start the day!

Hmm I don't have a problem with that product. I like it a lot. It weird how things can smell so differently to people. 

@nebel- Yeah  that was a long time ago I didn't use it then but I'm glad it doesn't smell that way now.Smiley Happy

I love things that smell like oranges! But there is probably such a thing as too much, I like the green tea smell of Amore Pacific creams but the white tea of Origins A Perfect World products is too strong and I can't bear to put it all over my face. I got a deluxe sample of Bobbi Brown Hydrating Face Cream and I am trying to use it but I hate the smell so so so much, it smells like rancid oil and moldy seaweed.The only thing I have bought online and had to return is a Caudalie scrub, the Merlot one that was on sale a few months ago, it smelled like gasoline. I may be overly sensitive about the way my products smell though, haha.

Highlighted

I love the way oranges smell as well. The truth serum for instance is a wonderful citrus scent. But the cream! Wayyyy tooo much. I would have returned that scrub as well if it smelled like gasoline!!! How odd. 

I guess I haven't tried that particular one, maybe they went way overboard and I will hate it too! I tried the Origins Night-a-mins cream the other day and it smells like orange peels in a good way and I really liked the results from one night's use. I will have to get my hands on more than that one foil packet!

This may seem a bit gross/odd but Estee Lauder lip products smell like tobacco to me. At first I was turned off by the fragrance... but I kind of like it now and own a few products.... .....  ....   ..... stop judging me.

Spoiler

I know its random - maybe mine is a fluke but the Dior Skin Perfect Pore Refining Perfecting Moisturizer smells to me a bit like overripe banana. I don't exactly go for that. I have tried to get over it and ignore that smell because I like the actual product, but I definitely do not reach for it...oh well

i have to say yes, and not many scents bother me but the ones that do give me a headache.

Yes. I'm not very sensitive to fragrances, though I do have a L'oreal lipstick and a Lancome lipstick that have the same sickening perfumey scent I can't stand. Even though I like the shade the scent annoys me.

I was just about to comment on that Ole Henrikson cream too, while reading thread! I completely agree with you, it smelled kind of rotten to me and I just couldn't get past the scent to use it. Luckily, my friend liked it enough to take it off my hands.

Most of the time, the scent of a product won't keep me from using it, unless it smells a bit off or expired. 

Yes! It totally doesSmiley Sad Especially shampoos and conditioners. The product can be amazing and work well, but if I cant stand the smell I refuse to use it. The same thing goes for self tanners and body lotions.

<3 Melissa

Agreed on the shampoos and conditioners - then my hair will smell funny for a day or two /:

1 Reply
Conversation Stats