Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Copycat

Ladies,how do you handle copycats?! Copycats who ask for your opinion be it makeup,clothes,anything you like or want and just post it online to make it as their Own?Ive had it with these kind of people!

i have a "friend" who would always ask the brands i like,or the price for the things i acquire and the next thing i know she had a photo on facebook wearing the same item i got! even her husband does that too with my hubby.how annoying is that?! 

Im too old to post about this but i just dont know how to handle them anymore.they brag about their stuff, and they are annoying as anyone ive ever known.they even STALK us online!!! (Why,hello there!) they're so obnoxious and i couldnt take it anymore!  Even the stuff we have at home they would ask us where we bought it and how much its priced. Seriously, they dont know anything about good manners. I dont ever ask someone how much her things are worth,its too personal for me. And having someone as a friend who copies and disrespects u is just so irritating!

Re: Copycat

ayen85,

No your not superficial, each person is his/her own individual. I dont want to copy people so dont you copy me. Everyone should see and buy what fits her/him most.

I cut off a relationship with a toxic friend about 2 years ago. She lied about everything and would always make "joking" remarks putting me down. She was very materialistic & superficial. She would say one thing & then later totally deny saying it, even when I had witnesss that were there when she said it. She would borrow things and say she gave them back when really she didn't. I always tried to ignore or brush it off because of her upbringing. Her mother was a complete nightmare and her father never really cared. I finally had enough when she tried to pick a fight & make me feel terrible about a stupid dress. I was trying to sell the bridesmaids dress I was supposed to wear for her wedding that was cancelled years earlier due to her mother's illness. The stupid thing was ugly & didn't even fit me anymore, plus she told me that she would get new dresses when she finally did get married (a fact she totally denied even though other people heard her say it too). I did feel really bad that I hadn't thought of asking her first, which I said to her and apologized profusely but she just kept going on and on and on. What really set me off was that I just had to put my dog down like a day or two before she started this and I was already super upset. I couldn't believe she was acting like that over a stupid dress! I was telling another friend about all of this and she said to me "if she spoke to me the way she speaks to you, I would've told her off along time ago". That really put it in perspective that someone other than myself could see what she was doing. I started wondering if I was friends with her because I liked her or if it was because we had known each other for so long (10+ years). A few days later I told her to come get the dress or I was donating it to goodwill. After she got her ex-fiance to pick it up (long story there too), I cut off all contact with her. It was hard in the beginning but got easier and now I don't regret it for one second. I look back now & see how toxic she was. She was (and still is) the most selfish immature person I've known. I've come to realize that she was/is a sociopath and I am very lucky to have gotten out of the relationship. It was always about her her her. She just couldn't see or care how her actions affected other people. Sorry this is so long but once I started venting I couldn't stop lol. Although I am super happy the friendship is over, it still bother me that there are people like this out there. She caused SOOOO many problems in my life but now I'm free. Don't stay in a friendship because you feel obligated. You will feel much better once you cut all ties.

Happy for you catherineu2! i can relate with your friend being a diva.shes a diva amd her husband likes putting people down with his obnoxious jokes. When we first met during a group gathering i was so shocked how he openly corrected others about their grammar! He would laugh @  their faces and just tell them that its the wrong word or how its supposedly pronounced! He would even bully my husband and even stalk him online as he is an avid toy collector. I do agree with the upbringing. We come from the same country,same city,and they would share stories to us about their family so i guess thats also one thing that made them that way.well at least they should have tried to improve their attitude! Now that they have the "money" and the branded things all thats left to change is   themselves. Even with the expensive things u acquire it would be completely worthless if you are rotten on the inside. 

I feel all of you, girls! Especially you, catherineu2. Just keep your distance from people like that - it wouldn't kill you to find friends that can actually say something nice to you and mean it! I had recently broke ties with a bff that I knew for over a decade. I did something really nice for her, and of course, she was also this way - selfish, always wanted "1-up" me, brag about how this guy is flirting with her, or how she wants to get in this guy's pants - just kick these people out of your life. Why keep them around when all they do is constantly make you feel like crap, and compare themselves to you? Doesn't sound like a true friend to me.

i read somewhere online that competition is healthy but overdoing it is not! Especially when u compare urself with friends! Its more like putting people down just so u could feel a sense of superiority. And that for me is pathetic and stupid! I just dont see their point in being competitive with us.when we arrived in the US we were already used to buying things we fancy and we never ever bully or compete with others ever! So  why start now?! I dont wanna play pretend and be all snooty just because iv had more things than others,i compliment them and thats it. Funny how some would make a recent purchase be a big deal,and how they would talk about it for hours! Funny too how we were imitated and we're the ones made to feel crap!

haha tell me about it. They would copy me but also talk behind my back cause there are certain things they dont have the body too wear. They would be like your dress too short, or too tight blah blah. But the next occasion, they were wearing almost the same type. And no I am not trying to sound obnoxious. I ask people about make up skin care stuff all the time, some ladies here (hello lylysa, beautytester, etc...just to name a few) know that but I appreciate their help and ALWAY GIVE THEM CREDITS FOR HELPING ME. I admire them for their knowledge and they know that Smiley Happy

For my best and GOOD friend, i would even tell her the website i got my clothes and would always tell her about the sales going on. I am nice too her because she is nice too me. If there is something nice and on sale I would get 1 extra to give to her. And she would compliment me about my nice clothes just like I do the same to her, not JEALOUS like some other girls that I have known.

Also this 1 girl was kinda close to me a few years back but then I met my boyfriend and she started to get jealous and always asked me about my boyriend and wanted to meet my boyfriend, heck no. I only wanted to introduce him to the people who matter to me.

My husband actually told me that i was too generous and how i taught her how to do her makeup,the brands she could purchase here in the US. But that dosnt mean she had to copy me! If youre a genuine friend i would never hesitate to give you something i also like.but if your being a diva and who prefers to post stuff on facebook just to impress others well then you are no friend of mine! I buy things not to fish for compliments but just for myself.and funny how her husband would tell me his wife got complimented on her bag and i didnt! Talk about negative competition!

gosh yep stay away from these 2 asap !!!!!!!

Ignore them.  Life is too short to deal with people who don't add anything positive. 

I've had many the copycat friend and usually I don't notice it until someone else will point it out! I can understand liking someone else's style and looks but when they start to copy your school, education, jobs, etc... that's a level of stage 5 clinger you need to RUN far away from. Smiley Happy

I'm flattered at first but if it continues more than 2 times its just kind of strange to me! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

Oh my! Thats scary diana! Theyve been spending time here at home months before,but not anymore! I said to the husband that itheyre not welcome  and i dont want to clean my house just so i could have leeches stay in for the night and disrespect me in my own house!

*love* the stage 5 clinger reference -- that movie is such a classic Smiley Very Happy

I've had this happen many times before! It can be really obnoxious and difficult to confront people about it. I've had to just say sorry I'm sooo 'busy' can't hang out and eventually slowly fade away.

<3 Melissa

@ayen85- I remember you venting on this couple as well before. I would seriously distance your self from there or have you just asked why they are doing what they do. Sometimes just bringing a matter to someone's attention is all it takes. Hope this helps!Smiley Happy

@ayen85- You could also do the reverse psychology thing on her too. Do all the things she does to you to see how she feels about. She may not like a taste of her own medicine most people don't.

Great idea beautylovingirl!

You've received a lot of great suggestions! I know imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery or whatever, but it can be irritating, especially if you take pride in your unique choices (in clothing, fragrance. decoration, etc.).

Since this is the same individual, I totally agree with beautytester -- I wouldn't share anything with her, or, if you do,I would be very selective in what you tell her. Better yet, recommend something totally different if she asks for suggestions. If you're obsessed with a UD liner, for instance, and want to keep it to yourself, if she asks you, just say "I've heard (insert anything but UD) is good!" Now, if you have a blog and she's stealing or reposting your material, I'm not sure what you would do about that (I don't have a blog). You could confront her about it. As for asking for prices of things around your home, that is really gauche and impolite; the next time you're asked a question like that, you can definitely be vague and say "I really don't remember," or "It was a gift" (even if it wasn't!).

Thank you katie! I guess i was spoon feeding her with too much information! We were shopping last month and she was reading brands out loud just to ask for my opinion which i normally would do for a friend,im glad to say i never gave her any clue which brands to buy. we have google (duh!) why cant she just look it up online?!  she was saying that i should be her consultant on nice things.last time ive heard doing consultations should come with a payment.lol.shes not a celebrity or anything,maybe she feels that way but other than that shes just depending on others for choices on stuff she could spend her money on.

@ayen85- You should definitely give her the boot no  true"friend" tries to degrade you by telling you that you should be her consultant.. Girl boot her out like yesterday's trash and be done!

Whats worse is her husband keeps on encouraging her to buy the things i have.like when he saw me w/ a ted baker bag he said she should buy one too,or a furla bag which he kept asking me for the price!  it can be funny and annoying at the same time. 

@ayen85-It doesn't sound too funny more annoying than anything you have more than enough justification to boot her . Is there something else that is holding you back? If I have a friend that likes what I have that's great but a friend that wants to basically clone you that's creepy.

Conversation Stats