Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Challenge of the Week

Some of us have been having a lot of fun "shopping our stash" lately in an attempt to curb our spendings, but we're starting to get the itch to buy new things again.

It'd be fun to take part in a weekly challenge where we all try one type of makeup item/look/trend per week.  For example, despite admiring many who do so, I've never successfully rocked the perfect red lips.  If red lips is on the agenda, we all try out the red lips at some point during the week.  I tend not to be very adventurous with my makeup despite my many purchases, and I think it might help people like me to break out from the ordinary routine.  Also, it's just plain fun to play with makeup.  😄  (And an excuse for those without the items to buy and test new things. ;))

SCHEDULE:

• Red lips (week of Feb 14) COMPLETED
  • False lashes (week of Feb 21) COMPLETED
  • Colourful eyeliner - something that's not black or brown (week of Feb 28) COMPLETED
  • Bright pink blush (week of Mar 7) COMPLETED
  • The perfect nude lips (week of Mar 14) COMPLETED
  • Blue eyeshadow (week of Mar 21) COMPLETED
  • No makeup makeup look (week of Mar 28) COMPLETED
  • Something coral (week of April 4) COMPLETED
  • Purple eyeshadow (week of April 11) COMPLETED
  • Red nails (week of April 18) COMPLETED
  • Pastels (week of April 25) COMPLETED
  • "Golden sand" eye shadow (week of May 2) 
  • Glitter/shimmer (week of May 9)
  • Creative nails - e.g. moon manicure, nail art, nail stickers... go nuts! (week of May 16)
  • Your perfect bronzer/self-tanner (week of May 23)
  • Sunscreen! Try to wear together as many items with SPF as possible. (week of May 30)
  • Monochromatic look (week of June 6) <<<<<< CURRENT

And so on.  What do you think?

Tags:

Re: Challenge of the Week

Let me start off by saying I have been incredibly IN LOVE with this week's challenge! I am practically obsessed with gold (it is my favorite color;)) and I started wearing it as eyeshadow in 9th grade. Here's a picture of my gold:

DSCN2414.JPG

The one on the right is Physician's Formula shimmer strips in Vegas Strip, the circle on the left is Sephora's eyeshadow in Golden Girl No. 50 and the one right below it is Estee Lauder pure color eyeshadow in 35 Cinnamon. I have been mixing these up all week for beautiful combinations. In addition to eyeshadow, I have also been wearing my Looks Like Rain Dear (a super-sparkley gold) from the Sephora by OPI holiday collection and a cute golden leaf headband I got at target a few weeks ago. Loving this challenge and I really hope all you gals that aren't a huge fan of gold can find something to suit you! Gold is very versatile and can range from natural to bombshell depending on how you wear it. Since next week is about glitter I'll most likely wear the golden girl eyeshadow along with my current nail polish considering they both pack a glitter punch:)  As for last week's challenge, I pretty much failed. lol!

I did participate in the challenges...just have been derelict in posting.  Last week I took the 29th off and watched the royal wedding and then had a mani and pedi.  I got pastel blue from OPI but forgot to check the color or take pics.  This week I've worn gold eye shadow almos every day, but again have failed to note the colors or take pics...so I suck.  But I've had fun none the less./

What's our upcoming challenge? I want to get back on the band wagon.

mermadelove wrote:

What's our upcoming challenge? I want to get back on the band wagon.

If I read correctly, it's gonna be glitter!!! So you (and I) should be pretty good at it Smiley Wink

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GLITTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*faints*

I think I'm going to be missing this week. I don't have any glitter items, the only one I had was a MAC liner that spent all day shedding on my cheeks so I threw it away. Plus I am broke this month from spending May's beauty budget in April at the 15% off sale, so I don't think I can get anything new unless it's really cheap.

I am meeting a Beauty Talk friend at Sephora in June, so I want to save up for the trip. I would feel just terrible if I got to the store and couldn't buy something!!!!

@mermadelove- You will definitely excell at this week!

I was very good this week challenge wise. I did a sandy gold shadow everyday. I used the appropiate shades from the UD Naked Palette, my gold mac paint pot, my greed UD primer, and a gold Jane Iredale shadow. 

I have so much glittery makeup, Im looking forward to this upcoming week. I just got the MUFE halloween kit that is on sale and it has an amazing glitter that is basicly clear, but when the light hits it its a beautiful lavender color.

I have several glittery UD shadows, but they have such bad fall out... but I will be rocking my UD glitter liner in spandex.

I recently got Tarina Tarantinos Gold Sparklecity in the perfume bottle, I had been wanting it forever, so that will be big in my rotation next week. 

Also @lashreece You took the day off to watch the wedding? That's awesome. And then getting your nails done too makes you my hero. My boss is a jerk about taking time off.

Golden sandy eyeshadow:  done!  It felt like a good day for BE True Gold.  Even dabbed on a bit of bronzer to warm it up the look. 

As for glitter... Does MUFE's Star Powder count?  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P12657&categoryId=C13402

I don't think I have anything that counts as true glitter. It's another thing that's outside my regular style but I'll look around for some interesting glittery item when I'm out and about tomorrow. 🙂

@mermadelove, you crack me up!

@lashreece, I've been doing the same thing as you. I'm doing the challenges each week but haven't been posting it. I did skip pastel week. Pastels do absolutely nothing for me; I'm not sure if I even have any. Otherwise, I've been keeping up. Glitter week may be a challenge. Hmm....I have some super glittery mini eyeliners from Lorac. They came in a set but so far I've only used the black. I found it too glittery and it was soooo hard to get off that night. The other three are new. They're pretty colors but just too glittery for me....they may wind up in a future TSB or get swapped or something.

I've been doing the same thing as Lashreece and Daisy, I'm doing the Challenges and not posting and I have no way to take pictures.  Everythings been good up to this glitter.  I'll have to really look and see if I have any (hands cuffed on buying anything.).  We'll have to see.

@katimae and you wacky glitterphobes:  A glitter topcoat for your mani is a quick, cheap, easy   ( and non scary) way to incorporate glitter! 🙂

I love glitter. I'll post later this week with a super glittery look!!! Enough glitter to make up for all you glitter haters!  😄

(Can't do this look at work!!! 😮 )

Hey everyone! Long time no post! I hope everyone had a good Mommy day! Mother's Day week is always hectic for me cause my Mom's birthday is usually a couple days before or on Mother's Day. Her birthday is May 4th and she gets really mad if we try consolidate the two days, so we have to do 2 different things always.

It's glitter week?!?! thats soo funny. I've been too busy to get on here and check, but last week I bought Sephora O.P.I. nail polish in Traffic Stopper Copper and I've been wearing it for the past week! I love it. Really chunky glittery top coat, in Copper. Sooo pretty!

Glitter!!!

Some ideas for future challenges.....he he (no I have not been drinking, just feeling silly )
-see how many ways you can fit sunscreen into your routine ( we are approaching get outside weather after all)
-burlesque - check out Cher's movie, there even some great NMML's
-lipgloss!!! Put it on and find someone to smooch
-monochromatic eg all browns, all pinks, or if your brave all greens 😉
-give a compliment to someone you don't usually compliment and share some beauty from the inside

lashreece wrote:
Glitter!!!

Some ideas for future challenges.....he he (no I have not been drinking, just feeling silly )
-see how many ways you can fit sunscreen into your routine ( we are approaching get outside weather after all)
-burlesque - check out Cher's movie, there even some great NMML's
-lipgloss!!! Put it on and find someone to smooch
-monochromatic eg all browns, all pinks, or if your brave all greens 😉
-give a compliment to someone you don't usually compliment and share some beauty from the inside

Hey lashreece, thanks for the suggestions! I was going to canvass for some more ideas anyway. I like the sunscreen and monochromatic idea. The others are kind of more on the "dare" side than makeup looks, so I'm going to leave them out unless everyone else votes to shift our challenges from just "looks" to "acts" as well. 🙂

Hm, time to break out the glittery eye shadow palette a friend sent me from Japan that I've never used................ Probably going to be a weekend look 🙂

@pocketvenus - Noooo, wear it to work tomorrow! 😄

Okay, so I did seriously look around for some glittery makeup but I couldn't bring myself to buy them. They won't get much play from me. I don't have anything against them and love looking at them, but I just can't wear them.

Don't forget that it is a SHIMMER and glitter challenge. So there are even challenge appropriate shadows in our Naked UD palettes, Ive been using them all week. And this is supposed to be a CHALLENGE, i.e. stepping briefly out of your comfort zone. Sorry for the outburst. I'm taking a deep cleansing breath. LOL!

This week I did my nails with OPI Rumba which I bought weeks ago and hadnt used yet. It is a very pretty copper shimmer polish, loving it. Today I did a touch up and added the Only Gold for Me top coat. I liked it better without it, however.

I've been using mostly shimmer vs glitter during the day since I work in a medical office. So, like I said before, Im using my shimmer options from the Naked palette as a base. Yesterday I added a little  TT Sparklecity on my eyes and cheekbones which I normally wouldn't do for work, but it didnt look over the top. Believe me, if it did, my manager would have commented.

I have been using my Givenchy Glitter Pomelo Pop Gloss everyday, so pretty. When I get done with work for the day I add a little (well, sometimes a lot) extra MUFE White Violet glitter to it, its the same exact color.

Today I only worked till noon, so for the second half the day I used my UD shadow pencil in Morphine and layered tons of the white violet glitter on top. This was the first time I thought to do that and it turned out really pretty. I lined the bottom lash line with Asphyxia. Hmm, I just tried to take pictures of it with the camera built in to my computer, but the glitter won't show up.

Anyway, don't be afraid of the shimmer ladies. 😃

officegal wrote:

@pocketvenus - Noooo, wear it to work tomorrow! 😄

Is that a dare? 😉

Well, I did shimmery more than glittery yesterday; but it's only the beginning.  I wore UD Naked's shimmery shadows sidecar & halfbaked with a touch of sin & toasted (sounds like my old life LOLOLOL)  I also wore sparkly lipgloss but I don't remember the name this early morning.  I also wore a brown and blue top  that had brown big rocky-like crystals around the neckline.Have to go to Hershey today so I'll work on getting so glittery nail polish tomorrow.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos130
  • second lip.JPG
  • red lip.JPG
  • 011811-Malin-400.jpg
  • 020311-Kate-400.jpg
  • 122210-Emma-400.jpg
  • moulinrouge.jpg
  • red lip day 2.JPG
  • IMG_1861.JPG
  • IMG_1872.JPG