Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Challenge of the Week

Some of us have been having a lot of fun "shopping our stash" lately in an attempt to curb our spendings, but we're starting to get the itch to buy new things again.

It'd be fun to take part in a weekly challenge where we all try one type of makeup item/look/trend per week.  For example, despite admiring many who do so, I've never successfully rocked the perfect red lips.  If red lips is on the agenda, we all try out the red lips at some point during the week.  I tend not to be very adventurous with my makeup despite my many purchases, and I think it might help people like me to break out from the ordinary routine.  Also, it's just plain fun to play with makeup.  😄  (And an excuse for those without the items to buy and test new things. ;))

SCHEDULE:

• Red lips (week of Feb 14) COMPLETED
  • False lashes (week of Feb 21) COMPLETED
  • Colourful eyeliner - something that's not black or brown (week of Feb 28) COMPLETED
  • Bright pink blush (week of Mar 7) COMPLETED
  • The perfect nude lips (week of Mar 14) COMPLETED
  • Blue eyeshadow (week of Mar 21) COMPLETED
  • No makeup makeup look (week of Mar 28) COMPLETED
  • Something coral (week of April 4) COMPLETED
  • Purple eyeshadow (week of April 11) COMPLETED
  • Red nails (week of April 18) COMPLETED
  • Pastels (week of April 25) COMPLETED
  • "Golden sand" eye shadow (week of May 2) 
  • Glitter/shimmer (week of May 9)
  • Creative nails - e.g. moon manicure, nail art, nail stickers... go nuts! (week of May 16)
  • Your perfect bronzer/self-tanner (week of May 23)
  • Sunscreen! Try to wear together as many items with SPF as possible. (week of May 30)
  • Monochromatic look (week of June 6) <<<<<< CURRENT

And so on.  What do you think?

Tags:

Re: Challenge of the Week

@beauty rush I think the purple looks great on you!

For anyone who has a hard time wearing purples, I was getting caught up on my magazine subscription reading last night and a recent issue of InStyle says that the Bobbi Brown Peony & Python Palette (which is a palette of purples) works great with any eye color (even blue eyes)!  Sephora has this palette here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P284202&categoryId=B70

By the way, I am still thoroughly enjoying purple eyeshadow week! 🙂

I wear purple every week - a few times a week 🙂   Love it!!!

I feel like I am sooooo behind on everything where I've been down with another migraine.  Everybody's pics look great! 🙂

@beautyrush:  I love the makeover that Caitlin did on you at the Knoxville Sephora.  That is the Sephora that I go to when I make my 2+ hour trip to Sephora every month or two.  Maybe we've even run into each other there and hadn't even realized it!  Wouldn't that be funny?!?! Smiley Very Happy

@tenngal & katimae:

I have blue eyes and my favorite color is purple. I wear purples all the time as eyeshadow (I don't think it looks bad, and I hope it doesn't) However, my only purple eyeshadows are from the Peony & Python palette, so maybe that is why I think it looks good....LOVE my PURPLE! (Which is why I'm so excited for my eyeshadow this weekend!)

I'm not sure if it's obvious that I'm wearing purple, but here is my attempt! This is mostly the right half of the NARS Charade Eyeshadow Duo, which is a smokey plum shade (the other half is mauve). I actually like purple with blue eyes...this is the only one I own, though :(.

rsz_16056_130792762447_500127447_3192725_533724_n.jpg

@katie1724--lady,you have got some gorgeous eyes!!! not to mention very well groomed brows.great look!

@sarithor, I'm glad you're having a good time. That sounds like such a fun thing to do- live at your sister's and take care of her baby. Almost like a vacation!

I like the the combo of Nars eyeshadow in night fairy, with Urban Decay 's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Rockstar (dark purple). then ont he lip I do  Nars gloss in Gash with is  AWESOME .

@Katie:  You can tell your wearing purple and it looks good.  I have blue eyes and tons of purple.  I love to wear it.  Always have.  I am wearing it today but don't have anyway to get a pic  on here.  Does anybody know, if I hook up Snipe to my old laptop will it take stills that I can post photos on here of. (grammar?)

I wasn't sure how many purple shadows I had in my stash but I have more than enough! lol

L'Oreal Hip in Wicked

Clinique trio in Come Heather

NARS in Night Rider & Night Fairy

Lancome quad (Statuesque)

And 2 purple liners: Cargo eggplant (don't know the actual name) and UD 24/7 in Ransom (looks blue against the flash).

IMG_2587.JPG

Yay! I love purple! NOw I 'm going to use the purple UD Stardust shadow I got from katie in TSB 2! And now I know what color to use on my nails today too!

@officegal: I love those shadows, particularly the NARS Night series! Does my Charade duo count? Half of it is plum (haha)...other than that, I don't own any purple shadow 😞

This is an easy week for me.  Purple is my favorite eye shadow color.  I have hazel eyes, so it's the ideal color for me.   Today I did the monochromatic eye in Sephora's Midnight Hours and Smashbox Cream Metallic Eyeliner in Amethyst.    I wore my Benefit Dandelion blush and lipstick in Loreal's Raisin Rapture.  

Michelle Phan just did a purple eyeshadow tutorial. Just search for it on YouTube 🙂

Tomorrow for work, I think I'll use the purple shadow in my Lancome quad as a base colour, maybe highlight inner corners with a very light gold and then use a more neutral shadow to contour and line. Blush using Smashbox's soft tints (it has a gold tint) and Smashbox's pixel lip gloss (kind of neutral in colour).

I just found this thread and it sounds like fun! So here I am! Smiley Happy Hmmm....Coral....I have the coralish pinkish Nars Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in Happy Days that I will wear tomorrow to school. But besides that being all I'm allowed to wear (I can't wear a light coat of mascara even!), I'm pretty sure that is all I can wear. Do bright orange nails count as coral? Because that is what I have on right now! Oh well. 

I'll try to take a picture of my lips, but I'm not allowed to take a picture of my whole face! Sorry!

@marinaanne147:  Welcome to the thread!  And, yes, coral nails do count.  As a matter of fact, I just did coral nails for this week's challenge.  Can't wait to see your lipstick and nail polish if you decide to post pics. 🙂

tenngal wrote:

@marinaanne147:  Welcome to the thread!  And, yes, coral nails do count.  As a matter of fact, I just did coral nails for this week's challenge.  Can't wait to see your lipstick and nail polish if you decide to post pics. 🙂

My nails seriously aren't coral, they're Essie's 'Bright Tights' which is a neon orange! Photo on 2011-04-11 at 19.46 #2.jpgBut I'll post the remaining chips anway! Photo on 2011-04-11 at 19.49.jpgI'm also pretty sure my Mac's 'Photo Booth' washed out the color, so I'm sorry about that.  😞

P.S. So excited for my Sephora order to get here! Does anyone know how long it takes to get to its destination if you ordered on a Friday or Saturday?

I'm going to just have to continue my coral toes as my contribution to coral week. Manicures last about 15 minutes for me. Coral toes in Essie Risky  Business.

I used Benefit Georgia on Tuesday, but my box must be expired or something because it went on really cakey and I looked like I was off to Ringling Bros! I used a clean brush and not the weird one that came with the box, so who knows what went on! I left it on because I was going to be around the house for the day and not likely to scare anyone!

My coral fingernails are already replaced with a light lilac and white cause even on my hands the coral made me look sickly. Smiley Sad  Maybe I could pull off wearing it on my toes like prettyinpa is doing (thank you for the idea, prettyinpa! Smiley Wink).  I'll have to try that so the polish I bought isn't a complete waste.  I think I'll get the coral polish out and paint them tonight so I can still be a team player in this week's challenge. 🙂

Conversation Stats
Photos130
  • second lip.JPG
  • red lip.JPG
  • 011811-Malin-400.jpg
  • 020311-Kate-400.jpg
  • 122210-Emma-400.jpg
  • moulinrouge.jpg
  • red lip day 2.JPG
  • IMG_1861.JPG
  • IMG_1872.JPG
  • leamichele@2011grammys001.jpg