Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

CRYSTALS, GEMS AND JEWELRY

I know a few of us share a passion for crystals and jewelry as well as makeup so thought I would start a thread on this. Share your stash, finds, whatever!

crysthr17.jpg

Re: CRYSTALS, GEMS AND JEWELRY

@Beadshopgirl  can't wait to see what you share. Sorry I meant to tag you yesterday and well me and my scatter brain I forgot until now 😄 😄 😄

@veronika23 - You come up with the best threads!

I was obsessed with collecting rocks and minerals when I was a kid.  My favorite piece is a geode (I have the whole geode) with purple/amethyst crystals!  I'm now really into Larimar; I have a few pieces of jewelry.

Unfortunately I was raised by parents who still believed that "girls can't do math and science" or I would be a geologist, gemologist, or some other -ist in the rock and mineral industry.  😞

Thank you @Titian06 🙂

Ohhh sounds nice! I love Larimar too! I also love Moonstones, Quartz, Turquoise... well pretty much anything blue :D. I will have to upload some pics when I can figure out where the picture folders are lol

It's not too late.  Could you take a course to have your creds for gemologist? Or maybe not your full creds but to learn more? Could start a side business 😉

@Titian06. oh cool!  Wow yeah I can understand that... You need a break! 🙂

@veronika23 - Oh, wow!  I love those same gems as well...and anything blue!  Particularly sapphire (real, not synthetic).

Thanks for the suggestion on gemology courses!  I am so burned out from going to school for 15 years (AAB, BA, MBA)--working a full-time job, a part-time job, and going to school in the evenings--that taking any type of course, workshop, conference, makes me freak out!  It will be a while before I can step into a learning environment again!  😄

@veronika23  Has anyone read Elizabeth Taylor's "My Love Affair with Jewelry?"  I think they re-released it recently.  Super fun for any jewelry addict...if only it had pics of her whole collection!

Image result for my love affair with jewelry

Do you remember the auction brochure of her jewelry?  The only piece that stood out for me was the HUGE canary yellow pear cut solitaire diamond ring!  I couldn't stop staring at it!  I thought I kept a picture, but I couldn't find it.  I may have to look on Google.

@greeneyedgirl107 - Found a picture:

Ring made in platinum and white gold and is set with a 16.98 carat 
pear-shaped diamond with trimmed calibre-cut sapphires. 
A gift from Michael Jackson

@Titian06 That one doesn't ring a bell for me...I Googled it but I'm not sure if I found the right diamonds.  I remember her writing that Eddie Fisher "gave" her yellow diamond earrings - but he paid for them with the allowance she provided him!  Remember when her fragrance "White Diamonds" was all the rage?

Image result for elizabeth taylor white diamonds perfume

@Titian06 No!  I wasn't aware of the brochure...I would have loved to have seen it!  She wrote in her book that we are merely custodians of jewelry, b/c she knew her heirs would sell her pieces.  

@greeneyedgirl107. No I haven't.  I'm kinda weird when it comes to reading selection... well I'm weird period. 😄

Well that's good to know @greeneyedgirl107 :). I wasn't sure LOL

@veronika23 I consider it more of a picture book!  🙂

@veronika23 Has anyone been to the gem and mineral wing at the Smithsonian?  I've been wanting to go to see it, including the jewelry!  I also love the gem and minerals section at the American Museum of Natural History.

Image result for smithsonian jewelry

@greeneyedgirl107 - I visited the Smithsonian on the annual family summer vacation when I was 10 years old (that was 40+ years ago).  There are only two things I remember about the trip.  The Hope diamond is one of the two.  I will never forget seeing it!

@Titian06 Thought you might like this...a more recent setting they created.  And supposedly the curse is just a myth!

Image result for hope diamond

No, but I also have been (and loved) to the Museum of Natural History's gem and rocks section!

Spent so much time photographing diamonds LOL

@greeneyedgirl107 I've been! That's where they have the Hope Diamond and I visualize myself stealing it heist style every time. 

@alexasteph Wouldn't that be something?  I only saw a replica at the Carnegie Museum.  Is it bad that the number one thing I like about museums is the jewelry?  Ha ha!  I was at a diamond exhibit in NY years ago and someone actually made off with a piece - inside job!  Saw the Krupp diamond and also my first pink diamonds. Memories!

@greeneyedgirl107. No I've never been. Cool!!!

@veronika23 I've always loved big jewelry, so I have been loving all the statement pieces these past many years.  I am so sad to see smaller pieces take center stage.  I think delicate things are pretty, but I just can't seem them well enough.  Plus, I think a really easy way to look better is to put on some bling.

@greeneyedgirl107  I definitely love big pieces of jewelry too. I rarely do dainty things. They just don't seem to suit me lol

Photos129
  • crysthr17.jpg
  • diamondearrings.png
  • IMG_1339.JPG
  • image.jpeg
  • 7-14-2017 9-11-44 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-03 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-23 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-35 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-45 AM.jpg
  • 7-14-2017 9-12-56 AM.jpg
  • Pink Star Diamond
  • My pearl bead collection. I'll use them all eventually!
  • I want this sink!
  • cbf6242e0bed6001d406f54feb9a49cb--huge-bathtub-dream-bathrooms.jpg
testing