Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Besides Beauty

Bugs.....

Okay so I kept hearing a strange noise in my kitchen.  It sounded like some type of bug chirping.  I went in, turned on the light and saw nothing.  I turned the light back off and then heard it again a few minutes later.  This time I grabbed a fly swatter and turned the light back on. 

So what do I see....a cricket/grass hopper (not sure how you tell the difference) at least 4 inches long on the wall over my kitchen window.  Now I am freaking out.  I am not a bug girl.  I am trying to figure out how to kill it without it attacking me (yes I know that this won't really happen, but that isn't what goes through my head when I see a bug - blame all the B horror movies I watched as a kid).  So as I am arguing in my head between just going to bed, hoping that someone else kills it later or putting on my big girl panties and taking care of it.

So, what do I do, I get the vacuum, pull out the handle and suck it up.  So now the bug is alive and well in the vacuum container.  I'll just leave it in there and make someone else get rid of it in the morning.

Just wanted to share.  I can't be the only one that had been creative in getting rid of a bug.

Re: Bugs.....

*high five*. Yup, I also use those tube attachment of the vaccum for bugs. Occasionally when I'm freaked out I just dump half bottle of whatever thing closest to me (shampoo, shower gel, cleanser, room spray, detergent etc).

When I was little I loved bugs and would bring ants/beetles back in my pocket, I've no idea when did I start loathing them, but now, yeah....

You know they have vacuums specifically for bugs - I was tempted..

I don't think it would work on a roach though.

I admit im a hairspray bug killer, although I have been known to just use whatever aerosol product is around when I spot the uninvited houseguest. But I do on occasion use the vaccuum or a shoe if its small enough. I have to say thats a darn big bug. If I saw that my husband would have been on duty for that task.

I've tried to Febreze a roach to death once....at least it smelled nice.  I have a roach spray now, but I'll let that spray go like 2 feet because I don't want to be anywhere near the bug.  Then I wind-up having to clean up my floors afterwards....

lol Poor cricket. It wouldn't have done anything to you.

And yeah, if the thing was chirping, it was most likely a cricket. Grasshoppers make more of a clicking/vibrating sound like flipping through the edges of a ream of paper. Crickets are also nocturnal, and you mentioned seeing the creature at night.

I once had a grasshopper land right on my mic stand while I was singing with my band. It was actually kind of cute. Smiley Very Happy

Spiders though, ughhhhhhhh don't even get me started!! I'm pretty sure the hose attachment on vacuums was invented for arachnophobic sissies like me. lol

Aww, poor bug.  I don't like things that bite but crickets that do absolutely nothing harmful to people I don't mind.  I would have just closed the door to my bedroom and left it alone.  I will suffocate in the vacuum cleaner would have been better to just stick a jar on it and then lid it and let it out outside.  Just my two cents though Smiley Happy

I can't stand Bugs, I run screaming from Spiders, Roaches, Crickets, Frogs, Lizards.....!

They freak me out! And luckily someone is always home to take care of it for me!! 

But a few weeks ago i was reaching to get a Fruit Rollup, Lol i'm still five on the inside, and i felt something weird and looked down and there was a Lizard! 

I was freaked out and screamed lol. 

After i calmed down i took a picture from FAR away lol! Then got someone to put it outside! But it was a horrible experience!

omg....I would have freaked a bit.  Love that you got a picture. 

I was freaking out the whole time trying to get as close as i could without being too close, but still trying to get a good picture lol!

It was just horrible! If it had moved i would have just died! Haha

OMG! That thing is huge!!! >.< I'm horrible with lizards too!

If it's a super tiny one and in a bunch of open space I'm fine, but if it's crawling in between things and surrounded by stuff I freak out because I don't know how to tackle it!

Creepy crawlies don't bother me much unless they're poisonous. Then I'll quickly kill whatever it is. I'm not scared of spiders or snakes, they are not my favorite, and can still take me by surprise if I am unaware.

I use to catch caterpillars and let them crawl all over me. I pick up frogs, just recently one landed on my face between my eyes while swimming. I swam with him on my face to the edge of the pool so the chlorine wouldn't kill him. I've had them go down my shirt before also. I also like playing with jumping spiders! Oh and I've had to pick up snakes in the yard and carry them up the hill so that my dad doesn't kill them. I sometimes get the little snakes in my room and I have to catch them. I've never really dealt with a lizard but recently I found one had died and been mummified in my room. I wasn't worried by the lizard but because something had been dead in my room since god knows when.  I'm always having to save frogs, field mice, and various baby animals that get caught in the window wells. 

I will say I hate black widows. I was sitting on the floor talking on the phone. A shiny black spider crawled up my leg. I calmly flicked it and it landed on it's belly. I saw the hourglass, screamed, and stomped it. I've yet to see a rattlesnake, but when I do I'm not going to think twice about shooting it. 

Please bear with me and the long post - but I had to share my "creativity"...

We have crazy big bugs in Texas.  A co-worker stayed in corporate apartments and the orientation packet had something like "Texas is known for it's large and unusual bugs.  Do not be alarmed", etc...

I hate roaches..that's about the only bug I cannot stand and they are HUGE here.  One night in a hotel in San Antonio, I fell asleep with the light on and suddenly woke up because of a weird feeling.  No kidding - there was a huge cockroach right on the sheets, in front of me.  So, naturally, I yelped and it jumped away.  Only armed with sugar packets and hotel toiletries, I tried to shoo it out the door or squish it by throwing things at it.  Somehow it wounded up on the ceiling.  I knew there was no way I was going to sleep with that thing with me, so I called the front desk.  I had been staying at the hotel for almost a full year, so they knew me and humored me by sending up a big dude.  That big dude yelped almost like me when he saw the thing because he wasn't expecting to see it on the ceiling.  We eventually got it, but I did not sleep well that night.

The end.

Omg...I grew up in TX so I know all about those roaches. It doesn't matter how clean your house is you will end up with one at some point.  Well my mom used to set off bug bombs in our house every few months.  So one day during summer break while I was in high school, I'm sitting on the couch watching tv and I felt something hit me.  I look over and there is a roach ON MY SHOULDER!  I screamed and tried to swat it off. Apparently it was high from the bug bomb and wouldn't move.  So the next thing you know I'm ripping off my shirt running through the living room in my bra is creaming just as the ups guy was knocking on the glass of our screen door.  The whole time my mom is laughing. I'm still a little scared from the incident. 

OMG!!!  In college, we had guys in the apartment next to us be the bug killers.  That's how we first met..with my roommate and I outside of our apartment because there were like 3 flying/jumping roaches in our living room.

OK - now I have creepy-crawly sensations on my skin.  Whenever I watch those National Geographic programs about insects (which I love), I always wind up feeling itchy afterwards and thinking there's a bug on me.  I can't imagine actually finding on...ugh!

Until you see one of those things flying at you, you have no idea just how awful they are.  just thinking about them is giving me the willies. 

Omg I've had something similar happen! But i was home alone and it was a flying roach! it just came at me and i was like swatting away trying to find where it went all paranoid, and i turned my head and it was on my shoulder! I freaked out and threw my clothes off haha! And then i heard my parents coming home so i ran to my room, it was hard to explain why all my clothes were in the kitchen! I think they had thought something else was going on! But they laughed when i explained!

That is great.  Here I thought I was the only one who. Smiley Wink

Yep - those crazy flying ones are Asian Cockroaches and are common in Texas..unfortunately.  I can handle them scurrying on the ground.  It's just unfair if they can fly...just...not...fair....

Lol! I live in Texas! Welcome to my life! I find a Huge roach at least once a week during Summer! Any other time of year they are no where to be found in my house, but during summer they just pop up all over the place! I hate it! We have an exterminator come and spray around the house but it does little to help. 

Roaches!!!! They will be the end of me!!!!

That's nice that the hotel humored you, I mean, that's pretty considerate to send someone to kill a bug for you!

Speaking of roaches, I woke up one morning (I get up super early so it's still dark) and as I'm walking to my bathroom to turn on the light, I then look down and see a giant roach on it's back that appears to be bed but it's kind of twitching! I couldn't scream because I didn't want to wake up my bf, so I did an open mouth, silent scream and grabbed the closed weapon around (pair of knee high boots) and squished it just to be extra sure it was dead-dead! Then came the mounds of tissue to pick it up and flush it!

My issue is spiders & centipedes! Crickets don't really bother me because I know they don't bite, & they hop away real quick. 

I can't believe you used the vacuum though! I would never, because then it means the bugs are all living inside & they can crawl out. True story, watched a spider I caught the day before crawl out of the hose. NEVER AGAIN! 

Ugh I'm going to go barf now Smiley Sad 

Gah, roaches! Nasty critters, I hate them! One fell out of a tree and landed on my shoulder once while I was out walking. I started spazzing and slapping myself like a schizophrenic having a bad trip. I think the bug ended up more afraid of me than I was of it.

Another time, a roach crawled out from the drawer where we used to store the flatware in our kitchen. I slammed the drawer shut and smashed the critter in half and was too nauseated afterward to deal with it.

And yes, actually crickets can bite people and will do so in self defense, but it is rare. Their bite is not strong enough to pierce the skin though.

Oh! Oh! I forgot another story...can't believe I did.  I have to find the picture but it's on one of my external hard drives.

I was working on a project with all guys, stuffed into a smallish conference room.  They were bringing in snacks, candy, etc... and not doing a great job of cleaning after themselves.

I was working on something and caught movement out of the corner of my eye -- something on my co-workers laptop!  We all stopped working (of course) to check it out.  Tiny antennas were sticking out of his ethernet port!  We pushed the laptop a little and a tiny roach came out of it. Ah!!!  I bought like 5 roach bait things and have to be a "mommy" and get on the guys to pick up their garbage and stick the can outside the office.

101 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos8
  • 18987_10200805403792269_1187578988_n.jpg
  • swfupload_4467910177764402101.jpg
  • swfupload_2501210314761809242.jpg
  • swfupload_4935303558905948565.png
  • swfupload_6277923724774301174.jpg
  • swfupload_2160626425049674472.jpg
  • swfupload_1068974001214705250.jpg
  • photo (1).JPG