Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Brainstorming for how to get the message boards more active!

I think many of us noticed the thread started by @itscarin titled Are the message boards dead? .  I'd like to have BICers brainstorm ways for us to make it more active again.  There are so many great people on here, and I think we could all use some more ways to engage with each other.  BIC is about beauty, but it's also about friendship.  Please consider this a place to post ideas about how we can inspire more conversations.

best-online-beauty-1588184589.jpg

Here are some ideas that I humbly offer to get us started:

-post on an older thread and revive it (some ones I like are  CRYSTALS, GEMS AND JEWELRY )

-start a challenge (a la the 💕😌 Mask of the Week Challenge 😌💖 or 100 Days of Lipstick Challenge )

-start a new thread (remember the seasonal threads like  ?  Or, what about brand threads that we don't have yet?  I believe we're missing a Paula's Choice thread -- especially since it's now carried at Sephora.  Or, what about a thread devoted to all the celebrity beauty brands for us to chat on?)

-reach out to BICers that you haven't seen post in a while

-set a BIC goal for posting or reviews and see where it takes you.  (I know I'd like to post more pics of hauls, but never do.)

Re: Brainstorming for how to get the message boards more active!

@greeneyedgirl107 I started the non-beauty hauls thread. I am obsessed with a British shop I found on Etsy that has super cool quirky cards. I am probably their best customer. I am already looking at the holiday cards. I have sent a number of cards and a couple prints from there and they are always well-loved but I’m afraid to share the name of it with people! This placemat just arrived today, to give you an idea. And this card for a friend I will be sending tomorrow.

I am not sure how to make a card exchange happen though. Need to think about it.

BE69DBBC-56B4-43F8-BC6A-EC85A66B3ADB.jpeg

C2DA6E19-F8B7-45E4-AEFA-719BB1644064.jpeg

@sprocketta A non beauty based haul thread would be cool! I would be down to see what people buy otherwise! 

I agree about the 100 days of lipstick challenge - I've been thinking of doing that again though I feel a bit weird about it since I only go to the office 1-2 days a week so I would really just be putting it on at home for myself haha 

@Kim888 I think all my posts to the non-beauty hauls thread would be clothes. I’ve lost a lot of weight and basically buying a new wardrobe.

@sprocketta good call on reviving the decorations tag!  I really liked that last year.

@CookieGirl1 I was really bummed about not seeing my family for the holidays so I went pretty hardcore into the holiday spirit. I am a little nervous about putting up a tree with my crazy lady Pepper here. It will certainly be interesting.

@sprocketta I remember your impressive decor from last year 😉

@CookieGirl1 I look forward to hanging up the ornaments gifted to me by @quspork i’m last year’s secret Santa.

@sprocketta - Didn't you get a handmade wreath from one of your neighbors?

@Titian06 Yes! It’s sitting in the closet waiting to be brought out. 

53CBA873-3740-4934-BDCB-22CBB8517614.jpeg

@sprocketta  That's so gorgeous!  I remember the story from last year; glad it ended well.

@Ispend2much6 yes! The first one she made was hideous but it came out so nicely. 

I'll think about it, @greeneyedgirl107.  Maybe there are more threads I can start!

@curlychiquita I'm some great ideas will come to you!!!

@greeneyedgirl107  Thanks for the tag!  I like the idea of a challenge.  I think another idea, (both your challenge and this other type could be done at the same time,) might be to host a challenge that's a little more personal.  For example, we could share our thoughts about the following:  favorite season and why, favorite holiday tradition, food, or cookie; hobbies we had when we were young, hobbies we have now, a most embarrassing moment, a most proud moment, etc.  I'm not very good at thinking of these subjects, but wanted to list a few that could get us sharing more of who we are and have some fun while doing it.

@Ispend2much6 Agreed, the annual holiday thread is always fun ❤️

@pocketvenus   I just realized Thanksgiving is a few weeks away; I always aim to have some cookie dough in the freezer by then; we'll see if it happens. 🙂  Do you have a favorite cookie/dessert you make for any holiday?

@Ispend2much6 I tend to switch it up and have been baking more cakes these days, including this fantastic pomegranate molasses cake from the NY Times, highly recommended 🍰 💗 What kind of cookies do you like to make? 🙂

pomegranate-cake.jpg

@pocketvenus This sounds absolutely fantastic, and I didn't know pomegranate molasses was a thing! I'm definitely going to make this for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

@curlychiquita It's great! You can use it to dress all kinds of dishes and it gives an acidic tart and sweet flavour.

@pocketvenus  Yum!  I love pomegranate.  Pomegranate molasses must pack a punch if only 3 TB are used in the recipe.  Lately I've been making apple and plum cakes, since they're in season.  No sooner is one gone than my husband, who has a hearty appetite and manages to stay thin anyway, requests another one. 🙂  I use the German Apple Cake recipe from All Recipes, and the Purple Plum Torte from Smitten Kitchen.

@Ispend2much6 Ooooh, I used to read Smitten Kitchen! One of the OG food blogs 🙂 And yes, I too have to guard my baked goods or expect them to disappear very quickly!!

Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • best-online-beauty-1588184589.jpg
  • 53CBA873-3740-4934-BDCB-22CBB8517614.jpeg
  • BE69DBBC-56B4-43F8-BC6A-EC85A66B3ADB.jpeg
  • C2DA6E19-F8B7-45E4-AEFA-719BB1644064.jpeg
  • pomegranate-cake.jpg
testing