Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

Brainstorming for how to get the message boards more active!

I think many of us noticed the thread started by @itscarin titled Are the message boards dead? .  I'd like to have BICers brainstorm ways for us to make it more active again.  There are so many great people on here, and I think we could all use some more ways to engage with each other.  BIC is about beauty, but it's also about friendship.  Please consider this a place to post ideas about how we can inspire more conversations.

best-online-beauty-1588184589.jpg

Here are some ideas that I humbly offer to get us started:

-post on an older thread and revive it (some ones I like are  CRYSTALS, GEMS AND JEWELRY )

-start a challenge (a la the 💕😌 Mask of the Week Challenge 😌💖 or 100 Days of Lipstick Challenge )

-start a new thread (remember the seasonal threads like  ?  Or, what about brand threads that we don't have yet?  I believe we're missing a Paula's Choice thread -- especially since it's now carried at Sephora.  Or, what about a thread devoted to all the celebrity beauty brands for us to chat on?)

-reach out to BICers that you haven't seen post in a while

-set a BIC goal for posting or reviews and see where it takes you.  (I know I'd like to post more pics of hauls, but never do.)

Re: Brainstorming for how to get the message boards more active!

@makeitup305   I like this!  Do you think it would work if we did weekly themes like: Week 1- Scones; Week 2- Shortbread...and whatever else falls into that category.

Since we're heading into the holidays, it could go something like this: Week 1- gingerbread or gingerbread cookies; Week 2- Shortbread; Week 3- sugar cookies; Week 4- Drop cookies- have everyone choose their own recipe, bake it, take pictures, and share the recipe with the pictures?

That does sound like a lot of calories, and work, but it might inspire me to get my Christmas baking done and ready for gifts on time.

@Ispend2much6 that was kind of my idea, I thought it would be cute. If we do it, it would probably be smart to freeze half the dough and just have it ready for the holidays.

@makeitup305 You're making my hungry already! 

@makeitup305 @greeneyedgirl107 or even pics of holiday food creations?

I think I will post on the Skincare Routine of the Day again and hopefully breathe some life back into there as well, @greeneyedgirl107. I appreciate that others like you are trying to revive some great thread and also get new ones started.

@eshoe @l8totheparty Thanks for posting.  Good to see so many lovelies getting on board ❤️

I am trying, @greeneyedgirl107! It seems like I can get a few responses to tags written and then I cannot log in. But I will keep at it 🙂 

@eshoe That's a shame!!!

I need to get back on there, too. @eshoe @greeneyedgirl107 

My skincare lately has not been up to snuff and I'm skipping steps! 

@l8totheparty my problem is that I usually forget a couple of products, and then I feel like I need to retake my photo. I just did that this morning and again tonight, but I am going to stress less about perfection and just include them in my description:)

eta; I hope you are able to set aside some time to get back into a routine that fits your schedule!!!

Started a thread for non-beauty hauls and added the first post…

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Haul-Stars/OMG-October-2021-Non-Beauty-Hauls/m-p/5983089
@greeneyedgirl107 @Kim888 @eshoe @Loretta55  @Samtian Just a few folks that come to mind. I know there are more people who would enjoy this thread.

The thread that I am hoping can be more active again is Ride the Wave With Me @greeneyedgirl107 . As a wavy swavy haired girl what works one day does not always seem to work again. I feel that it is an ever changing process and I enjoy seeing other people’s opinions on what techniques and products they have been using. If I can think of any other ideas I will post them.

@Loretta55 If I ever where my naturally wavy hair that way again, that thread will be my first initiation -- as I've forgotten how to do anything but flat iron!

Getting arthritis in my hand got me away from using my flat iron @greeneyedgirl107. BTW I fryed my hair twice using a flat iron.

@Loretta55 I've been married to my my flat iron for over a decade.  Don't get me wrong - I lovelovelove it, but it can be a lot considering how much hair I have.  I've gotten away from it during the pandemic, but only in the sense that I just do like a 5 or 10 minute job, or just blow dry my hair straight (it never looks right, which is why I need to flat iron).  

I really liked how my hair looked after flat ironing it @greeneyedgirl107 . It used to take me a full hour to totally flat iron it. You could not get any water on it because my hair would get puffy. I have been letting my hair air dry lately and I have been happy with the results. It sounds like we have similar type of hair very thick and wavy.

@Loretta55 Yes - my hair is thick and wavy as well.  It has been taking me about 40 min or so to flat iron my hair.  But at some lengths it would take 75 min.  And I'm always super-protective of it so it doesn't frizz or puff up.  I wish my hair was the same texture as it used to be, though.  The first few years of flat ironing it got to flat and was so silky.  Like model hair.

Thank you for the tag @greeneyedgirl107 !

Maybe more activity based threads (Like Mask of the Week) that don't focus on makeup because people are just wearing it less. I will have to brainstorm some! 

I like seeing what everyone is cooking is the What's on your plate thread and what move/tv shows everyone is enjoy for what are you watching. It would definitely be good if we could bring more engagement in that way. 

@Kim888 All fabulous ideas!!!

@greeneyedgirl107 Thanks for the tag. We definitely need a Paula’s Choice thread. I intend to revive the holiday decorations thread closet to that time. I became much more active due to the 100 day lipstick challenge. I need to think about that for sure as one doesn’t come to mind. I think a non-beauty hauls thread or threads. Purses, shoes, etc. I am really into sending cards now. I like giving someone a tangible reminder that I care. Maybe some kind of card exchange/pen pal thing? I am not sure how to organize that. I know there’s a thread somewhere for where your username came from that I would like to find and revive to learn more about folks. That’s what comes to mind now…I may pop back in later.

@sprocketta I love all these ideas!  The non-beauty haul would be up a lot of BICer's alleys, I think.

It's interesting that you mentioned a card exchange, b/c I've been playing with that idea for a while.  IDK how we would do it to make it safe with address exchanges, though.  But I know that since so many of us have been corresponding for a while, and b/c there's a Unicorn Mail thread and a gift exchange and a trade thread and a TSB thread, I know it can be done.  ---<---@

Conversation Stats
Photos5
  • best-online-beauty-1588184589.jpg
  • 53CBA873-3740-4934-BDCB-22CBB8517614.jpeg
  • BE69DBBC-56B4-43F8-BC6A-EC85A66B3ADB.jpeg
  • C2DA6E19-F8B7-45E4-AEFA-719BB1644064.jpeg
  • pomegranate-cake.jpg
testing